Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #1

Churches/cathedrals/castles

Following on from CS's post in the daily yesterday with the teaching assignment in Leeds castle made me smile and recall how much I like old churches/cathedrals/castles. I had a plan to visit/photgraph all cathedrals in UK and somehow I let it slip. Will start that again as cathedrals are normaly in such beautiful places as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
24-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

Re: Churches/cathedrals/castles

i do enjoy visiting castles and cathedrals when im ou and about. I love the photography aspect of them as they have amazing shapes and lines which make great photos.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
24-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Over the years we've visited many of our ancient cathedrals but hadn't done those of East Anglia so one year we spent a week and visited Norwich, Lincoln, Peterborough, Ely, and Bury St Edmund's, what a lovely time we had. Which was best? couldn't answer that as they were all wonderful in different ways but I have to say that the best welcome was at Peterborough, where a knowledgeable, helpful guide seemed genuinely pleased to see visitors, at some of the others the reception was rather lukewarm and perfunctory (but we didn't let that spoil our visit )

Wish we'd parked nearer to the cathedral at Lincoln though then we wouldn't have had to climb up Steep Hill, what a well-named street!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Oh mentioning Lincoln! Many years ago I was lucky enough to have a friend whose parents lived in one of the houses within the cloisters of Lincoln cathedral. We stayed up there for a few days one winter and I have some amazing photos of the whole place under snow. I'll look them out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

I too enjoy looking around castles, churches and stately homes. As a child i was taken frequently on such visits and in turn took my boys. I prefer it when the castles are furnished, it's easier to imagine how people lived . I also quite enjoy looking around grave yards.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Oh I adore such places Hubby thinks I have very weird tastes lol. We were a member of the NT the year before last and I just loved visiting so many grand houses. Cathedrals and old churches just move me in so many ways. We did the castle trail in Scotland a few times, so many wonderful buildings to see. But I have to admit my favourite places to be are old graveyards . They are so peaceful but so full of history.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #7

Oh that rings a bell and pulls on a heartstring Alex my History O level work was based around graveyards I used to love stone rubbing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

I love really old churches with the old old churchyards attached - some amazing history & castles are just fab x