Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

19-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #1

Can you help me decide?

I found myself torn between a choice of 2 kittens, and I cant decide which one I want! Well, if I could have my way I would have both but I cant at the moment It was by accident that I found 2 to choose from, and I'm really stuck.

One is an 8 month old spayed female tortie and white GCCF registered Manx, she is beautiful and show quality (when she gets a little bigger)
The other is from the same breeder, a pure white Manx with a tail (therefor not registered) with odd eyes, she is only about 7 weeks old atm and will be available at the end of May.

I'm erring on the side of the 8 month old because it is a fantastic opportunity to own a rumpy Manx cat (they are very rare) suitable for entering into the Manx section of shows, but tbh that doesnt really bother me, I've never entered a show before and would be perfectly happy to enter the pet section, and also when she has grown up a little I could hopefully add a white odd eyed kitten to the family.
On the other hand the odd eyes is absolutely stunning, I'm really taken with it, and being pure white I think she would be the perfect companion for my pure black cat.

Both are so unique but for totally different reasons and I just cant make my mind up which I would rather have. We had Manx cats when I was growing up and they are really good cats, and obviously I wouldnt be getting either of them for the sole purpose of showing them, just in case thats how this sounds, they would be much loved pets, entering shows is only a maybe as its something I've never done but would just be a little bit of fun for me and my daughter because I think she would enjoy it.

What would you do? I'm trying to think it through rationally before I make any decision, and indeed I might decide on neither in the end.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #2

Re: Can you help me decide?

Have you got any pics of them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #3

You can't think through a decision like that rationally (unless your Dinahsmum of course ) I think a large part of it will be to follow your heart.

Can't you have them both? That would immediately solve the dilemma - surely there must be some way to gt both???

On a more serious note - something to consider with totally white cats is that they can be deaf. It's by no means all cats, but is typical of the colour.

I'm sure that's of zero help but if you could post pictures we could have vote

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
19-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #4

how about going to the breeders and spending a bit of time with them both and see which 1 you like best and which 1 likes you best

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
19-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #5

Sounds like you like the white better, but think the tortie a better opportunity. If you're not planning on giving it a career of showing, the white sounds like a better option. Spend some time with the breeder and kittens, they may all have good ideas or suggestions.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
19-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #6

Aww, is there no way you can have both? When I got my boys as kittens, it was such a help that they each had kitten company in each other as it meant they had a friend to cuddle up to (so the new house was less daunting) and a mad play mate so I worried less about leaving them when I went to work (although they just sleep all day! ). I do think same species company is really important for sociable animals though - there's only so much as humans we can offer (I do draw the line at mutual grooming! )

Otherwise, from the sounds of it, the odd eyed baby seems to have your heart. He sounds gorgeous - and he has a lovely tail to stroke (I'd miss having tails to stroke!) and I don't know. As Yola says, if you can't have both, only you can decide - you'll know deep down which cat is a better 'match'.

Oh dear, I don't think any of that makes sense.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

if you CANT have both then the only thing i can suggest is if you're not looking at it from a showing point of view, pcik whichever you take to ehart the msot. NOt always easy!

good luck though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

If you'd really like to show, go tortie. If you want a soulmate it sounds like you've fallen for odd-eyes.
Go with your heart!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #9

Good luck which ever you decide on!! I think only you can make this decision

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
19-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #10

Good luck. Tis a hard choice x