PDA

View Full Version : Lion cubs

Luke
16-11-2005, 06:44 PM
as you all know i have a vast family, and we all have 1 downfall we are like cats and cant stay in one place for too long. well let me rephrase that, we all like change once in a while. An aunt of mine, Avril, moved out to kenya in the late seventies with her family, they moved to a desolate farm in the middle of Kenya, my aunt Avril got a job as a nurse in a local hospital and her husband, my uncle keith had a job in the airports, he was a pilot.
Anyways they have lived there for many years now, and we keep in contact via phone and email regually, and well we had a phone call yesterday and we were given news my aunt and family were fostering 2 lion cubs in there house:shock: they have worked with a local charity for orphaned wildlife for many years, volounteering mainly, but this time was different these were around 4 day old Lion Cubs, that have to be fed from the bottle and have constant care, it was hard apparentlly to do so in the centre so my aunt volunteered to have them at her home, she was laughing with the head of the centre saying back in england i raised many a litter of kittens, the only difference now the kittens are probably the sized of Irish Wolfhound puppies:lol: :lol:

But yes i am astonished that she has 2 lioness cubs in her home, my mum kept giggling and saying that my aunt avrisl house will be life born free soon:roll:

but yes i thought i would share it with you, considering lions are a cat species. Just wish i could get photos of them:(

John
16-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi Luke ...that would make some lovely photos..and to have a progress report as they grow up.

Fran
16-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I agree with John, is there any way you get get some piccies? We would love to see them :cat21

Luke
16-11-2005, 10:13 PM
no pictures im afraid, my aunt doesnt own a digi cam or a scanner, a shame, but i will keep you updated :)

Fran
16-11-2005, 10:14 PM
What a shame Luke :( But updates would be lovely :D

Mags
16-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Perhaps she could send some ordinary photos to you Luke then you could get them on here.....

Luke
16-11-2005, 10:22 PM
oooh i will suggest that, aunty avril is a little in the dark ages, she has a very tired PC which sends out emails once in a luna moon :roll: she isnt one for technology any more, so will have to see if she even uses a normal camera....

Fran
16-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Perhaps she could send some ordinary photos to you Luke then you could get them on here.....

Now there's a thought Mags...good idea ;)

Mags
16-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Just out of interest Luke, how many aunts have you got all together?

Luke
16-11-2005, 11:52 PM
welll...coincidentlly i have just been talking to het about a similar topic.......
on my mums side there are 7girls, including herself, and 2 boys, and another boy aswell but from another marriage. on my dads side there was just him and his sister, so i have in total 7 aunts, all very perculiar to put it politley, and dont get me started on the rest of the family :roll:

Fran
16-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Big family then Luke :shock:

Mags
16-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Quite a big family then Luke!!

Luke
16-11-2005, 11:57 PM
oh yes, and considering that...
my mum and dad had me and my actual sister and my mum had 2 adopted daughters
1 aunt had 2 sons
another aunt had 3 daughters and 2 sons
another aunt had 4 sons
another aunt had 1 son 1 daughter
another aunt has 2 daughters
another aunt has 1 son
and the grand final'e aunt has 15 children, 8 daughters and 7 sons :shock:

then my my uncles have 3 between them so they have stayed small numbered, so yes Fran and Mags, BIG family :lol:

Fran
17-11-2005, 12:01 AM
oh yes, and considering that...
my mum and dad had me and my actual sister and my mum had 2 adopted daughters
1 aunt had 2 sons
another aunt had 3 daughters and 2 sons
another aunt had 4 sons
another aunt had 1 son 1 daughter
another aunt has 2 daughters
another aunt has 1 son
and the grand final'e aunt has 15 children, 8 daughters and 7 sons :shock:

then my my uncles have 3 between them so they have stayed small numbered, so yes Fran and Mags, BIG family :lol:

Big Christmas card list then Luke ;)

Mags
17-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Wow, I got lost with that lot Luke!:lol:

Luke
17-11-2005, 12:39 AM
yes it is very loosing, and my eldest 2 adopted sisters, are infact well one of my aunts daughters, she was 15 got pregnant my parents were catholic, old school, dictators so my mum ended up with the twin girls and brought them up as her own........

John
17-11-2005, 10:49 PM
it sounds a lovely part of the world your aunt lives ...and to help feeding cubs....well fantastic..

Jade1991
19-11-2005, 06:22 PM
O'h Thats Lovely just like the film Born Free (Virginia Mckenna & Bill Travers!) who were the stars I loved that film.!

Luke
19-11-2005, 06:40 PM
indeed John it is
yes Jade that is my favourite film to and our latest addition, Maine Coon x Brittish shorthair, is named after the charasmatic lioness, Elsa.

Luke
19-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Cub update

Just received a phone call from Aunt Avril, today the cubs took their venture around the kitchen of where they are being kept, they have started to terrorise my aunts six siamese x ragdoll cats, and think that they are just your average moggy, both have been confirmed to be female cubs, and are nice and healthy so have a very good chance of survivial.
I believe my aunt has them until they are 10 months old, this is when they go off to be inducted into a reserve, i think, it could be older but i think tis age was right. During this time they musnt get to surburbanted so to speak, my aunt avril said how she insists on telling eeryone they are lions born wild and must remain to some extent, the same.

John
19-11-2005, 11:28 PM
thanks for the update Luke..I find this very very interesting

Az
20-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Luke try and get some pics!! I LOVE Lions!!! :lol:

Chairman Miaow
20-11-2005, 10:16 AM
welll...coincidentlly i have just been talking to het about a similar topic.......
on my mums side there are 7girls, including herself, and 2 boys, and another boy aswell but from another marriage. on my dads side there was just him and his sister, so i have in total 7 aunts, all very perculiar to put it politley, and dont get me started on the rest of the family :roll:
My dad is one of seven and my mom is one of three. Its quite strange having so many family members from one side, I am one of twenty one cousins on my Dad's side and one of 5 from my moms.