PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me decide?

moggymommy
19-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I found myself torn between a choice of 2 kittens, and I cant decide which one I want! Well, if I could have my way I would have both but I cant at the moment :( It was by accident that I found 2 to choose from, and I'm really stuck.

One is an 8 month old spayed female tortie and white GCCF registered Manx, she is beautiful and show quality (when she gets a little bigger)
The other is from the same breeder, a pure white Manx with a tail (therefor not registered) with odd eyes, she is only about 7 weeks old atm and will be available at the end of May.

I'm erring on the side of the 8 month old because it is a fantastic opportunity to own a rumpy Manx cat (they are very rare) suitable for entering into the Manx section of shows, but tbh that doesnt really bother me, I've never entered a show before and would be perfectly happy to enter the pet section, and also when she has grown up a little I could hopefully add a white odd eyed kitten to the family.
On the other hand the odd eyes is absolutely stunning, I'm really taken with it, and being pure white I think she would be the perfect companion for my pure black cat.

Both are so unique but for totally different reasons and I just cant make my mind up which I would rather have. We had Manx cats when I was growing up and they are really good cats, and obviously I wouldnt be getting either of them for the sole purpose of showing them, just in case thats how this sounds, they would be much loved pets, entering shows is only a maybe as its something I've never done but would just be a little bit of fun for me and my daughter because I think she would enjoy it.

What would you do? I'm trying to think it through rationally before I make any decision, and indeed I might decide on neither in the end.

Mags
19-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Have you got any pics of them?

yola
19-04-2006, 02:15 PM
You can't think through a decision like that rationally (unless your Dinahsmum of course ;) ;) ) I think a large part of it will be to follow your heart.

Can't you have them both? That would immediately solve the dilemma - surely there must be some way to gt both??? :D :D

On a more serious note - something to consider with totally white cats is that they can be deaf. It's by no means all cats, but is typical of the colour.

I'm sure that's of zero help ;) but if you could post pictures we could have vote :shock: :shock: :shock:

bobbie3917
19-04-2006, 02:21 PM
how about going to the breeders and spending a bit of time with them both and see which 1 you like best and which 1 likes you best

Hreow
19-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you like the white better, but think the tortie a better opportunity. If you're not planning on giving it a career of showing, the white sounds like a better option. Spend some time with the breeder and kittens, they may all have good ideas or suggestions.

Julie84
19-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Aww, is there no way you can have both? When I got my boys as kittens, it was such a help that they each had kitten company in each other as it meant they had a friend to cuddle up to (so the new house was less daunting) and a mad play mate so I worried less about leaving them when I went to work (although they just sleep all day! :roll: ). I do think same species company is really important for sociable animals though - there's only so much as humans we can offer (I do draw the line at mutual grooming! ;) )

Otherwise, from the sounds of it, the odd eyed baby seems to have your heart. :smt049 He sounds gorgeous - and he has a lovely tail to stroke (I'd miss having tails to stroke!) and I don't know. As Yola says, if you can't have both, only you can decide - you'll know deep down which cat is a better 'match'.

Oh dear, I don't think any of that makes sense. :oops:

CJK
19-04-2006, 02:32 PM
if you CANT have both then the only thing i can suggest is if you're not looking at it from a showing point of view, pcik whichever you take to ehart the msot. NOt always easy!

good luck though

dinahsmum
19-04-2006, 02:43 PM
If you'd really like to show, go tortie. If you want a soulmate it sounds like you've fallen for odd-eyes.
Go with your heart!

Fran
19-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Good luck which ever you decide on!! I think only you can make this decision ;)

Donna
19-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Good luck. Tis a hard choice x

Sweet
19-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Good Luck and hopefully we can see pics soon :) x

sweetmimi
19-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I dont think I could make a choice as they both sound wonderful but good luck with which ever one you have, Think I would be so tempted to have both myself though.

Snoof
19-04-2006, 05:48 PM
I would also have both :roll: In fact Matt told me last night that he would quite like to have a small herd of cats eventually, especially with Ninja to lead them (astray :roll: :lol:).

In the end, whether you show or breed or do neither, a cat is always going to be a little person living with you, so I would choose based on personality. Can you spend some time with them and figure out which has the best personality for your household?

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree that if you absolutely cannot take both, and are not really that much into showing. take the one you really, really want...amd I suspect it'll be the white boy. By the way, I remember reading somewhere that ODD eyed whites may only be deaf in one ear, not totally!

moggymommy
19-04-2006, 09:15 PM
http://www.danzantemanx.com/kittens.htm

The tortie and white is the first one on the page, and the white odd-eye is the 8th one down..Danzante Rainorshine (flurry) but you dont see the odd eye effect until the cats get a little bit bigger.

I'll be back in a bit to type a proper reply!

dandysmom
19-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Darlings....I want them all!!!!

smudgley
19-04-2006, 09:31 PM
They are all beauties.
Difficult decision ~ I'd have to go & meet them & see who I thought would be best suited to my family. :)
Good luck whatever you decide - they are all lovely.

Kazz
19-04-2006, 09:34 PM
They are lovely but I am with Smudgley I would meet them and then follow my heart - its never led me astray in cat choosing yet.:) Find the kitten and character that suits you. If not one of those two walk away.
Karen

Fran
19-04-2006, 09:39 PM
They are all gorgeous!! What a difficult choice :?

moggymommy
19-04-2006, 10:10 PM
There are some more pictures of Flurry the little odd eyed babe here..
http://www.danzantemanx.com/blizzardandchas_kittens.htm

After reading all you replies (thanks btw) I realised you are all right and it was the odd eyes that really had my attention and it was just the 'opportunity' in Millie I was interested in, totally the wrong reason to choose a kitten!! It was purely by accident I came accross her anyway, I was looking for a tortie and white kitten for my mum, not for me, I only emailed the breeder to enquire, I wasnt expecting a reply back saying they had one available! She isnt keen though due to the cost and I felt like she was missing out therefor I was missing out too, doesnt really make any sense does it!! Never mind, it is her loss and there is no sense in me getting a kitten just because it what my mum wants but wont get :?

I havent deffinitly decided to have Flurry but I will keep you all updated, I have a sneaky feeling I will get her (providing the breeder agrees to sell her to me) tho! :D ;) :lol:

Its really exciting actually, any time I've had a kitten in the past its been a moggy chosen and collected there and then, but the build up and anticipation if I do go ahead is only going to make it a million times better!

Snoof
19-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Excellent :-) I'm glad you figured out what you want. Keep us posted!

Edit: And my, she really is stunning :-D

Hreow
20-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Felt the same way when getting Rover. I knew I wanted an Aby, and I liked the look of his mum, so I got in touch with the breeder (who's ace, asked all the right questions and answered any number of mine). At four-and-a-half weeks, when I went to see the litter, Rover picked me. Breeder agreed that he was the right kitten for me and then I waited and waited and waited and waited. Had all of his kit before the second visit, had read everything in sight about kitten-care... Eight weeks is a *very* long time. I'm glad he got that time with his mum and siblings, though. They raised a very pleasant kitten between them. *And* I got to experience the "Christmas when you're very little" sort of magical expectation and joy.

yola
20-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Waiting for a kitten you've reserved until it's 12 week and ready to leave the breeder is like nothing else . . . as Hreow says, just like Christmas!!

Flurry is a real little sweet heart - I hope you decide to take her, the odd eyed thing is rather charming I must admit. Do let us know when you've finally decided!

moggymommy
22-04-2006, 05:09 PM
OK, the more I think about it the more I know I want Flurry the odd eyed kitten, the more I look at her pics the more I know, I can look at pics of kittens and think they're nice but not want them, but I want Flurry, the breeder lives quite a way away so it isnt easy to just pop along whenever I want.
I've never bought a kitten from a breeder, I've only ever had mogs so I'm just wondering what to expect, wil she want to vet me to make sure I am a responsible person/pet owner and how can I prove to her I am?

CJK
22-04-2006, 05:10 PM
she may ask you for some evidence, or may be happy from jsut meeting you.
ASk her, am sure she will talk to you about it

cant wait to see piccies

Sweet
22-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Soooooooo pretty and fluffy and cuddly - go with your heart x

Keep us posted x

Hreow
22-04-2006, 08:18 PM
...I've never bought a kitten from a breeder, I've only ever had mogs so I'm just wondering what to expect, wil she want to vet me to make sure I am a responsible person/pet owner and how can I prove to her I am?
Just talk to her about cats, why you like them, what sort of life you envision for Flurry - all she's looking for is someone who will love the kitten and take good care of it. You've had cats, so you know what it is like. Tell her something about your former cats. Ask questions - anything you'd like to know. What she's been fed, cat-sand, all the usual things you need to know to make Flurry feel welcome. Any person who's been properly bossed about by a feline should have absolutely no problems passing that fitness-test. You'll pass with flying colours.

dandysmom
22-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Most of my cats either "found" me, or were given to me by friends. The 2 times I bought from a breeder, I came armed with pictures of my previous cats, pictures of the lovely screened porch they would enjoy, and lots of sensible questions about the food they had been on, litter types they were used to, etc; so the breeder could tell I was a responsible & loving cat owner...passed with flying colors !! Actually, I became so friendly with the breeder of Dandy, my Singapura, that we talked fairly regularly on the phone & exchanged Xmas cards (complete with piccies!) for the 12, too short, years of Dandy's life. Unfortunately, the breeder has since passed away also. Sad. Don't worry, you're going to do just fine!!

moggymommy
23-04-2006, 02:57 PM
OK, I have a pic :D I hope its ok to post it on this thread, and I hope it works!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g133/worthatry/flurry1230406.jpg

You can really see her blue eye in this photo, her other eye will develop into amber/orange but the blue one will stay this colour.

yola
23-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh just look at that face!!! I can see why you've fallen for her :D I think the odd-coloured eyes just add to her charm; she's superb!!!

I'm sure the breeder will see you for the responsible cat-owner you are and will be thrilled to hand Flurry over . . . good luck!! :-D

Snoof
23-04-2006, 04:20 PM
She's truly gorgeous! And so dignified, even at her age!

Hreow
23-04-2006, 04:45 PM
She's adorable. Easy to see why you fell for her!

Sweet
23-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Beautiful, may I ask, how come odd eyes? I never knew they could have? x

moggymommy
23-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I dont know how the odd eyes come about but I am going to ask the breeder tomorrow. It is very interesting isnt it :)

dandysmom
23-04-2006, 08:55 PM
She's a little love! No wonder you fell for her...such a sweet face:D

moggymommy
24-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I have excellent news :-D

Flurry will be coming to live with us at the end of May/beginning of June. It is going to be the longest month in history :lol:

:smt007

Hreow
24-04-2006, 04:11 PM
That is *excellent* news! Told you you'd have no problems showing yourself off as the perfect Flurry-slave. And condolences on a May that will last eons. : /
That's put a smile on my face, and I'm not even the one getting her.

yola
24-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm so pleased Flurry will be coming to live with you, MM!!!!!

She looks a perfect poppet - can't wait till end of May for you :shock:

Snoof
24-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Yay! Congratulations!

Mags
24-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Excellent news!

Donna
24-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Gonna be a long month for you!!!

Snoof
24-04-2006, 06:51 PM
A long, long month (hurry up, kittenseason! I'm with you there!)... But one that'll be sooo worth it :-D

http://www.snoof.co.uk/Cat2.gif