PDA

View Full Version : Are there any...

Donna
28-12-2005, 10:17 AM
foods that cats cannot eat?

I ask because Misty is a cathoover and eats anything in sight. She sits staring at me when I am in the kitchen with sad eyes waiting for little nibbles etc. She scavanges off of plates and tables..

Anyway, I have woken up to cat sick :shock: :( on the kitchen floor this morning. She had some cheese last night (she loves it so much) but is it bad for cats? She has been sick before after eating cheese, but that was when my daughter Emma fed her nearly the whole block of cheese!!:?

I now know thanks to Catpages that you cannot give them meat off the bone if it is cooked as the bones are brittle, but WHAT ELSE CAN THEY NOT EAT?

dinahsmum
28-12-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm not an expert but (other than thigs which aren't food - some plants etc) I think cats can eat anything. Suppose they are like us and some of them are intolerant of some foods. A lot of orientals are lactose intolerant (so have to have the special cat milk or no milk at all) so maybe that's the thing with cheese.

On a slightly different tack, there are things in the house which are dangerous - I can think of lilies (?esp the stamens?) and disinfectants. Apparently any disinfectant which turns water cloudy is very poisonous......

Hope your babe is better today

Donna
28-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm not an expert but (other than thigs which aren't food - some plants etc) I think cats can eat anything. Suppose they are like us and some of them are intolerant of some foods. A lot of orientals are lactose intolerant (so have to have the special cat milk or no milk at all) so maybe that's the thing with cheese.

On a slightly different tack, there are things in the house which are dangerous - I can think of lilies (?esp the stamens?) and disinfectants. Apparently any disinfectant which turns water cloudy is very poisonous......

Hope your babe is better today

I suppose the cheese is the dairy element. She ok with a tiny bit, but she keeps on grabbing for more! Will keep an eye on that!

I dont have any plants in the house so thats not a problem and I actually knew about the disinfectant one (hoorah!!). Thanks for the advice DM.

SHE IS JUST A PIGGY AND EATS TOO MUCH!! :oops:

Jac
28-12-2005, 11:03 AM
My two love cheese as well. Infact C-Fur is a propper garbage desposal! Hope you find out what it is that made her sick. Could it just have been a bit fur? The hairs that get caught while they are cleaning them selfs have to come out one end:oops:

Donna
28-12-2005, 11:06 AM
My too love cheese as well. Infact C-Fur is a propper garbage desposal! Hope you find out what it is that made her sick. Could it just have been a bit fur? The hairs that get caught while they are cleaning them selfs have to come out one end:oops:

Could of been Jac. But she is back to her usual mad self this morning so I am not too worried. Will just eat all the cheese myself!!:shock:

EmmaG
28-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I know cats shouldn't eat Garlic, Onions or chocolate. I would have thought cheese would be fine.

CathyW
28-12-2005, 11:47 AM
ive got 3 hairy hoovers 4 if u include the dog :D barnaby loves kebabs with chilli sauce :shock: the hotter the better for him (strange animal) and reggie has to have a treat plate in the kitchen where what ever im cooking he has to have a spoonfull,or else he wont leave me alone :D

Donna
28-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Misty just been sick two more times :cry:

Fran
28-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Cheese is fine as a rule. Infact my vet suggested putting cheese on Lucky's food to try and encourage her to eat. I suppose that cats are like humans and not all foods agree with them all :?

Emma is right, onions and chocolate should not be fed to cats. As far as I know garlic in small doses is fine.

Fran
28-12-2005, 01:12 PM

:( :( :( How is she in herself Donna?

LMC
28-12-2005, 01:16 PM

If she's an adult, starve her for 24 hours - but plenty of fresh water, obviously. If she's still being sick after that, then vet ASAP.

My cats are all really fussy eaters - I had duck for Christmas dinner, which was the most desirable thing EVER - until they all had a tiny bit as a treat put in their bowls. Whereupon it wasn't good enough for them, obviously.
Snowy likes cooked green veg and Jenny likes tomato sauce (she's really into bolognese!) and cheese. And Molly won't eat fish!

But I don't give in to fusspottiness - they get Hills if I have time to go to the pet shop, Purina if not - and if they don't eat it, it gets thrown away. And none of them are exactly skinny :lol:

EDIT: as Fran asked, is she all right in herself? - if she's washing herself and being reasonably sociable then she probably just needs 'starving'. If she's miserable, then forget what I said, vet NOW! Hope she will be all right.

Donna
28-12-2005, 07:12 PM
:( :( :( How is she in herself Donna?

Misty seems ok in herself. Been out in the snow today (will post piccies later). Thought she could do with some fresh air. I took away the food I put down this morning and just left biscuits and water down. She didnt eat anything. But she has been very sociable. Jumping up to kiss my nose as she always does. Playing okay too.

I have noticed something rather strange tho ----

she keeps on chewing on plastic bags - bin liners, food bags, toy wrappers, ANYTHING THAT IS PLASTIC. Dont know if she has bitten some off and swallowed a piece. She has been on the litter tray and that seems normal.

WHY IS SHE CHEWING ON PLASTIC ALL THE TIME?????????

Help anyone??:?

Fran
28-12-2005, 07:19 PM
How strange :smt017 I have never heard anything like it :? Maybe someone else may have an idea Donna?

Mags
28-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Donna...I found this.......

Q: Why does my cat insist on licking or even chewing plastic bags from the grocery store?
A: Most plastic nowdays is made with corn starch to make it biodegradeable, and surprisingly, many cats have a taste for corn. Under no circumstances should you let her eat the plastic. It can become impacted in the intestines and cause a potentially fatal blokage.

Maybe it would be a good idea to keep all plastic out of her reach:?

Donna
28-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Donna...I found this.......

Q: Why does my cat insist on licking or even chewing plastic bags from the grocery store?
A: Most plastic nowdays is made with corn starch to make it biodegradeable, and surprisingly, many cats have a taste for corn. Under no circumstances should you let her eat the plastic. It can become impacted in the intestines and cause a potentially fatal blokage.

Maybe it would be a good idea to keep all plastic out of her reach:?

Thanks so much Mags. That does explain things. She hunts out all sorts of plastics. Hardest to hide is the bin as there is always a bit of liner hanging down from the lid. But will make the house a more Misty friendly house!!

Fran
28-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Has she stopped being sick now Donna? Attempted to eat anything yet?

Donna
28-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Has she stopped being sick now Donna? Attempted to eat anything yet?

She has eaten half a pouch of felix chicken in jelly. dont want to give her too much in one go. but she is very intersted in my dinner (not giving her any tho just in case).

She is a big girl (well compared to chloe same age/half size) so am sure a bit of sickness wont affect her too much. Just hope she keeps down what she has just had. If she does then maybe she can have a bit more later.

Mags
28-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Donna, Cassie was sick for 3 days on the trot but was fine in herself. We couldn't put it down to anything but we fed her on boiled chicken and steamed fish for 4 days. She ate that with no trouble but she wouldn't touch cat food until the sickness stopped.

Donna
28-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Donna, Cassie was sick for 3 days on the trot but was fine in herself. We couldn't put it down to anything but we fed her on boiled chicken and steamed fish for 4 days. She ate that with no trouble but she wouldn't touch cat food until the sickness stopped.

Thanks for that Mags. I did buy some blocks of frozen cod (as recommended by your good self on here a while back) just in case there was a sickly kitty. Might give her a small amount later tonight.

samwise
28-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I didnt know that about the corn starch in plastic bags! Frankie used to chew on them all the time! I have to hide them now!

Hope Misty feels better soon!

Fran
28-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Really hope she keeps the food down Donna..as Mags says boiled fish is good. Have never got my kitties to eat rice although it is recommended for dodgy tummies :roll:

Kay
29-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Could be the diary element as cats should not be given milk as their stomachs do not digest it properly, only cat milk should be given. As for the plastic bags, we call Tilly the bag lady as she also hunts them out and licks them. It has never done her any harm but can be very annoying when she turfs the shopping out so she can get in it. As others have said just feed her boiled chicken and steamed fish little but often. Do this for two to three days after she has stopped being sick and then gradually re-introduce her normal food and lessen the frequency until she is back to normal. If it persists or she shows any other symptoms take her for a check-up at the vets. Hope she is feeling well soon. They really wory you don't they.

Kay

Donna
29-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Well, Misty has not been sick anymore. She did have some steamed cod last night which she gulped down. She has not had any more plastic bags because I have hidden them all.

Think it was just a case of christmas overindulgence (like us all!!) :lol: although she sat on my lap most of last night which is very unlike her!!!!

Fran
29-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Oooh I am so pleased that there has been no more sickness Donna. Hope she continues to improve. I would go steady on her tum today too and perhaps continue to give her the steamed fish

dinahsmum
29-12-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm glad she's better. Think I'd keep to the plain food for a bit longer too.

Mags
29-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm pleased to hear Misty is feeling better Donna, it might be a good idea to keep her on the bland food for a day or two longer.
Also glad to hear the plastic bags are out of her reach!:-P ;)

Kay
29-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Great news about Misty, Donna. Keep up with the steamed fish for a few more days gradually introducing the original food. As for sitting on your lap more, take advantage she will be back to normal soon.