PDA

View Full Version : Breeding

Chairman Miaow
12-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I would like to be a breeder one day but not until I have researched a lot more and moved to a nice sized house. So not for a while then...
Anyway, I don't think I shared the story of my kitten Dani with this board. She was a Siamese kitten that I bought from one of the BYB because I didn't have any knowledge about how to go about adopting a pedigree kitten. I know better now.
To make a long, and very sad story, short she was only six weeks old (the breeder lied about her age), stunted and she subsequently died 8 days after her adoption. I sent all my vets paperwork and pictures of Dani to the RSPCA and I hope that I helped/will help her cats being taken away if not now then in the future.
This made me realize that I really wanted to breed pedigree cats one day, not Siamese as they are already well established but another less known breed.
Although I have not posted much on this board everyone here seems friendly and I feel like I am less likely to b attacked for this.
So what I wanted to know is do any breeders have tops for me to start working on becoming a breeder, any books I can read for example, any tips etc.
Thank you so much!

Fran
12-11-2005, 09:56 PM
So sorry to hear about Dani :( I cannot really help you re breeding pedigree cats..dogs yes ,but not cats. Hopefully some one else will come along and be able to offer you some advice...

Chairman Miaow
12-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Thank you. I think I cried buckets over Dani but getting Mica helped a lot. Its not something you can ever get over because she was so small and ill and all she would do was cry. However, I would like to do this in her name for her! She was so special.

You can see her picture here if you want:
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2616

Mags
13-11-2005, 11:12 AM
So sorry to hear about Dani, that was very sad. I'm afraid I know nothing about breeding cats but hope that someone here will be ablt to give you advice....good luck!

Chairman Miaow
15-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I s anyone in this forum a breeder? Can anyone please offer me advice?
Thank you.

Mags
15-11-2005, 02:46 PM
We did have a Persian breeder (Shonedek) on here regularly at one time....she was always full of good advice and help to us. Unfortunately we haven't seen her for a while, I take it she is very busy at the moment. Maybe she will pop in sometime, see your post and offer some advice....

There are also some Bengal breeders on the forum....

Luke
15-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I know het bred a lovely litter of siamese not so long ago....

Az
16-11-2005, 02:27 AM
I'm no expert on the matter, but I think the first step is building a good relationship with your own breeder or a breeder you respect within the breed and preferably someone who is respected within your breed community already producing show winnng cats. They will help guide you through everything and are there when books just can't answer those tricky questions :lol:

Thats just for starters :)

Fran
16-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Very good advice Az ;)

Az
16-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks Fran! i think its a good starting place :)

kittypaws
17-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi so sorry to hear about your cat Dani.If you go to a good breeder he/she should not sell a kitten until they are at least 13 weeks old.If you are seriouse about breeding like have a hobbie in it like me.Then become a member of a cat club then get a prefix with the GCCF.IM in the process of getting mine.I breed persians.Joining a cat club will help you loads.Kitty.xx

Chairman Miaow
19-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I would like to breed Chinchillas I think. I call the cat club and join on Monday.

Thanks for the advice!

Fran
19-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Let us know how you get on cm!!

Chairman Miaow
19-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Will do Fran!

Chairman Miaow
20-11-2005, 11:53 PM
I've been emailing breeders for advice, hopefully I'll hear something!

Chairman Miaow
21-11-2005, 04:41 PM
I submitted a cattery name to TICA and sent off some membership forms to some persian cat clubs. Does anyone know how long it takes to become a member of a cat club? I can't submit a apply for a prefix with the GCCF until I'm a member in a cat club.

Fran
21-11-2005, 07:28 PM
can't help you cm but sure someone who can will be along shortly...

Chairman Miaow
01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I have been accpeted into the colorpoint cat club! I called the GCCF and asked for a register prefix form. I also ordered their constitution, the gccf rule, and the standards of point. Just thought I would let you guys know whats been going on.

randdom
01-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Let me know how you get along. I would be interested in breeding but not for years and years (when i am a proper "grown up") ie settled in a nice house and working (not in my junior house officer years). So let me know how you get on :)

Chairman Miaow
01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Will do :)

Chairman Miaow
02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Spoke to breeder about the possibilty of starting a breeding program. She was very nice, she took down my details and told me to meet her at the show for a chat!

Maine Coon slave
02-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Good luck with the breeding, it takes dedication and can be an expensive business too. A friend of mine used to breed and lots of people think it's easy money, just boy meets girl and kittens arrive to sell!!! It's not until you get to know a breeder and understand their daily routine and see the expense of 13 weeks of feeding, cat littering and vetting kittens that you realise just how much is required. God knows it's even worse if you're unfortunate enough to have a problem with the mum or babies.
But, again best of luck with it and it's lovely to have kittens around but she found it sooooo hard to let them go.

Chairman Miaow
02-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I have been reading a lot of books about breeding and genetics so I have an idea from the author’s experience. However, I understand that I will not totally comprehend this experience until I have done it myself. I am doing this for the right reason not for a quick buck :) I know I won't make money out of breeding for that reason and I am fine with that, it a hobby not a job. If it all goes wrong, or if I decide its not for me, I will neuter the cat and have a lovely pet to take to shows.
Thank you for your advice.