PDA

View Full Version : Now I have a *really* weird allergy question...

Snoof
13-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I have another friend, who lives in Lancaster and is allergic to cats. However, both he and his (non-allergic) girlfriend really love cats, and I've just told them that Siberians are touted as hypo-allergenic cats. He's looked into prices and stuff, and the only breeders we seem to be able to find are down South. Does anyone know of any (preferably reputable!) breeders near Lancaster? He does have a car, so it won't be that much hassle if it's a bit of a drive.

My second question is, does anyone here live in Lancashire and own one or multiple Siberians (and preferably no other cats) so he can visit and play with them and see if he has an allergic reaction? Apparently a certain type of allergy still gets a reaction with Siberians, and it would be awful if he got a kitten and it then turned out he's one of those people and had to give it back to the breeder.

Sorry, it's a bit of a troublesome question, I know - particularly as it's a bit odd to ask someone to take a visit from a stranger known by a stranger on the internet. But he's really happy I've found something that may allow him to have a cat, and I'd be very sad if it didn't work out well for him and for the potential kitten.

I think, however, if we find a breeder that's a bit more conveniently located, we can explain the situation to them and have him go for a visit with them to see about his allergies.

This friend is allergic to just about everything, stopping just short of himself, and lives vicariously through other people who do have pets. I have no doubt that he'd give any cat a fantastic, loving forever home (and his girlfriend - they're both lovely and good friends of mine), but he needs to explore the options first so he doesn't end up wheezing his way to having to return a kitten to the breeder.

Thanks a lot!

Fran
13-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't know anything about Siberians :?

Apparantly though, Cornish Rex are good for people who are allergic to cats as they do not shed their coats. The breeder where I am getting my Siamese from breeds Cornish Rex. They are quite rare be all accounts, only about 80 odd in this country registered with the GCCF..

Snoof
13-01-2006, 04:14 PM
He's allergic to the dander, though, not the fur itself. The saliva of Siberian cats lacks the protein that causes dander to form, which means they don't usually set off allergies.

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Don't know anything about Siberians - sorry :(
My BIL is very allergic but is fine in their house with 2 rex's. Actually, OK is probably a better description than fine, but my sis says if there's any rehoming to be done she'll help BIL pack! ;)
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_22.gif

Naomi
13-01-2006, 04:39 PM
:lol: DM your sis sounds as tho she has the same sense of humour as you.

I don;t know anything about Siberians either.

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Found this breed info: -

"The Siberian cat is a heavy bodied cat, whose overall appearance should be a rounded one. Semi-longhaired with a firm thick water repellent coat, and dense undercoat, which requires minimal grooming. Their fur is said to be non-allergenic, making them suitable to people who exhibit allergies to other cats. They have big, rounded paws, a look of strength, excellent condition and alertness.

Type and temperament are the most important factors. Their nature is fun loving, extremely intelligent, and inquisitive. They have a dog like devotion to their human owners, and are very devoted and loyal. They are very agile, and love high places. They talk to you in a soft chirruping manner. They take 5 years to reach full maturity.

Many different organisations both abroad and in England accept the Siberian Cat. In the United Kingdom a strict no-outcross policy will be adhered to as the Siberian is a natural breed and needs no intervention.

Some people who have allergic reactions to most cats, do not have a reaction to Siberian cats. This is due to an allergen called Fel D1. It is claimed that the Siberian cat does not have this allergen. It is suggested that whilst this may be true, it is important to spend time in the company of a Siberian cat before purchasing a kitten, as at the moment this claim is not a proven fact. "

My itallics

Fran
13-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Sounds a lovely cat DM...any piccies?

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Hang on and I'll get my photobucket out - sort of maine coon idea!

Het
13-01-2006, 04:50 PM
wasn't familiar with this breed so just googled them and they are gorgeous!!

Snoof there was a breeder listed in Darlington....which isn't too far from Lancaster

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 04:51 PM
There you go - isn't he a smasher!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/siberian.jpg

Fran
13-01-2006, 04:52 PM
There you go - isn't he a smasher!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/siberian.jpg

OMG!!! they are gorgeous!!! how did I not know about these before :shock:

yola
13-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh - what a super-handsome boy!!! I wish you and your friend every luck in helping track down Siberian breeder :-D

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 04:54 PM
CatPages
" the educational website"

CJK
13-01-2006, 05:16 PM
is that your cat dinahsmum? he's lovely!

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Ohh no - just found him on a website. Comes up first on the list if you google.
Agree - he is lovely

CJK
13-01-2006, 05:24 PM
oh :-( thoguht there was another one i could catnap!

Naomi
13-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Gorgeous looking cat.

CathyW
13-01-2006, 06:56 PM
some times being with a cat de-sensitives the person,that make sense??

Snoof
13-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys :) And Het, thanks for the link!

I don't think waiting to see if he gets de-sensitised is an option as his reaction is quite severe. He can stay in a two-cat home for about two hours before he has to leave.

It's quite sad really as he really does love cats.

My friend has a Siberian cross called Calder (I don't have any pictures of him but I do have a few movies of him hosted here (http://www.snoof.co.uk/calder/)). Unfortunately Calder lives in Las Vegas, so stealing him is not an option, but I do know they are lovely, good-tempered, intelligent cats.

I'll rootle through the internet for more information and hopefully have a success story and pictures for you guys in a while... Will take a while, especially as he'll have to wait for a kitten if he is indeed not allergic to them, but I'll definitely update you guys when I know what's going on!

Thanks for the help again, you're a truly lovely, helpful bunch!