Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

promoting the quiz

Hi everyone,

We were chatting tonight after the quiz and saying that it would be great to try and promote the quiz to new and old members alike to bring in some fresh faces.

Does anyone have any ideas? My thought was sending an eail when new members join telling them about the forum and the quiz or talking about it in the introductions section when they introduce themselves.

What does everyone else think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Re: promoting the quiz

i think it would be good to get some new people involved in it, helps us get to know another better aswell. sending an not out with the email sounds good, as i bet a lot of new members are unaware that we do it, when i joined i didnt really know what it was lol.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
01-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

I think that your idea about sending an email to new members is good! I would be interested in taking part in the future - but had guests this evening

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

its on every wednesday at around 815pm and is open to everyone hopefully see you there next week

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

It's just for fun: 10 general pub-quiz type questions; no prizes or prestige at winning, no worry about a low score. It's really just to get to know one another more and have a little fun, we do chat a lot along with answering questions. The highest score gets to set the questions for the next week.

Why not look in next Wednesday? You might think it's fun, or that it's not your cup of tea at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

The thing for me is that when I first started doing the quiz, it was about fun and involving everyone, so there would be some tricky questions and some easy ones. It was also about trying to revive the forum and get people involved.
The quiz night soon took off but then the questions became very highbrow and it put alot of members off joining in for fear of looking or feeling dumb or stupid. I said it many times and it fell on deaf ears so what happened was it became a quiz night for an elite few.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
The thing for me is that when I first started doing the quiz, it was about fun and involving everyone, so there would be some tricky questions and some easy ones. It was also about trying to revive the forum and get people involved.
The quiz night soon took off but then the questions became very highbrow and it put alot of members off joining in for fear of looking or feeling dumb or stupid. I said it many times and it fell on deaf ears so what happened was it became a quiz night for an elite few.
I have a memory like a sieve & yes i know its on & mean to join in, but ......

How about sending out a weekly reminder to everyone?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Guess this is directed in part at me ..... never by design were the Qs meant to be too hard and I do admit that sometimes I let my own interests dictate the types of Qs I set. Always a problem really when you have a small group and the general membership's interests are not represented - but that would be cured by a larger group of quizzers.

We do put a reminder in the daily post about the evening quiz, but not everyone reads or submits to the daily thread, we all have our own time constraints and well, lives, too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Guess this is directed in part at me ..... never by design were the Qs meant to be too hard and I do admit that sometimes I let my own interests dictate the types of Qs I set. Always a problem really when you have a small group and the general membership's interests are not represented - but that would be cured by a larger group of quizzers.

We do put a reminder in the daily post about the evening quiz, but not everyone reads or submits to the daily thread, we all have our own time constraints and well, lives, too.
I'll try & do better next week

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Guess this is directed in part at me .....Yes, in part.

never by design were the Qs meant to be too hard
So why was it never heeded when I kept saying it?
and I do admit that sometimes I let my own interests dictate the types of Qs I set.
No problem with that, I'd imagine we'd all be the same but you have to consider everyone and not just a small clique.
Always a problem really when you have a small group and the general membership's interests are not represented - but that would be cured by a larger group of quizzers.
The first few weeks of the quiz, more and more were joining in, then the q's became too highbrow and people just got pissed with it, even more so because I voiced it and none of you cared how the other members felt and carried on regardless.

As far as promoting the quiz, why not conduct some sort of poll to see how people would like it.