PDA

View Full Version : Lucky isn't eating...

Fran
11-12-2005, 09:57 PM
For the last few days, Lucky won't eat. She seems hungry and is talking to me all the time to feed her but no matter what I offer her she just won't eat. She ate a little cooked turkey earlier, but not enough to feed a sparrow :roll: Any ideas for something tasty to tempt her with. She doesn't do tuna or any fish come to that :(
Hubby has noticed she has lost weight and she really has no weight on her as it is without losing any :cry:

Mags
11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
When Cassie won't eat I usually steam her some cod or coley....she won't touch the fishy cat food in tins but she loves steamed fish. You could also try Lucky with some boiled or steamed chicken breast, I find that works as well. I hope she gets her appetite back soon Fran....

I usually keep the packets of 4 fish blocks in the freezer so that I've always got some to hand when she is off her food.

Moli
11-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Has she got a favourite food PK? Usually strong smelling food will tempt a cat....

Fran
11-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I'll have to try the steamed fish Mags. Recently, she has been very fond of the gourmet type cat meals but at the minute she doesn't even seem bothered about these :? She has just had a slice of hubby's ham off the bone which was for his sandwiches tomorrow :shock: and she ate the whole slice..so at least she has had something :?

borderdawn
11-12-2005, 10:51 PM
How old is she Fran? any other symptoms?
Dawn.

CathyW
11-12-2005, 10:53 PM
if she,s still like it 2morrow get her to the vets for a check up.is she drinking??

Fran
11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
How old is she Fran? any other symptoms?
Dawn.

She is 18 Dawn..Recently she had the episodes of falling over. All her blood tests were normal and the vet has put these incidents down to old age/loss of muscle tone/slight arthritis?? Infact the vet couldn't believe how good she was for her age :? But things are really going down hill with her..she is very unsettled a lot of the time and now is not eating. She had some steroid tablets to help with the falling over and has now finished these but she can have a repeat script and keep on them for the rest of her life but tbh the falling over isn't very bad at the minute...

Fran
11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
if she,s still like it 2morrow get her to the vets for a check up.is she drinking??

Yes she is drinking as per ususal. Probably will get her checked over tomorrow BM

CathyW
11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Yes she is drinking as per ususal. Probably will get her checked over tomorrow BMid do it just for peace of mind.

EmmaG
11-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Also something to consider is that I believe the steriod tablets might have increased her hunger therefore as she is now no longer on them perhaps her appetite has just gone into a bit of a low.

I would get her back to the vets.

Fran
11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Also something to consider is that I believe the steriod tablets might have increased her hunger therefore as she is now no longer on them perhaps her appetite has just gone into a bit of a low.

I would get her back to the vets.

Yeah the steroids did increase her apetite but she has been off them a little while now. The not eating episode has been just over the last couple of days or so. Think I will just get her checked over tomorrow....

EmmaG
11-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I hope she picks up soon Fran,

Kazz
11-12-2005, 11:18 PM
You tight woman get out there and buy her ham off the bone.;)

Karen

borderdawn
11-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Yep good idea, see what the Vet says, as you say the steroids can be kept up with and at her age, long term effects wont be that much of an issue and if she eats more with the steroids, she will feel better too. Good luck.
Dawn.

Fran
11-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Yep good idea, see what the Vet says, as you say the steroids can be kept up with and at her age, long term effects wont be that much of an issue and if she eats more with the steroids, she will feel better too. Good luck.
Dawn.

It's such a fight getting the tablets down her though :? I can get them down her but it is so stressful for her it just doesn't seem fair. Wonder if the steroid jabs have the same effect...increasing appetite??

Donna
11-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Poor little thing. I hope she feels more like eating tomorrow.

Fran
12-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks all...I suppose at 18 she has the right to decide she is off her food for a couple of days :roll: but I do worry about her. She is my soulmate and love her with my life

Kay
12-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Fran, just a thought but at her age have you checked in her mouth to see if any of her teeth are loose. That would cause her pain when she ate and therefore would put her off even if she is hungry, as she seems to be. At her age though I would get her to the vets anyway. Good luck and let us know how she is.

Emm
12-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I hope shes feeling a wee bit better today - its so worrying when they aren't feeling right - I agree with the others I would make an appointment at the vets.

Fran
12-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks all, yes she had a full MOT at the vets just a few weeks ago and her teeth are remarkably well for her age. All her blood work was normal, no sign of kidney failure, diabetes or anything come to that!! In fact the vet was astounded just how well she was for her age :D

Well the good news is that the ham she had last night must have kick started her appetite again. She has mangaed some cat food during the night, albeit mainly the jelly rather than the meat :roll: I think she must have heard the words VET mentioned and thought no way!! I better eat. (She has only been to the vet a handful of times in her life lime and most of thoses were for vaccination...she was really stressed out going the last couple of times just recently). Anyhow I am going to give her some cooked chicken this morning and see how she goes. If she doesn't eat the chicken then we are off to the vets...will let you know how she gets on

yola
12-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear Lucky's perked up Fran :-D

Kay
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Fran

Glad things are on the mend. If you have to go back to the vets ask them if you could have some Science Hill AD Diet cat food it is great for convalescent cats and poor appetite as not much is needed and it is more like a paste. You can warm it a little in the microwave as well.

Fran
12-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Fran

Glad things are on the mend. If you have to go back to the vets ask them if you could have some Science Hill AD Diet cat food it is great for convalescent cats and poor appetite as not much is needed and it is more like a paste. You can warm it a little in the microwave as well.

Thanks Kay, will ask them about next time I'm in there. How palatable is it?? as she is really fussy with her food

Mags
12-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Glad to hear Lucky seems a bit better Fran.....

dinahsmum
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Sorry I missed all this but pleased she seems to be on the 'up'.

borderdawn
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Great news Fran, hope it continues. Yes I would imagine the injections are the same as the pills. My JRT used to have steroid injections rather than the pills.
Dawn.

Kazz
12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Oscar has injections rather than tablets, and it has been 6 weeks since his last jab :-D so we will be off again this week his arthritis is coming back.

Glad to hear Lucky is on the mend:D told you give her the ham;)
Karen

Jeanette
12-12-2005, 06:12 PM
oh Fran, what a scary post:-(

I'm glad she seems to be getting better..

Hugs J

Kay
12-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Fran never tried it myself he he.

I use it to start weaning the kittens and they love it, in fact all the adults try to pinch it and I have some very fussy eaters so I guess it must be very palatable. If you have any probs getting it let me know and I could post you some.

Fran
12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Fran never tried it myself he he.

:lol: @ Kay!!!

Thanks for your help Kay. I will speak to our vets about it :)

Fran
13-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I think panic is over, for the time being anyhow :roll: She has eaten well today - as well as she does eat :? I'm wondering if having Georgie back (one of Tikka's pups now 10 months old) has unsettled her a little?? That's the only change we have had in the last couple of days. But she has done quite ok today with her food so I am pleased :D

Donna
13-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Glad to hear Lucky is eating again.:)

Fran
13-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks Donna...she had me worried there for a while. At 18 I feel she is living on borrowed time so the slightest thing with her and I am paniking :roll:

Kay
13-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I think panic is over, for the time being anyhow :roll: She has eaten well today - as well as she does eat :? I'm wondering if having Georgie back (one of Tikka's pups now 10 months old) has unsettled her a little?? That's the only change we have had in the last couple of days. But she has done quite ok today with her food so I am pleased :D

Glad to here Lucky is back to her fussy eating self. It could well have been having Georgie back that did it. Upset the applecart for her.

Elfin
13-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Fran, I am pleased to hear that Lucky is eating again :D You must be so relieved.