PDA

View Full Version : To Jab or Not To Jab?

Amadeus
25-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Okay, bet i get called something BAD after this posting.:(

I live in an apartment, have two; mmm what's the word? little bas%$#@*^:shock: , no sorry thats not it:? , ahh got it Cats.:-P

Well the thing is years ago, they got vaccinated, but haven't been for six years now, both very healthy, they get wormed eat Iams cat fud (dry), occassional pouch of Felix, not to meention treats and ANYTHING that I eat:roll: !!!

Now some say that there's no need to give them a jab with them being totally indoor cats. That was the view of my last vet, said that they had had shots in the past so they already have anti-bodies. My new vet says: no that's wrong that they MUST be jabbed.

Now does anyone have any thoughts to add to this?

Mags
25-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure which vet is right Amadeus :?
Cassie has her boosters every year but that is because the Cattery insists on it when we leave her there during our holidays. She is also an outdoor cat so it is a bit different in her case. I'm sure others will be along to share their thoughts with you......

Amadeus
25-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Cattery, Mags? Lucky you, mine would picket the kitchen if i even tried that approach!!!
I have people call, in feed them, play with them, turn telly on!!!!

HUGE mistake, spoiling 'em!!!!

Mags
25-10-2005, 09:53 PM
If I had an indoor cat I'm sure I would do the same:lol:
The only reason she goes into a Cattery is because I know she will be safe. The last cat I had (also an outdoor cat) had a bad accident, broken pelvis..... so I would worry all the time we were away if I didn't know she was somewhere safe :roll:

Amadeus
25-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Not good when they have accidents, difficult to deal with.

When i lived in a house i had outdoor cats, but now not really practical. They love it, just luv it!, when i go away, they just 'do cute' and gets loads of goodies and treats!!!! Quite depressed when i get back!

bobbie3917
25-10-2005, 10:36 PM
if your cats are never going to go out then i say they should be fine BUT there is always a chance that you or a friend could bring something in which they would not have anti-bodies against.

my girls will be getting done every year and that is only as i will be planning on breeding them and i think they should have them and the fact that no stud owner would let me use there boys if i didnt. but saying that i am going to try and do it every 14/16 months and not every year

Fran
25-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Repeated vaccination is quite controversial :? There is a school of thought that we over vaccinate and in effect can reverse the desired effect :shock: My gut instinct on this is...If cats and indeed dogs are to be used for breeding then thet should be fully vaccinated and boosted every year to ensure passing on vital antibodies on to their offspring. If not then I think it is reasonably ok to vaccinate for the first few years of life then stop. Of course if your cats need to go into boarding accomodation then it may be necessary for them to continue to receive the annual booster to meet the boarding establishment's standards......

Emm
25-10-2005, 11:34 PM
If they are indoor cats then I would probably not get them vaccinated - but my cats are outdoor and I lost a cat this year to feline leukimea (sp?) and I will never risk it again :(

Fran
25-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Awww Emm, I'm really sorry to hear about your cat :( Did he/she have any vaccinations at all? and how old was your cat when he contracted this awful disease?

Amadeus
26-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Pretty Kitty, are you my original vet in disguise? Pretty much what she said. I'm sticking with her original advice

Amadeus
26-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Emm, i realize that this will not help, but i'm sorry to hear of your cat.

Fran
26-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Pretty Kitty, are you my original vet in disguise? Pretty much what she said

:lol: Wish I was a vet Amadeus, I'd save a fortune in vet's bills :roll: :-D

I did look into it quite extensively as I breed Labrador retrievers. I must say that the thought of over vaccinating my pets worries me but where my dogs are concerned I have to ensure that my puppies receive the vital antibodies. So they are boosted every year. Any non breeding pets in my household are only vaccinated for the first few years of their lives.

dinahsmum
26-10-2005, 09:44 AM
My pair had their initial kitten jabs, then nothing till we moved here 3 years ago and I neded to kennel them. They had lived a normal indoor/outdoor life from zero to 12 and 14 years respectively at that time.

They have had 2 annual boosts since we moved but nothing this year. I won't kennel then again (too aged for the upheaval I think - they will be 'attended' by kind neighbours when we're not here). So, that's a 15 and a 17 year old, with the immunity that previous jabs and the natural immunity that life has given them, living quiet, mostly indoor, lives.

Don't know what that proves or disproves. If I was you, Amadeus, I'm sure I wouldn't bother but that's just me saying what I would do - not telling/advising you.

The whole annual booster issue is contentious isn't it? I know there is a growing body of veterinary opinion against it, and it does seem odd, compared to our own experience as humans, where once our immune systems have been challenged and produced the antibodies that's it. We don't have annual boosters, just occassional boosts for some diseases in certain circumstances.......travelling etc. My niece, the vet student, has done a lot of research and disapproves of annual boosters - whether she will when they produce a percentage of her income is another matter!

On the other hand, the annual trip to the vets for apparently healthy animals gives the opportunity for a very general/superficial examination. I'm not sure how many conditions are identified by their swift heart check, gland feel and eye, ear and mouth examination?

mmm. there you are, my two-penn'orth. Don't know if it's worth that! :cat21

Luke
26-10-2005, 10:48 AM
well just gonna stick a spanner in the works, very recentlly my grandmother lost one of her siamese, Veritty who on October 31st of this year would have been n27 years old! she was never vaccinated and went out and about like a normal cat, went to the vet once in 27 years and that was to be speyed when her brooding days were over!
if i recall i don't think Clementine had her kitten vaccines but that was only because she was suffering from cat flu at the time, she hasn't been boostered and shes 3 on March the 8th, personally i don't see how they help, overly our puppy had her vaccines some month ago and got severlly ill from the 2nd one so my perspective has changed on them :wink:

yola
26-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Well this is a valuable thread as far as I'm concerned because I have always had my indoor (and only very occasionally outdoor) cats vaccinated. And I've never really thought about or analysed the pros and cons.

The cats have always been healthy, but not sure if this is as a result of the jabs or not; maybe even without the jabs they would have been fine so have I been wasting my money?

The only other thing I would add is whether NOT innoculating would invalidate pet insurance (if you have any, that is).

Jac
26-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Thats one of the main questions you are asked when makeing a claim, or starting an insurance policy. I think if they weren't up-to-date that would give the insurance that very much sought after (it seems) get out clause. I may be wrong but dont think so.

dinahsmum
26-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes - I think you are probably right - non-vaccination would be likely to invalidate an insurance claim. Mine aren't insured either.............maybe I'm the worst mum in the world!

Amadeus
26-10-2005, 02:58 PM
where insurance policies are an issue i normally have bonds and savings, after all thats all an insurance companies do. Not a fan of insurance.

Jac
26-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not a fan of them either. They do have there place but just DONT try to make a claim cause they'll try to find any exuse to get out of paying up. Speaking about personal injury claim here
http://bestsmileys.com/evil/9.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/evil/4.gif

yola
26-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Regarding pet insurance, the 3 times I've claimed for 2 of my cats I have never ever had a problem, infact, minimal questions asked from them and cheque arrived very swiftly each time :)

Maybe I've been lucky coz my house insurance co have been good too!!

Emm
26-10-2005, 06:48 PM
originally posted by Pretty Kitty
Awww Emm, I'm really sorry to hear about your cat :sad: Did he/she have any vaccinations at all? and how old was your cat when he contracted this awful disease?

It was Tippy Toes I don't know how old she was because we fostered her then decided to keep her she was definately over 10 years old though. She was diagnosed earlier in this year and she died only a couple of months after diagnosis. I have no idea about her vaccinations - the person who had her got her from a cat rescue so I'm guessing they vaccinated her?

My other cats had all had their initial vaccinations but no boosters because I was frightened they would react badly to the vaccinations - but when we found out about Tippy Toes we had to get them all tested luckily it had not spread to them - so I got them vaccinated and they will recieve annual boosters from now on.

It hasn't been that long really since she died but I miss her loads - I feel so much to blame for her dying - I really wish I had done things differently :cry:

Fran
26-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm not a fan of them either. They do have there place but just DONT try to make a claim cause they'll try to find any exuse to get out of paying up. Speaking about personal injury claim here
http://bestsmileys.com/evil/9.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/evil/4.gif

I haven't had a problem with insurance. I don't insure the cats but if I have ever made a claim on the dog's insurance they have always paid out without quibbling :cool:

Mags
26-10-2005, 08:56 PM
We have recently made a claim for personal injury for my OH whilst on holiday last month....I'm pleased to say they paid up in two weeks with no quibble...

Fran
26-10-2005, 09:04 PM
It was Tippy Toes I don't know how old she was because we fostered her then decided to keep her she was definately over 10 years old though. She was diagnosed earlier in this year and she died only a couple of months after diagnosis. I have no idea about her vaccinations - the person who had her got her from a cat rescue so I'm guessing they vaccinated her?

My other cats had all had their initial vaccinations but no boosters because I was frightened they would react badly to the vaccinations - but when we found out about Tippy Toes we had to get them all tested luckily it had not spread to them - so I got them vaccinated and they will recieve annual boosters from now on.

It hasn't been that long really since she died but I miss her loads - I feel so much to blame for her dying - I really wish I had done things differently :cry:

Emm you are not to blame for Tippy Toes illness. Sometimes things like this happen and for no apparant reason and no one is to blame. Time is a great healer and although you will never forget Tippy Toes, your sadness at this time will turn to fond and lasting memories of her.....{{{Hugs}}} to you

CathyW
27-10-2005, 12:53 PM
all my 3 are indoor cats,and i havent had them jabbed.