Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #1

A frightening morning

One of my walks today became quite a frightening experience. I was walking with Rayne and a wee french bulldog. They were both on lead. While walking through the woods I heard snarling behind me. I turned and saw a black and white collie/cross, stalking up behind us with teeth bared. I wasnt quite sure what to do tbh so kept walking hoping the owner would call the dog and that would be that. But no, the dog came at us from behind, jumped on Rayne and a young ridgeback came running in at the other dog. I turned and saw a woman on her mobile phone with a dog on lead. She didnt call the dogs or for that matter stop her conversation. Rayne let out a scream, the frenchie had the ridgeback by the face. I called on her to come and get her dogs. She replied that she was trying. I lost the plot a bit at that point and told her to get off her phone and come get her dogs. She said the ridgeback was ok and was just a pup. I told her I didnt care just come and get it.
Finally she called the collie cross and took hold of the ridgeback.
As I walked away the collie cross came at us again. I told her that that dog should NOT be off lead. She said something but I didnt hear as Rayne was barking madly.
Once I was out of there I looked the dogs over and spotted the dog wared across the field. So I have reported it and I hope the dog warden caught up with her.
I have NEVER had a dog come at me from behind like that, shook me and the two dogs up a bit. Both have been looked over by the vet and are ok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Re: A frightening morning

*hugs* That would be scary. I'm glad that you are all OK. What a stupid insensitive woman!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

OMG how scary. Glad you and the dogs are OK and that you reported it immediately.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

how horrible, and scary aswell! i wish all dog owners would be responsible and keep them on a leash when needed, or perhaps a muzzle in this dogs case!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #5

I think she is a dog walker like myself, regardless of whether she is the owner or the walker, the dogs should have been under control.
I refuse to walk dogs that I cannot control as that would be unsafe for every one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Blimey Lainey that is scary, especially as you did not see it coming....Hope the Dog Warden caught up with her, I would say that dog was dangerously out of control...!!She should not be walking it off lead!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

How frightening! I'm so glad you reported it immediately, let's hope the dog warden gets onto her without delay. I have to say my Morgan is very wary of collies and collie crosses, he just doesn't like the unblinking, stalking walk they do. He's a bold dog but gets completely unnerved by them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #8

Very very scary! Just glad no one was hurt; hope the woman has sense enough to keep them on lead in future.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
How frightening! I'm so glad you reported it immediately, let's hope the dog warden gets onto her without delay. I have to say my Morgan is very wary of collies and collie crosses, he just doesn't like the unblinking, stalking walk they do. He's a bold dog but gets completely unnerved by them.
Glad they are both okay. But glad you reported it. Sometimes its not the fact you have a "skirmish" between dogs but its the total "lack of concern" from the owners that irritates more. She is lucky it was not me and Sal I would have "put the phone where the sun don't shine"
You were obviously in a good mood Elaine.

Ditto on that Mrs H; my Sal is put on lead immediately a collie comes near us that is acting "collish" for want of a better word, Sal is a bold confident dog but for some reason I swear Collie CollieX's have that look that seems to instigate "the fight/flight" in other dogs they are one of the breeds of dogs I have to be very sure of and usually I walk around. They do appear to stalk I think they are actually "using herding mentality but its gone astray"

If you think the woman is a dog walker I would make strong "efforts" to inform the owners of the dogs of what occured. I mean if the R.R. is a pup the last thing I would think the owners would want is for him to start attacking dogs "following the collie" a dog nasty "R.R" is not what you would want.
Just think what that could do to a dog younger/less confident than Rayne......................Glad all is good.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

thats sounds like a scary walk, glad you reported the irresponsible walker/owner. Dogs like that shouldnt be off the leash