Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
13-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #1

Now I have a *really* weird allergy question...

I have another friend, who lives in Lancaster and is allergic to cats. However, both he and his (non-allergic) girlfriend really love cats, and I've just told them that Siberians are touted as hypo-allergenic cats. He's looked into prices and stuff, and the only breeders we seem to be able to find are down South. Does anyone know of any (preferably reputable!) breeders near Lancaster? He does have a car, so it won't be that much hassle if it's a bit of a drive.

My second question is, does anyone here live in Lancashire and own one or multiple Siberians (and preferably no other cats) so he can visit and play with them and see if he has an allergic reaction? Apparently a certain type of allergy still gets a reaction with Siberians, and it would be awful if he got a kitten and it then turned out he's one of those people and had to give it back to the breeder.

Sorry, it's a bit of a troublesome question, I know - particularly as it's a bit odd to ask someone to take a visit from a stranger known by a stranger on the internet. But he's really happy I've found something that may allow him to have a cat, and I'd be very sad if it didn't work out well for him and for the potential kitten.

I think, however, if we find a breeder that's a bit more conveniently located, we can explain the situation to them and have him go for a visit with them to see about his allergies.

This friend is allergic to just about everything, stopping just short of himself, and lives vicariously through other people who do have pets. I have no doubt that he'd give any cat a fantastic, loving forever home (and his girlfriend - they're both lovely and good friends of mine), but he needs to explore the options first so he doesn't end up wheezing his way to having to return a kitten to the breeder.

Thanks a lot!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #2

Re: Now I have a *really* weird allergy question...

I don't know anything about Siberians

Apparantly though, Cornish Rex are good for people who are allergic to cats as they do not shed their coats. The breeder where I am getting my Siamese from breeds Cornish Rex. They are quite rare be all accounts, only about 80 odd in this country registered with the GCCF..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
13-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #3

He's allergic to the dander, though, not the fur itself. The saliva of Siberian cats lacks the protein that causes dander to form, which means they don't usually set off allergies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #4

Don't know anything about Siberians - sorry
My BIL is very allergic but is fine in their house with 2 rex's. Actually, OK is probably a better description than fine, but my sis says if there's any rehoming to be done she'll help BIL pack!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
13-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #5

DM your sis sounds as tho she has the same sense of humour as you.

I don;t know anything about Siberians either.

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #6

Found this breed info: -

"The Siberian cat is a heavy bodied cat, whose overall appearance should be a rounded one. Semi-longhaired with a firm thick water repellent coat, and dense undercoat, which requires minimal grooming. Their fur is said to be non-allergenic, making them suitable to people who exhibit allergies to other cats. They have big, rounded paws, a look of strength, excellent condition and alertness.

Type and temperament are the most important factors. Their nature is fun loving, extremely intelligent, and inquisitive. They have a dog like devotion to their human owners, and are very devoted and loyal. They are very agile, and love high places. They talk to you in a soft chirruping manner. They take 5 years to reach full maturity.

Many different organisations both abroad and in England accept the Siberian Cat. In the United Kingdom a strict no-outcross policy will be adhered to as the Siberian is a natural breed and needs no intervention.

Some people who have allergic reactions to most cats, do not have a reaction to Siberian cats. This is due to an allergen called Fel D1. It is claimed that the Siberian cat does not have this allergen. It is suggested that whilst this may be true, it is important to spend time in the company of a Siberian cat before purchasing a kitten, as at the moment this claim is not a proven fact. "

My itallics

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #7

Sounds a lovely cat DM...any piccies?

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #8

Hang on and I'll get my photobucket out - sort of maine coon idea!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
13-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #9

wasn't familiar with this breed so just googled them and they are gorgeous!!

Snoof there was a breeder listed in Darlington....which isn't too far from Lancaster

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #10

There you go - isn't he a smasher!