Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

12-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #1

Breeding

I would like to be a breeder one day but not until I have researched a lot more and moved to a nice sized house. So not for a while then...
Anyway, I don't think I shared the story of my kitten Dani with this board. She was a Siamese kitten that I bought from one of the BYB because I didn't have any knowledge about how to go about adopting a pedigree kitten. I know better now.
To make a long, and very sad story, short she was only six weeks old (the breeder lied about her age), stunted and she subsequently died 8 days after her adoption. I sent all my vets paperwork and pictures of Dani to the RSPCA and I hope that I helped/will help her cats being taken away if not now then in the future.
This made me realize that I really wanted to breed pedigree cats one day, not Siamese as they are already well established but another less known breed.
Although I have not posted much on this board everyone here seems friendly and I feel like I am less likely to b attacked for this.
So what I wanted to know is do any breeders have tops for me to start working on becoming a breeder, any books I can read for example, any tips etc.
Thank you so much!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #2

Re: Breeding

So sorry to hear about Dani I cannot really help you re breeding pedigree cats..dogs yes ,but not cats. Hopefully some one else will come along and be able to offer you some advice...

Catsey Junior

12-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #3

Thank you. I think I cried buckets over Dani but getting Mica helped a lot. Its not something you can ever get over because she was so small and ill and all she would do was cry. However, I would like to do this in her name for her! She was so special.

You can see her picture here if you want:
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...ead.php?t=2616

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #4

So sorry to hear about Dani, that was very sad. I'm afraid I know nothing about breeding cats but hope that someone here will be ablt to give you advice....good luck!

Catsey Junior

15-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #5

I s anyone in this forum a breeder? Can anyone please offer me advice?
Thank you.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #6

We did have a Persian breeder (Shonedek) on here regularly at one time....she was always full of good advice and help to us. Unfortunately we haven't seen her for a while, I take it she is very busy at the moment. Maybe she will pop in sometime, see your post and offer some advice....

There are also some Bengal breeders on the forum....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
15-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #7

I know het bred a lovely litter of siamese not so long ago....

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
16-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #8

I'm no expert on the matter, but I think the first step is building a good relationship with your own breeder or a breeder you respect within the breed and preferably someone who is respected within your breed community already producing show winnng cats. They will help guide you through everything and are there when books just can't answer those tricky questions

Thats just for starters

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #9

Very good advice Az

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
16-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #10

Thanks Fran! i think its a good starting place