Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #1

cat friendly discinfectant

Anyone got any thoughts on cat friendly discinfectants for my cat pens?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-03-2005, 11:51 PM   #2

Re: cat friendly discinfectant

Hmmm, don't know about cat pens Smudgley but I tend to use just ordinary disinfectant on the litter tray without any problem.

Catsey Veteran

16-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #3

yeah I just use a mild household discinfectant for cleaning my litter trays - but now i've got the cat pens, I want to have a good cleaning regime in place with some "good quality" proper discinfectant. I know it's expensive to invest in good stuff, but I want to keep the pens nice & fresh & clean & above all reduce risk of infection as much as possible.

The pens are up now & we just need an electrician to come & fit the electrics for the lights & heating & we are all ready for our little guests to arrive

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 12:01 AM   #4

Isn't Jeyes Fluid a disinfectant ? I know it's strong but whether it's suitable for the pens, I wouldn't know.

I bet it's exciting now the pens are up - when it's all finished why not take a photo and I'll put it on here for you.

Global Moderator

17-03-2005, 12:04 AM   #5

Just had a thought, why not ring a local cattery to find out what they use?

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #6

I have read that Jeyes should not be used. As it contains phenol which can be harmful to cats, this surprised me because it is safe to use in rabbit hutches / kennels / stables.(or at least I think it is)

thanks Mags ~~ Yes I'd love you to post me a pic, once completed (should be this weekend) I'll get a photo, perhaps Smudge will even pose in one of the bed areas to give the full effect. Maybe one day I'll learn to post my own, I have done it before but it takes me ages, literally all afternoon to post some photos onto photobucket, then to transfer them. Maybe I will read up on how to post as I must be doing it wrong, but in the meantime I'll mail you a photo. x

Good idea - I'll speak to a local cattery, although having worked in boarding kennels/catteries years ago I would imagine they use the cheapest possible stuff (like a big drum of it for a quid ) & then they use half a teaspoon of it in a bucket of water.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
17-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #7

ive always used bleach as it will kill just about anything and its safe for cats.Jeyes you have to make sure dries before they go in pen as its very strong.NEVER use a disinfectant that turns cloudy in the water.(eg Dettol)What makes it goes cloudy is actually a poision to cats.I didnt know this till fairly recently speaking to vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #8

We use Virkon, for horse and dogs, kills moulds, bacteria, fungi and ringworm etc.. You can buy it from Canine Chemist - www.hyperdrug.com
Just check that it is ok for cats but I don't see any reason why not. I clean pups whelping area with it. 500g - £12.98 / 5kg - £46.94 It comes as a powder that you dissolve it in water.

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #9

Thanks - I wondered if good old bleach was safe to use, that's always a favourite of mine & really cheap too.
Yes virkon is safe for cats, but I know good ventilation is needed which there is in the pens, so there wouldn't be a problem. I always think Virkon makes the place smell really fresh, we use it at work sometimes.

Catsey Veteran

17-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #10

Bye for now - just off to hyperdrug to check out their products. Hope they're open