Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
27-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #1

Oliver and weightloss

Well Oliver seriously needs to lose weight.. And I didnt really know how to go about it. The diet food from the vet's didnt really help. But now I've taken 10 grams of his dry food and sustituded with 40 grams of veggies. I started out with less, but he is constantly miauing and eating every last bit, so I just upped it a bit again.

I give him green beans and carrots. I cut them out in dry food sizes, and he's lost weight. Since we started ooh wuite a while back he's lost 800 grams (1.7 lbs) so we "only" have 1.5-2 kg (3.3-4.4 lbs) to go

The vet told me to add veggies but not how much, so when I take Luna in next time, I'm just gonna ask them... But it seems to be working.

He's losing weight and has become a lot more active lately aswell

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
27-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #2

Re: Oliver and weightloss

That's good!
As he loses weight he should exercise more as well, and get into a 'virtuous circle' - slimmer/fitter/slimmer/fitter.
Keep it up.

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #3

Thank you

Yes I will keep it up

Soon you'll have pics of a slim Ollie

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
27-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Well done Oliver (and you!)

That's really good, and as DM says, should get easier now as he will start feeling better in himself.

I didn't realise cats would eat veggies (or that it was beneficial to them), I thought they were obligate cornivores. I have seen more and more complete foods claiming to have vegetables in though, is this a new thing or have cats always meant to have veg in their diets?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
27-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #5

Just up the exercise for him if you can to increase the weight loss. Can you play with him and get him racing around??

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #6

Well cats are carnivores. And its an idea I've adapted from an american labradorsite I go to. They substitude some of the dog's food with green beans. They are supposed to be good fillers...

Oliver was a bit hesitant the first day, but I know he likes peas (and potatopeels silly thing ), so thought green beans couldnt be worse.. And he eats it all

Catsey Veteran

27-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Just up the exercise for him if you can to increase the weight loss. Can you play with him and get him racing around??
I can try, but he's never been that playful..

But its worth a try

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
27-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #8

Well done J. That's great news!!! Keep up the good work

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #9

Great news!!! As he gets more energy maybe he'll be more inclined to play? I think as long as Oliver gets a goodly amount of meat the addition of some vegetables should be no problem!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
27-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #10

Cats are supposed to have some veg in their diet (they would get that from the stomach-contents of their prey), and I don't think it does them any harm (unless poisonous, of course) to use veg as a filler, if your cat will eat it. They *are* obligate carnivores, so they won't get anything "good" out of it, just less calories for the bulk. Which is good, if they like their food but need to lose weight.

Keep inviting him to play. The new, svelte Oliver might like it, you never know.