Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
18-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #1

Oli getting fat ...

We have noticed over the last week that Oli has a rather tubby tummy and double chin (only when he is led down!!). He has been eating alot lately, so this is probably something to do with it.

At the moment he is eating upto four pouches (100g each) every day, aswell as some Royal Canin Kitten biscuits. He drinks small amounts of water.

I dont give him food until he has finished what is in the bowl and he usually goes to his bowl and meaws when he wants to be fed some more.

He is very active & has his 'crazy' time (running around and going mad) morning and night!

Am i over-feeding him or is does this sound ok? I dont want to end up with a fat, unhealthy cat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
18-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Re: Oli getting fat ...

Sounds alot to me. How old is he? When was he wormed last. Is he a rescue? The reason I ask is because he could have starved in the past and has " a food thing"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #3

I'm going to leave this one up to some of the more eperienced members. My Leia gets two tins of canned food a day (3 oz, or 85 grams) and approximately a half cup of dried food; she doesn't drink much water, and won't drink milk. She's on the portly side, weighs 14+ pounds, and isn't very active, she's 6 1/2. I tried some of the low-cal dried food, but she hates it!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
18-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #4

My cat guinness is rather large but he doesn't do anything except eat, sleep and use his litter tray. he can go out if he wants to but he is just to lazy and he hasn't got a big appitite him mum was realy tiny. They all have dry food down all the time but will have to figure something out because of simons diet. A friend of mine has 4 cats who get 2 tins of cat food and a dish of dry a day one is realy large bigger than guinness.

Almost a Veteran Member

18-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #5

He is about 6 months old now & I have had him since he was 13 weeks old (i got him from a breeder but he was rather skinny when i got him!)

He has been wormed every two weeks since i had him & was last wormed on Friday. Hope this helps!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #6

It does sound like alot of food to me but then again, like humans, cats metabolism can vary too, other factors are age and activity levels.
Personally, I'd suggest talking with your vet as he/she will probably know more about your cats history, age, breed etc and should be able to advise better.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
19-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #7

Alfie is 7 months and Rosie is 9 years - they get one tin of cat food and a cup of dried food between them a day. They are both chubby and have little belly droops. They get fed at 6.00 in the morning and 6.00 at night and that is all (apart from weekend when they get turkey (actually cheaper than any cat food)).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #8

Does sound like a lot of food to me. My lot get one pouch in the morning and one at night of wet food and there is always dried food down for them to graze on.
Four pouches a day does seem quite a lot and also kitten biscuits are more fattening - perhaps at 6 months old he could now be introduced to adult biscuits? Is the wet food kitten food too?

Almost a Veteran Member

19-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #9

No, the wet food is adult food because he doesnt like kitten wet food! These four pouches are only the equivalent to one tin, its doen't sound so much when you put it that way!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
No, the wet food is adult food because he doesnt like kitten wet food! These four pouches are only the equivalent to one tin, its doen't sound so much when you put it that way!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! LOL