Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
19-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #1

Setting up a cattery

My husband asked me last night what my thoughts were on starting a cattery something I have mentioned to him before but didn't think he was that keen He wants us to look into it & maybe start a business boarding cats we have the space / experience. we have both worked in boarding establishments in our youth so have a good idea of how things work. Main problem would be someone to look after the cats. Would hubby give his job up to do it? Or would we employ someone to do it?
Perhaps we'll have a good think about it on holiday ................... holiday! Oh yes - what am I doing sitting on my PC - I have loads to do today..............see ya............................

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #2

Re: Setting up a cattery

That would be lovely Smudgley, you would probably need someone to help out especially with the jobs like cleaning out pens, litter trays etc, all of which are very time consuming...

Now get off that PC and start packing! Have a great holiday!!

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #3

Yes mags - if we did it - we would have to do it all properly. I wouldn't / couldn't give my job up, but if we had enough cat pens & it was financially viable then hubby may give his job up - or we would consider paying someone to come & work here. I've been looking at the cat boarding licence etc & it all sounds good so far, what I wouldn't want to do though is have less CP cats - obviously they'd be very seperate - but I love doing that & wouldn't want that to change at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #4

Sounds like a great idea Smudgley, you have the experience and space. Oooooh exciting times ahead!! Now do as Auntie Mags says and get that suitcase packed or else!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #5

@ PK

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #6

I hope your away packing! Have a great holiday. ps whats cp cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #7

Just worked it out!!! cat protection

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #8

Oh Smudgley I could reccomend people to you the nicest cattery I ever saw was in Sutton, a lady with a reasonable sized garden had about 10 pens and they were lovely, with a sleeping area the size of a small shed with different levels a run then the dors of that wereopened onto a safety area where you couldn't open the pen gat unless you close that one, then a secure walkway that had a gate on the one end leading to a storage area with a couple of chairs in a consrvatory type thing where the lady sat to do her sewing keeping the cats compnay.

The pens had radio speaker in and the cats could have
the radio on WM as it happens and they all had heaters.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #9

We are going to look into it. I think it would be a good idea & a nice thing to do - I know there are downsides too, but we will discuss it whilst we are away.
The big thing is - do we have a few pens ie 6-10 & employ someone to work here? Or do we have more & hubby leave his job to be here?
Love the idea of the cats listening to WM - they wouldn't understand Danny though with his accent. They would all be black country cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #10

You could be right I swear I heard one of them say "Mind the hoss road" as I left

Karen