PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering?

MBll
03-04-2006, 09:46 PM
On other site there is someone looking for an older cat for grandparents whos both in the ninteys, would rescues consider rehoming a cat at that age?

Booktigger
03-04-2006, 10:25 PM
The charity I foster for rehomed to a 92 year old last year, but only after talking to her support person (she was in sheltered accomodation) to see if anyone was willing to help out with shopping etc, and if someone was willing to take the cat on afterwards. As the woman was prepared to do both, we rehomed and made a little old dear very happy. We did home to another elderly person, but I forget how old they are, I think they know that if something happens and none of them can help, they are to ring the rescue and we will take the cat back on. I think that as long as there is the support, it is a good thing to do, as it gives them a companion, and as long as the cat is more of a homecat, i think they will get a lot of enjoyment out of someone who is at home a lot.

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 02:24 AM
I think that's just wonderful...I hope when I get (hopefully!) to that age that I'd be able to have a companion cat...cannot imagine life without one!:D

Booktigger
04-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I also can't imagine life without my cats. My 80 year old neighbour has said he doesn't want any more when his remaining cat goes, his reasons are he doesn't want one that will outlive him, and he doesn't want to go through the pain of losing a cat again. Luckily though, he has 3 neighbours cats that go in, plus the neighbours dog, so he gets the joy of companionship anyway.

emma_pen
04-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I would rehome a cat to someone that age as long as there were provisions for the cat to either go into another home or come back to me, if and when that person passed away. I have an oldie cat looking for a home right now, who would love a home with old people!

dinahsmum
04-04-2006, 08:57 AM
If you think of it, a quiet older cat, particularly a cuddly one, and a lonely old person are perfect companions (subject to the practicalities)

Rosie
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
My father lost his dog Spike, that had been his best friend for 15 years, when dad was 91 he died less than 12 months later. His whole sense of purpose seemed to have gone. It didn't matter what the weather was like my dad took Spike out for his walk every single day whether dad felt under the weather or not. I think a companion animal stops a lot of people whether old or young from being lonely and gives them a sense of responsibility.

Snoof
04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I agree, BT, and a sense of purpose. Sorry to hear about your dad :(

Donna
04-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I think its a good idea if there are provisions for the cat in the event of the older owner passing away. I would like to think I would always have a cat, as they are such good company.

Kim
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I think it is a great idea to re-home an oldie cat to an OAP, provided there is somewhere for the cat to go if the owner died first. On another site a member was looking for an oldie dog for her mother who is in her nineties.

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 09:41 PM
My father lost his dog Spike, that had been his best friend for 15 years, when dad was 91 he died less than 12 months later. His whole sense of purpose seemed to have gone. It didn't matter what the weather was like my dad took Spike out for his walk every single day whether dad felt under the weather or not. I think a companion animal stops a lot of people whether old or young from being lonely and gives them a sense of responsibility.
That happened to an elderly neighbor of mine; she adored her two elderly dogs & you could see the three of them out walking slowly in all sorts of weather; when the dogs died, she just went downhill fast & had to go to a nursing home, & is not doing well there:cry:

Sweet
04-04-2006, 09:55 PM
I think its a good idea x