Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
11-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

Shopping List For CJ

I know you have been madly reading up on what to get but there are some things you may not have got.

1) Long finger nails- you may need to sever the cordyourself and long finger nails are far better than anything else, hands washed in anti-bacterial wash of course. So start growing them.
2) Heatpad - which I know you have been looking into. I found the heatpad from Argos to be perfect. Just the right size and three heat settings.
3) Face cloths - Not nice soft fluffy ones but cheap rough ones and plenty of them. They need to be rough in case you need to stimulate a baby.
4) Blankets/Fleeces - A good stock of these is needed as they will need to be changed regularly. Not the cellular blankets as the kittens get caught in them. I buy my fleeces from the cat shows and cut them up much cheaper that way.
5) Lactol - Very important to have a tin of Lactol or equivalent in case you need to hand feed or top up any babies.
6) Oral Syringes - I get 1ml oral syringes from my vet as babies need only the tiniest amount and very slowly. If your vet doesn't have any let me know.
7) Weighing Scales - Persian kittens are notoriously poor feeders and therefore need to be weighed everyday to check they are gaining weight regularly. Get a digital set that go up in individual grams so you can keep an exact eye on their weight.
Notepad and Pen - to record the above, of course.

These are all essentials but I also have:-

9) Babies Bottles - To mix the feeds up in.
10) Babies Sterilizer - for sterilizing anything for the kittens like the bottles and syringes.
11) Babies Bottle Warmer - To warm the feed up.

Of course these 3 are not essential but I find them really handy.
Hope this helps.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: Shopping List For CJ

Oh, how useful! I sew (soft toys and such, as a general rule) and I buy fleece at 5.99/metre. If you need me to pick some up (fleece doesn't fray so it's really easy to just cut up to size), tell me what colour and I'll post it along with the litter drops.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #3

Kay, do you use Dopram V drops to stimulate non breathing new borns?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
11-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

I read that you shouldn't use heat pads with kittens as they can overheat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #5

GROW MY FINGER NAILS??????

you're hoping arent you??????

The only time I manage to grow my finger nails is when I'm pregnant, for some reason they grow super fast then, so does my hair.

Much As i love princess and SAY i would do ANYTHING for my cats, i'm not getting pregnant to grow my nails lmao

blimey, well i have that cat replacement milk from when i hand reared the baby bunnies, but it's been opend so i need to check if it keeps or not and if i can use it for the kittens now it's bene opened.

I ahve ONE 1ml syringue, but I know bothmy vets AND boots stock them.

I ahve heard of face cloths being used, havent got around to getting any yet ( so there goes your silly notions that I'm well organised!*!*!*!*)

also read i need scissors and thread???

i got a sterliser and bottle warmer in the loft, if i can find the blinking things.

fleece blankets, i not sure WHERE i can get them from, is that literally to put in thier beds? or doi wrap them up or soemthing? cos i got two baby fleeces the cats have now elliots grown out of them. is two enough?

also read for the birth to get kitche roll to line the birthing box, gloves (for me of course lol)...

so much to thinka bout!!!

but I am making a list of the things i need to buy, so thanks Kay, at elast i know where to start

Catsey Veteran

11-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #6

Fran I don't use the drops. I have a special tube a friend got me from America to suck any fluid off the kittens chest it is also used for sloly and gently breathing a little air into the lungs. Booktigger, kittens chill very quickly, especially Persians, when their mum leaves the pen to feed etc, mine are always kept on a heatpad at the lowest setting and I have never had any problems with babies overheating or chilling. All the breeders I know use them and I have never know anybody have a problem

Catsey Veteran

11-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #7

oh kay, i cant find that heat pad in arogs, the one i was going to get doesnt have heat settings so not sure i should get it.

Catsey Veteran

11-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #8

I have never needed thread and don't like using scissors to cut cords as it gives a too clean a cut. It needs to be severed that's why finger nails are best. If you can't grow them then sterilized scissors will have to do but rather then cutting straight do it jagged if that makes sense. The baby fleeces will be ideal as long as there are no fancy holes in them but two is no where near enough. Go along to a material shop and buy some fleece and cut it up into squares that will cover the bottom of the kittening box. They are for the kittens to lie on not to be wrapped up in. I wouldn't bother with gloves the smell of them could upset the mother just scrub your hands with a good anti-bacterial wash. You can get some from your vet. Lining the box with kitchen roll could get a bit messy, I use cheap towels that can either be washed or if they are that bad thrown away. You will need plenty of them as well. Don't forget to weigh them every day this is really, really important. Tiny kittens who are not gaining weight can go down hill really quickly.

Catsey Veteran

11-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #9

the baby fleeces are jsut small soft fleece blankets. OK,will get some more, and some old towels or cheap towels in that case.
Think 10 towels and 10 flannels enough? ( i'm guessing here) or more?

Will pop tomy local material shop see what she got.

OOOOOOOh it's so exciting, but soooo long to wait!

Catsey Veteran

11-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
oh kay, i cant find that heat pad in arogs, the one i was going to get doesnt have heat settings so not sure i should get it.
Just found this one on e-bay it is at £7.00 and has just over a day to go with no bids on it. It is very similar to the ones I use. Just use it on the first setting. Heres the link, hopefully

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-HEAT-PAD_W0QQitemZ5675366798QQcategoryZ1277QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem