PDA

View Full Version : Oliver and weightloss

Jeanette
27-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Well Oliver seriously needs to lose weight.. And I didnt really know how to go about it. The diet food from the vet's didnt really help. But now I've taken 10 grams of his dry food and sustituded with 40 grams of veggies. I started out with less, but he is constantly miauing and eating every last bit, so I just upped it a bit again.

I give him green beans and carrots. I cut them out in dry food sizes, and he's lost weight. Since we started ooh wuite a while back he's lost 800 grams (1.7 lbs) so we "only" have 1.5-2 kg (3.3-4.4 lbs) to go:D

The vet told me to add veggies but not how much, so when I take Luna in next time, I'm just gonna ask them... But it seems to be working.

He's losing weight and has become a lot more active lately aswell:)

dinahsmum
27-04-2006, 11:06 AM
That's good!
As he loses weight he should exercise more as well, and get into a 'virtuous circle' - slimmer/fitter/slimmer/fitter.
Keep it up.

Jeanette
27-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Thank you:)

Yes I will keep it up:)

Soon you'll have pics of a slim Ollie:)

Julie84
27-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Well done Oliver (and you!) :)

That's really good, and as DM says, should get easier now as he will start feeling better in himself.

I didn't realise cats would eat veggies (or that it was beneficial to them), I thought they were obligate cornivores. :-? I have seen more and more complete foods claiming to have vegetables in though, is this a new thing or have cats always meant to have veg in their diets?

Donna
27-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Just up the exercise for him if you can to increase the weight loss. Can you play with him and get him racing around??

Jeanette
27-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Well cats are carnivores. And its an idea I've adapted from an american labradorsite I go to. They substitude some of the dog's food with green beans. They are supposed to be good fillers...

Oliver was a bit hesitant the first day, but I know he likes peas (and potatopeels silly thing:roll: ), so thought green beans couldnt be worse.. And he eats it all:)

Jeanette
27-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Just up the exercise for him if you can to increase the weight loss. Can you play with him and get him racing around??

I can try, but he's never been that playful..

But its worth a try:)

Fran
27-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Well done J. That's great news!!! Keep up the good work ;)

yola
27-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Great news!!! As he gets more energy maybe he'll be more inclined to play? I think as long as Oliver gets a goodly amount of meat the addition of some vegetables should be no problem!

Hreow
27-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Cats are supposed to have some veg in their diet (they would get that from the stomach-contents of their prey), and I don't think it does them any harm (unless poisonous, of course) to use veg as a filler, if your cat will eat it. They *are* obligate carnivores, so they won't get anything "good" out of it, just less calories for the bulk. Which is good, if they like their food but need to lose weight. :-)

Keep inviting him to play. The new, svelte Oliver might like it, you never know.

Mags
27-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Well done Oliver....and Jeanette!!

You are certainly taking the trouble to do the best for your pets J....good for you!:D

Jeanette
27-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank you all.

I dont feed Oliver raw.. He wont eat the meat served for him, but he WILL try to steal Luna's... nutty cat:roll: :lol: :lol:

Thank you Mags:) they are my babies:D

Booktigger
27-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Am glad to hear it is working, I might try it on Tom, he has lost a decent amount of weight, but he has turned into such a scavenger - can't have food down all the time as he wolfs it, and also cos he has to have his food watched, and because of his weight loss, I need to keep an eye on how much I put down, and not give in just to stop him trying to find his own at 5am - always at 5am, and putting extra biscuits down just before the lights go off doesn't work!!

Jeanette
28-04-2006, 06:25 AM
I feed Oliver like this:

20 grams of dryfood in the morning thrown on the floor.
10 grams of dryfood and 40 grams of veggies at dinnertime and the last
10 grams of dryfood thrown on the floor before bedtime

He will wake me up early those days I dont have work. I've been home sick for 3 days and it hasnt gotten later than 5.30 am before he's woken me up. Usually we get up at 4.45 am.

Sweet
28-04-2006, 07:51 AM
((((((hugs)))))) to Oliver on his new diet x

Jeanette
28-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I'll make sure he gets that, as soon as I get home from work:)

Naomi
28-04-2006, 11:36 AM
J thats fab!!

Booktigger
28-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Tom isn't allowed that much dry food though, but i have started throwing his supper biscuits for him, so he has to run and get them. Do you just give him green beans as veggies?

Jeanette
28-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Tom isn't allowed that much dry food though, but i have started throwing his supper biscuits for him, so he has to run and get them. Do you just give him green beans as veggies?

Hi

Yes I buy frozen beans and baby carrots. And thaw them in the fridge (I take them up from the freezer 24 hours before. Then I cut them into sizes the same as the dry food, and put them in his bowl with the share of dry food.

I'll take some pics of before and after tomoz:)

Jeanette
28-04-2006, 06:06 PM
J thats fab!!

Ta Nae:) I think so too:)

Jeanette
29-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Here's pics as promised:)

The first is of the beans and carrots cut out in smaller pieces:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/oliverdk/olliefood290406.jpg

The second and third is with the dryfood added:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/oliverdk/olliefood2904061.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/oliverdk/olliefood2904062.jpg

And he ate it all;)

Fran
29-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow J, don't think my lot would eat veggies :? Looks very appetizing, I could almost eat that myself ;) :-D Well done on the weight loss :D

Jeanette
29-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Oliver is stealing it while I cut it out:D And he purrs while I cut it out. Silly cat.

I knew he would eat it.. Cos in the summertime he is bugging me, when I buy fresh peas... And he's stealing the potatopeels whenever I peel potatoes for dinner:roll:

Booktigger
29-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Will have to try that next week for Tom.