Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #1

What is wrong with them!

OK for anyone who hasn't read my other post - yesterday my cats had
2 frogs
a mouse
a blackbird

& today I found 3 baby birds (really tiny ones with no hair) which have obviously been stolen from a nest - now why have they suddenly gone hunting mad? They haven't killed anything for months & months & suddenly all this!
I know it's nature - but it makes me angry - they are such lovely girls, with the sweetest temperaments & they can kill little creatures

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #2

Re: What is wrong with them!

How odd that they should start now.....are all the cats involved Smudgley?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #3

This is really strange behaviour for them to be hunting so intensely just over a couple of days......are you sure you are feeding them Smudgley

Catsey Veteran

07-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #4

Well it's not Mitten, because she's done a runner again (she's the one who spends half her life at our old house & she's not been here the last couple of days)

Smudge (who can do no wrong in my eyes & I have told my husband many times I love her more than him & if ever I had to choose between them it would be ......................... you know who ) well she occasionally brings back a bird, but hasn't done for ages, she did steal a baby bird from a nest a few weeks ago - but before that I can't remember the last time she had a bird. Occasionally she'll have a mouse, but again it tends to be now & again. As far as I know she's never had a frog before.

Emily - I've never seen her stalking or killing anything, too slow maybe, too thick possibly? not sure really, just too sweet to kill things

So although I haven't caught them in the act it was Emily who had both the frogs & she was very close to the mouse.

Nothing else has changed. I am feeding them . They both sleep on my bed as normal. The only slight change in routine is that we have pups & I'm at home a lot more than usual.

edit to add - Do you think they are trying to impress me because I am spending a lot of time with my foster cats? I have all 4 pens full at present & have more cats in than I have had before. Although I still give my own lots of attention, do you think they maybe feel a bit jealous? Oh I will never understand cats, I've studied dog behaviour & it all makes sense about dogs - but cats I just don't understand them sometimes.

PS - I found more baby birds - they were scattered all over the lawn & they must have took the lot I hope noone saw them, some people do nasty things to cats don't they.

Global Moderator

07-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #5

Do you think they could be bringing you presents because, as you say, you are home more than usual
Maybe Smudge (who can do no wrong ) planted the frogs and mouse on Emily so she would get the blame

Hope your nose is on the mend Smudgley

Catsey Veteran

07-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #6

I think Emily would like to catch things & I think she is very proud of her frogs - but I do think Smudge caught them & gave them to her, I just don't think Emily has got in in her to kill them.

My nose is sore & my tongue is black & blue - otherwise I'm fine now.

Lucy is much better today & is off to school tomorrow (I asked Dr if she can go & he said yes if she's feeling ok & as long as she's not coughing as that's how it can be spread) she hasn't got a cough at all & she wants to go back - so she might as well go, I checked today with the school that they'll give her the antibiotics & they said they will.(she's on 4xdaily & I can't fit 4 in unless she has one at school)

Global Moderator

07-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #7

{posted by Smudgley}
My nose is sore & my tongue is black & blue - otherwise I'm fine now.

How about a pic Smudgley?

Glad Lucy is feeling well enough to go back to school tomorrow....hope she gets on alright...

Catsey Veteran

07-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #8

After all the trouble I had posting the last pics of Buttercup & Butterscotch?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #9

Mags or I will post the piccies for you Smudgley Not getting out of it that easily

Global Moderator

07-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #10

You can't wriggle out of it now Smudgley