Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

25-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #1

To Jab or Not To Jab?

Okay, bet i get called something BAD after this posting.

I live in an apartment, have two; mmm what's the word? little bas%$#@*^ , no sorry thats not it , ahh got it Cats.

Well the thing is years ago, they got vaccinated, but haven't been for six years now, both very healthy, they get wormed eat Iams cat fud (dry), occassional pouch of Felix, not to meention treats and ANYTHING that I eat !!!

Now some say that there's no need to give them a jab with them being totally indoor cats. That was the view of my last vet, said that they had had shots in the past so they already have anti-bodies. My new vet says: no that's wrong that they MUST be jabbed.

Now does anyone have any thoughts to add to this?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: To Jab or Not To Jab?

I'm not sure which vet is right Amadeus
Cassie has her boosters every year but that is because the Cattery insists on it when we leave her there during our holidays. She is also an outdoor cat so it is a bit different in her case. I'm sure others will be along to share their thoughts with you......

Banned

25-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #3

Cattery, Mags? Lucky you, mine would picket the kitchen if i even tried that approach!!!
I have people call, in feed them, play with them, turn telly on!!!!

HUGE mistake, spoiling 'em!!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #4

If I had an indoor cat I'm sure I would do the same
The only reason she goes into a Cattery is because I know she will be safe. The last cat I had (also an outdoor cat) had a bad accident, broken pelvis..... so I would worry all the time we were away if I didn't know she was somewhere safe

Banned

25-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #5

Not good when they have accidents, difficult to deal with.

When i lived in a house i had outdoor cats, but now not really practical. They love it, just luv it!, when i go away, they just 'do cute' and gets loads of goodies and treats!!!! Quite depressed when i get back!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
25-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #6

if your cats are never going to go out then i say they should be fine BUT there is always a chance that you or a friend could bring something in which they would not have anti-bodies against.

my girls will be getting done every year and that is only as i will be planning on breeding them and i think they should have them and the fact that no stud owner would let me use there boys if i didnt. but saying that i am going to try and do it every 14/16 months and not every year

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #7

Repeated vaccination is quite controversial There is a school of thought that we over vaccinate and in effect can reverse the desired effect My gut instinct on this is...If cats and indeed dogs are to be used for breeding then thet should be fully vaccinated and boosted every year to ensure passing on vital antibodies on to their offspring. If not then I think it is reasonably ok to vaccinate for the first few years of life then stop. Of course if your cats need to go into boarding accomodation then it may be necessary for them to continue to receive the annual booster to meet the boarding establishment's standards......

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
25-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #8

If they are indoor cats then I would probably not get them vaccinated - but my cats are outdoor and I lost a cat this year to feline leukimea (sp?) and I will never risk it again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #9

Awww Emm, I'm really sorry to hear about your cat Did he/she have any vaccinations at all? and how old was your cat when he contracted this awful disease?

Banned

26-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #10

Pretty Kitty, are you my original vet in disguise? Pretty much what she said. I'm sticking with her original advice