Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2
03-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #1

Just Wondering?

On other site there is someone looking for an older cat for grandparents whos both in the ninteys, would rescues consider rehoming a cat at that age?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
03-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #2

Re: Just Wondering?

The charity I foster for rehomed to a 92 year old last year, but only after talking to her support person (she was in sheltered accomodation) to see if anyone was willing to help out with shopping etc, and if someone was willing to take the cat on afterwards. As the woman was prepared to do both, we rehomed and made a little old dear very happy. We did home to another elderly person, but I forget how old they are, I think they know that if something happens and none of them can help, they are to ring the rescue and we will take the cat back on. I think that as long as there is the support, it is a good thing to do, as it gives them a companion, and as long as the cat is more of a homecat, i think they will get a lot of enjoyment out of someone who is at home a lot.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #3

I think that's just wonderful...I hope when I get (hopefully!) to that age that I'd be able to have a companion cat...cannot imagine life without one!

Almost a Veteran Member

04-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #4

I also can't imagine life without my cats. My 80 year old neighbour has said he doesn't want any more when his remaining cat goes, his reasons are he doesn't want one that will outlive him, and he doesn't want to go through the pain of losing a cat again. Luckily though, he has 3 neighbours cats that go in, plus the neighbours dog, so he gets the joy of companionship anyway.

Catsey Junior

04-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #5

I would rehome a cat to someone that age as long as there were provisions for the cat to either go into another home or come back to me, if and when that person passed away. I have an oldie cat looking for a home right now, who would love a home with old people!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #6

If you think of it, a quiet older cat, particularly a cuddly one, and a lonely old person are perfect companions (subject to the practicalities)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #7

My father lost his dog Spike, that had been his best friend for 15 years, when dad was 91 he died less than 12 months later. His whole sense of purpose seemed to have gone. It didn't matter what the weather was like my dad took Spike out for his walk every single day whether dad felt under the weather or not. I think a companion animal stops a lot of people whether old or young from being lonely and gives them a sense of responsibility.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
04-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #8

I agree, BT, and a sense of purpose. Sorry to hear about your dad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #9

I think its a good idea if there are provisions for the cat in the event of the older owner passing away. I would like to think I would always have a cat, as they are such good company.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #10

I think it is a great idea to re-home an oldie cat to an OAP, provided there is somewhere for the cat to go if the owner died first. On another site a member was looking for an oldie dog for her mother who is in her nineties.