PDA

View Full Version : Shopping List For CJ

Kay
11-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I know you have been madly reading up on what to get but there are some things you may not have got.

1) Long finger nails- you may need to sever the cordyourself and long finger nails are far better than anything else, hands washed in anti-bacterial wash of course. So start growing them.
2) Heatpad - which I know you have been looking into. I found the heatpad from Argos to be perfect. Just the right size and three heat settings.
3) Face cloths - Not nice soft fluffy ones but cheap rough ones and plenty of them. They need to be rough in case you need to stimulate a baby.
4) Blankets/Fleeces - A good stock of these is needed as they will need to be changed regularly. Not the cellular blankets as the kittens get caught in them. I buy my fleeces from the cat shows and cut them up much cheaper that way.
5) Lactol - Very important to have a tin of Lactol or equivalent in case you need to hand feed or top up any babies.
6) Oral Syringes - I get 1ml oral syringes from my vet as babies need only the tiniest amount and very slowly. If your vet doesn't have any let me know.
7) Weighing Scales - Persian kittens are notoriously poor feeders and therefore need to be weighed everyday to check they are gaining weight regularly. Get a digital set that go up in individual grams so you can keep an exact eye on their weight.
8) Notepad and Pen - to record the above, of course.

These are all essentials but I also have:-

9) Babies Bottles - To mix the feeds up in.
10) Babies Sterilizer - for sterilizing anything for the kittens like the bottles and syringes.
11) Babies Bottle Warmer - To warm the feed up.

Of course these 3 are not essential but I find them really handy.
Hope this helps.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Snoof
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Oh, how useful! I sew (soft toys and such, as a general rule) and I buy fleece at 5.99/metre. If you need me to pick some up (fleece doesn't fray so it's really easy to just cut up to size), tell me what colour and I'll post it along with the litter drops.

Fran
11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Kay, do you use Dopram V drops to stimulate non breathing new borns?

Booktigger
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I read that you shouldn't use heat pads with kittens as they can overheat?

CJK
11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

GROW MY FINGER NAILS??????

you're hoping arent you??????

The only time I manage to grow my finger nails is when I'm pregnant, for some reason they grow super fast then, so does my hair.

Much As i love princess and SAY i would do ANYTHING for my cats, i'm not getting pregnant to grow my nails lmao

blimey, well i have that cat replacement milk from when i hand reared the baby bunnies, but it's been opend so i need to check if it keeps or not and if i can use it for the kittens now it's bene opened.

I ahve ONE 1ml syringue, but I know bothmy vets AND boots stock them.

I ahve heard of face cloths being used, havent got around to getting any yet ( so there goes your silly notions that I'm well organised!*!*!*!*)

also read i need scissors and thread???

i got a sterliser and bottle warmer in the loft, if i can find the blinking things.

fleece blankets, i not sure WHERE i can get them from, is that literally to put in thier beds? or doi wrap them up or soemthing? cos i got two baby fleeces the cats have now elliots grown out of them. is two enough?

also read for the birth to get kitche roll to line the birthing box, gloves (for me of course lol)...

so much to thinka bout!!!

but I am making a list of the things i need to buy, so thanks Kay, at elast i know where to start

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Fran I don't use the drops. I have a special tube a friend got me from America to suck any fluid off the kittens chest it is also used for sloly and gently breathing a little air into the lungs. Booktigger, kittens chill very quickly, especially Persians, when their mum leaves the pen to feed etc, mine are always kept on a heatpad at the lowest setting and I have never had any problems with babies overheating or chilling. All the breeders I know use them and I have never know anybody have a problem

CJK
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
oh kay, i cant find that heat pad in arogs, the one i was going to get doesnt have heat settings so not sure i should get it.

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I have never needed thread and don't like using scissors to cut cords as it gives a too clean a cut. It needs to be severed that's why finger nails are best. If you can't grow them then sterilized scissors will have to do but rather then cutting straight do it jagged if that makes sense. The baby fleeces will be ideal as long as there are no fancy holes in them but two is no where near enough. Go along to a material shop and buy some fleece and cut it up into squares that will cover the bottom of the kittening box. They are for the kittens to lie on not to be wrapped up in. I wouldn't bother with gloves the smell of them could upset the mother just scrub your hands with a good anti-bacterial wash. You can get some from your vet. Lining the box with kitchen roll could get a bit messy, I use cheap towels that can either be washed or if they are that bad thrown away. You will need plenty of them as well. Don't forget to weigh them every day this is really, really important. Tiny kittens who are not gaining weight can go down hill really quickly.

CJK
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
the baby fleeces are jsut small soft fleece blankets. OK,will get some more, and some old towels or cheap towels in that case.
Think 10 towels and 10 flannels enough? ( i'm guessing here) or more?

Will pop tomy local material shop see what she got.

OOOOOOOh it's so exciting, but soooo long to wait!

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:26 PM
oh kay, i cant find that heat pad in arogs, the one i was going to get doesnt have heat settings so not sure i should get it.

Just found this one on e-bay it is at £7.00 and has just over a day to go with no bids on it. It is very similar to the ones I use. Just use it on the first setting. Heres the link, hopefully

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-HEAT-PAD_W0QQitemZ5675366798QQcategoryZ1277QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:30 PM
the baby fleeces are jsut small soft fleece blankets. OK,will get some more, and some old towels or cheap towels in that case.
Think 10 towels and 10 flannels enough? ( i'm guessing here) or more?

Will pop tomy local material shop see what she got.

OOOOOOOh it's so exciting, but soooo long to wait!

The baby fleeces will be fine. I would say 10 of each is a good number. You may not use them all but at least you have them in. What you don't use I will buy off you if you don't need them. It's a pity you can't get to a cat show as they usually have stalls that sell fleeces resonable but your local material shop will be as good. That's where I got my last lot from.

Donna
11-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I just took lots of my son's old fleece sweatshirts to the charity shop - could CJ use any old fleeces her children might of grown out of to cut up Kay?

CJK
11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
i got two old fleece jackets to be honest, that i was going to give to the charity shop.
I dont mind buying stuff that i need though.

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Never thought of that Donna but I don't see why not as long as there are only flat pieces with no fasteners, pockets etc that kittens could harm theselves on. Another thing I have used in the past is some of those fleecy mattress covers. I got them cheap at a car boot, washed them and cut them up they were great.

CJK
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
oooooooh do you mean the ones with the fake sheepskin bits?? i got them for both the kids but the bloody things kept gathering up into balls under the sheets, wouldnt mind cutting them up.

tell you waht kay, i'll send PF over to you (via royal limo of course) and you send her and the kittens back ok?? lol

JOKE!

Kay
11-03-2006, 04:50 PM
oooooooh do you mean the ones with the fake sheepskin bits?? i got them for both the kids but the bloody things kept gathering up into balls under the sheets, wouldnt mind cutting them up.

tell you waht kay, i'll send PF over to you (via royal limo of course) and you send her and the kittens back ok?? lol

JOKE!

Not a problem already got two due around then. What's another one ;) ;)
You would miss all the fun though.:lol: :lol:
They are the mattress covers I mean they are ideal so get cutting.

CJK
11-03-2006, 05:05 PM
great, i'll LOVE cutting them up cos all theyve done is bloody annoy the kids and me lol!!!!!!

Mags
11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Don't forget a mobile CJ!:-D

Kay
11-03-2006, 05:08 PM
great, i'll LOVE cutting them up cos all theyve done is bloody annoy the kids and me lol!!!!!!

That will keep you busy. Did you look on the e-bay link. That is well worth bidding on. Good luck.

CJK
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
a mobile???PHONE?? Or cat toy one? lol

ok, flannels, fleece, ehat pad, long nails...mobile...and gin!!!

Snoof
11-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Don't forget a mobile CJ!:-D
:lol: Methinks teethers will come in handier :lol:

CJK
11-03-2006, 08:06 PM
bloody typical, I spent half hour trawlling through the airing cupboard, geting it all out, sorting it etc, trying to find those sheepskin bed things, cant find, so rang hubby and what does he tell me? He threw them out ages ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

arghhhh

so far i got 2 small baby blankets, one larger one i can cut in half, 7 old towels jsut out of my cupboards, got three rough flannels, the rest arent really rough.

decided I am going to buy a pencil, NOT A PEN (so ner ner ner kay) lol, JUST because knowing my luck the pen will run out!! also added a stopwatch tot hat list kay, to imte contractions etc. (got that already)

blimey, I'm in a flap now trying to get it all ready.

I know i got ages but I am one of these people that if i know something needs doing i get wound up and aggitated until it's sorted.
i'll prob pack it all into two boxes, one for labour, one for kittens, and then I'll check it, double check it triple check it, unpack it, re-pack, check it lol

Kay
11-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Calm down CJ it will all come together. You don't need a stopwatch just a clock and seen as you are getting a pencil not a pen you better get a pencil sharpener as well.:lol: :lol: :lol:

CJK
11-03-2006, 10:10 PM
didnt think of pencil sharpner!!!!
just thought knowing my luck pen will run out.

Ok, i'll get a crayon lol.

Ok ok, i'll buy a brand new pen!!!

It is so annoying me that Now i know what i need i dont ahve it all.
Like i said i'm one of those people who if i kow i have something to do I want it done like ten minutes ago, it stems from when I had OCD. Think maybe the OCD still creeps in on a few things, just wish i was one of those with OCD who goes nuts on the hosuework, though my kids tell me i do!

Fran
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
bloody typical, I spent half hour trawlling through the airing cupboard, geting it all out, sorting it etc, trying to find those sheepskin bed things, cant find, so rang hubby and what does he tell me? He threw them out ages ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

arghhhh

so far i got 2 small baby blankets, one larger one i can cut in half, 7 old towels jsut out of my cupboards, got three rough flannels, the rest arent really rough.

decided I am going to buy a pencil, NOT A PEN (so ner ner ner kay) lol, JUST because knowing my luck the pen will run out!! also added a stopwatch tot hat list kay, to imte contractions etc. (got that already)

blimey, I'm in a flap now trying to get it all ready.

I know i got ages but I am one of these people that if i know something needs doing i get wound up and aggitated until it's sorted.
i'll prob pack it all into two boxes, one for labour, one for kittens, and then I'll check it, double check it triple check it, unpack it, re-pack, check it lol

Calm down CJ!! :-D It will all come together, trust me ;) What you don't have you will manage without and improvise :)

Luke
11-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if PF went off into a cupboard and delivered her babies of her own accord......

CJK
11-03-2006, 10:18 PM
still think I need a feline dula!!!!! (dula/ dala however you pronounce it)

you should have seenme having my own kdis! had my hospital bags packed from 6 weeks!!! (mind you it was good job i did cos with both of them i was in hospital more than iw as out)

CJK
11-03-2006, 10:18 PM
OI LUKE, SHUT UP!! lol
now you're tempting fate.

< off to lock all cupboards with kiddy locks lmao

Luke
11-03-2006, 10:23 PM
OI LUKE, SHUT UP!! lol
now you're tempting fate.

< off to lock all cupboards with kiddy locks lmao
Wouldnt be the first time its happened..i remember once amongst the years one of our old queens, Sootica got caught just before her and her sis were going to be neutered..and i remember my mother flaffing her head off and getting everything ready..and Sootica went and had them in the wardobe..with no assistance whatsoever...
Im Sure PF will do just fine......

CJK
11-03-2006, 10:25 PM
well, cats will be cats. Hopes he doesnt pick MY wardrobe though, it's a cloth one!!!!! and it's white too!!!

Snoof
11-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Sounds perfect to me, actually :lol: Why make a little mess if you can make a lot?!

CJK
12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
well knowing my luck she'll go somewhere i cant get to. She likes going under my bed, there's a gap in the far corner. if she picks there i gotta move one of them old fashioned sotrage trunks to get to her lol

CJK
12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm getting there.

Had a good sort out today of cupboards and things.
Now have

> 8 old towels
> 7 rough flannels (or bits of cut up old towel)
> 2 small baby fleece blankets
>2 large blankets that can be cut up (one into halves one into quaters)

(makes up to 8 fleece blankets which should do cos got tumble dryer)

got note pad and pen sorte
got cat mik and one syringue, so need more.

feeling better kwnoing i got most of the stuff now

dinahsmum
12-03-2006, 12:45 PM
It all sounds scary to me - glad I've never been midwife to a cat!

CJK
12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
i'm getting very anxious already

Kay
12-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Don't forget the weighing scales!!!

Sounds like it is all coming together nicely. It is to hope she doesn't go off and have them herself because on the whole Persians are not the most natural at giving birth. You will need to stay around her from a few days before so make sure that you have plenty in for you and the kids as well.

CJK
12-03-2006, 12:55 PM
i only ever go out to do the school run or shopping anyway, but will make sure we stock up.
going to pop to argis tuesday and get some scales if they got any. Hubby took ours with him when he moved out, god knows why, he dont cook, he also took the food mixer n blender that has an integrated grater, he brought for me cos i cant use a normal grater with my RSI and arthritis ( nice of him tot ake it want it). actually, he took everything him or his family had brought us for wedding presnets, hosuew arming etc.
left me with not even a tv. BUT i refused to elt him take the cooker and tumble dryer!! ( his mother borught them and wanted them abck, so i said fine if you want your grnadkids to starve)

anyway...getting back to the subject, think it wise for me to shut PF in my bedroom withme at night around her due date??

Kay
12-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I would CJ. Mine come up with me about 10 days before due date to get them used to it.

Booktigger
12-03-2006, 12:59 PM
From what I have read CJ, breeders put their queens in the kittening cage from 2 weeks before the birth, I would guess that would be safer than your bedroom, esp if she can get under the bed.

Kay
12-03-2006, 01:05 PM
From what I have read CJ, breeders put their queens in the kittening cage from 2 weeks before the birth, I would guess that would be safer than your bedroom, esp if she can get under the bed.

I do not confine mine to the kittening pen for that length of time prior to the date and I no of no breeders that do. That could seriously stress the cat out. The kittening pen is in my bedroom and I would advise CJ to put hers there as it is usually the calmest room of the house and keep the other cats out. My cats tend to go in and out of the kittening pen on their own and accept it willing rather than be forced into it. If they are forced into it you run the risk of the mum trying to move the kittens at every opportunity. The only time mine are shut in is if they are not feeding their babies enough or at night.

CJK
12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
yeah I dont want to force her into it. SHe sleeps in my bedroom everynight anyway now, usually on my bed with me lol. and as it the second largest room in the whole house i figured she have room there for the kittens too.
I just thought it would be bset to leave her to find her own place to give birth, within reason, rather than force her to ahve them somewhere she may not be comfy in

Kay
12-03-2006, 01:17 PM
As long as you have the box there with a nice fleece in she will more than likely opt for that. Persians are such friendly almost dog like cats that they tend to want you there and do not go and hide in a dark cupboard. Unlike moggies who prefer to get on with it in peace. Persians seem to want your reassurance.

CJK
12-03-2006, 01:20 PM
well I know I wont be sleeping much around her due date anyway. I would prefer she doesnt decide to give birth on the middle of my bed, but IF she does then so be it lol.
I going to put a drape over her cage like i said, and put her fav beeding in there, maybe even cut up an old duvet to make her extra comfy, put her litter tray and water in there and I am sure once she realises the doors dont get locked she'll go in and out of it jsut fine

Kay
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
That's great CJ. I put a drape over mine it keeps any drafts out and also keeps it darker for when they start opening their eyes. Mine usual have the door open until the kittens start to wander then it is safer to shut it but by then mum will just go and feed and wash them and then go for a bit of peace and quiet. I wouldn't use the duvet when the kittens arrive they could get smothered in it. Mine have had theirs on the bed before now and been more than at home.

CJK
12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
oh no, i wont use the duvet for the kittens then!!!!

going to try and make her a few hidey holes in my room to pick from, at least give her a bit of a choice in the matter.

thatd be right, mum will go off for some peace and leave me with the kittens lol

Kay
12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
What you need then is my son's Pepsi. He is a Jack Russell and guards the kittens with his life. It is so funny watching him try to keep them all in one place.

CJK
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
awww bless him, I bet he's cute gurading them

Mags
12-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm so pleased you are getting all this advice from experienced breeders CJ, I'm sure it is a great help to you:-P

CJK
12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
you can say that again.
Dont know where i'd be without kay!!
(other than in a memtal institute by now me thinks!!!!!)

very gratefull for everybodys help and suggestions of course.

( and am off to wales later in the year to catknap someof Kay's colourpoint kittens!!!!)

Kay
12-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Pepsi is really cute but he gets so worried about them. He is like a mother hen.;) ;)
I better watch out in June hadn't I, CJ. :shock: :shock:
You know you can ring or PM me anytime and I will try and help.:? :?

CJK
12-03-2006, 03:20 PM
well you never know we may HAVE to go to wales for a holiday a few months later too lol Taking a long a nice big pet cage in the boot of course, equiped with cat ebds blankets etc!!

I ahve definatly fallen in love with those colour points!!! soooo gorgeous

Kay
12-03-2006, 03:59 PM
My kittens have gone all over the country. Last year I took 4 down to Bristol. 2 to my friend who lives in Bristol and the other 2 went to a lovely couple who lived in Kent. They came and picked them up from my friends.

CJK
12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
OH NOW SHE TELLS ME

Kay, you're REALLY teasing me now arent you, you're just TRYING to be suttle about talking me into getting one arent you???

I dont need much persuasion I can tell you!

bobbie3917
12-03-2006, 04:39 PM
hi Cj
just thought i would let you know what i done with Scarlott it was also her first litter (not mine though seen kittens and lots of pups born) it didn't go right to plan as i had ppl in and out for the last 2 weeks of her preg cos things need doing to the house before it can be sold.

well i places a nice large box (i bought a heated whelping box but it get to warm for Scarlott in there) with blankets and heat pad in, in my room. with a litter try at the other end of my room. when out i would lock her in the room but when at home she had the run of the house. the day she was due nothing seamed to be happening and i was getting ready for bed. i was on Cp just saying nothing is happening today see u all in the morning when she jumped on my lap and cried and leg was wet so i know things had started.
i took her to my room but there was no way she was going in her box so i let her do what she wanted i just laid back and kept an eye on her. as labour progressed she was getting a little worried and kept going to the litter (it was clean) and i know that she was going to have the first 1 there so i just kept a close eye on her. at about 3.30am she had her first litter in the litter tray. the kitten was out but still attached to her so i picked them both up and placed her in her box. there was no sign of the after birth so i cute the cord with my nails (its very easy to do) and dried the kitten off Scarlott then washed him loads. the after birth soon followed and she was not impressed with it at all so that went straight in the bin. then every 45 mins a kitten was born but i had to do the cord myself on them all as she didn't even try and all after births went in the bin.

as soon as she has finished she cleaned her babies and went to sleep. we have had the odd worring times since when i go to check on them all and no 1 is in the box so she in now locked in there when no 1 is at home and at night but though the day its open but my room door is closed.

the other day i went to check on them all fine i came down to feed her and by the time i took her blow back up they had all gone it took me 2 hours to find them all as i had let my room door open, she had moved them all to my sons room and hidden them down the side of his bed she was eating her dinner while Minx was baby sitting them all lol

CJK
12-03-2006, 04:44 PM
aww bless!

thanks for sharing that with me,it all helps to hear about others experiences. Well only the good oens at this point or i'll be freaking out lol

Sweet
12-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Lovely to read x

Kay
12-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a very normal delivery to me Natalie. Well done Scarlett. Leila was the best last year. She never made a sound I just noticed a little discharge so thought I would take her up to my room ready. I just went to get a drink before going upstairs and in the 3 mins it must have taken me I came back into the front room to find Leila plus kitten no.1 being washed with the cord cut and Toby my kitten I lost in with them. She then proceded to have the other 3 in quick succession only taking 1 and a half hours to deliver all 4. She then was taken upstairs and put in the kittening pen that had been so carefully prepared for the birth. She settled down and was the best mother ever even fostering another kitten.

CJK
12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
so if she DOES go into the cat pen it's a bonus and pure luck lol

Mags
12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Aww that was nice Kay.....I like hearing kittening stories....

Kay
12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
so if she DOES go into the cat pen it's a bonus and pure luck lol

No it just happened this way because delivery was so quick.

Thanks Mags so do I.

CJK
13-03-2006, 09:35 AM
typical, forgot that heat pad you showed me was ending on ebay and got outbid. But there a proper pet one you plug in, bid from 14.99 or but it now 19.99 with 4.99 postage. Might go for that instead.

off to sort out some scales today and then apart fromt he ehat pad and a few more sryingues i'm all done!

erm....quick question, what scales are better mechanical or electrical?

Fran
13-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I have electronic scales for my puppies CJ. I use digital kitchen ones for the newborns and have some electronic baby scales for when they get too wriggly for the kitchen one. I would think kitchen ones would be adequate for kittens though..

Kay
13-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Fran is quite right I have digital kitchen scale, battery run. Just make sure they have a large bowl.

CJK
13-03-2006, 11:50 AM
ok, wasnt sure what was best, but can go get something fromargos later today then.
thanks!

bobbie3917
13-03-2006, 04:02 PM
go to your local pet shop for a heat pab much cheeper there and no P&P

CJK
13-03-2006, 04:05 PM
no therye not cheapr, theyre 21.99 in my local shop. i already looked.

and they only ahve microwave ones and i wuld prefer a plug in one with adjustable temp.

bobbie3917
13-03-2006, 04:46 PM
the 1 i got is a plug in 1 its not adjustable temp but it dont get that warm to have to turn it down if the box is left open you cant feel any heat only when it is half coverd with a blanket (which Scarlott likes) it cost me £13 i think

Kay
13-03-2006, 06:37 PM
The ones I PM'd you about on e-bay all start around 2.50 and have adjustable temp. I didn't get mine from Argos like I said, I got them from Lidl ages ago and they only cost me £7.99. If they get them in again I will have to get a couple more. They are great.