Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #1

Are there any...

foods that cats cannot eat?

I ask because Misty is a cathoover and eats anything in sight. She sits staring at me when I am in the kitchen with sad eyes waiting for little nibbles etc. She scavanges off of plates and tables..

Anyway, I have woken up to cat sick on the kitchen floor this morning. She had some cheese last night (she loves it so much) but is it bad for cats? She has been sick before after eating cheese, but that was when my daughter Emma fed her nearly the whole block of cheese!!

I now know thanks to Catpages that you cannot give them meat off the bone if it is cooked as the bones are brittle, but WHAT ELSE CAN THEY NOT EAT?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #2

Re: Are there any...

I'm not an expert but (other than thigs which aren't food - some plants etc) I think cats can eat anything. Suppose they are like us and some of them are intolerant of some foods. A lot of orientals are lactose intolerant (so have to have the special cat milk or no milk at all) so maybe that's the thing with cheese.

On a slightly different tack, there are things in the house which are dangerous - I can think of lilies (?esp the stamens?) and disinfectants. Apparently any disinfectant which turns water cloudy is very poisonous......

Hope your babe is better today

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I'm not an expert but (other than thigs which aren't food - some plants etc) I think cats can eat anything. Suppose they are like us and some of them are intolerant of some foods. A lot of orientals are lactose intolerant (so have to have the special cat milk or no milk at all) so maybe that's the thing with cheese.

On a slightly different tack, there are things in the house which are dangerous - I can think of lilies (?esp the stamens?) and disinfectants. Apparently any disinfectant which turns water cloudy is very poisonous......

Hope your babe is better today
I suppose the cheese is the dairy element. She ok with a tiny bit, but she keeps on grabbing for more! Will keep an eye on that!

I dont have any plants in the house so thats not a problem and I actually knew about the disinfectant one (hoorah!!). Thanks for the advice DM.

SHE IS JUST A PIGGY AND EATS TOO MUCH!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #4

My two love cheese as well. Infact C-Fur is a propper garbage desposal! Hope you find out what it is that made her sick. Could it just have been a bit fur? The hairs that get caught while they are cleaning them selfs have to come out one end

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
My too love cheese as well. Infact C-Fur is a propper garbage desposal! Hope you find out what it is that made her sick. Could it just have been a bit fur? The hairs that get caught while they are cleaning them selfs have to come out one end
Could of been Jac. But she is back to her usual mad self this morning so I am not too worried. Will just eat all the cheese myself!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
28-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #6

I know cats shouldn't eat Garlic, Onions or chocolate. I would have thought cheese would be fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
28-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #7

ive got 3 hairy hoovers 4 if u include the dog barnaby loves kebabs with chilli sauce the hotter the better for him (strange animal) and reggie has to have a treat plate in the kitchen where what ever im cooking he has to have a spoonfull,or else he wont leave me alone

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #8

Misty just been sick two more times

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #9

Cheese is fine as a rule. Infact my vet suggested putting cheese on Lucky's food to try and encourage her to eat. I suppose that cats are like humans and not all foods agree with them all

Emma is right, onions and chocolate should not be fed to cats. As far as I know garlic in small doses is fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Misty just been sick two more times

How is she in herself Donna?