Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal, Tortie Moggie
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Anal problem?!

Hi everyone, i havent posted on here for a while as i have been really busy so please forgive me!

We are having a problem with Logan. When ever we stroke him a lot and he starts to get excited he will get a bit drooly, and not just from his mouth!
He is doing what i can only describe as a "wet fart" (pardon the term!) and it is obviously quite disgusting! I'm wondering if its a gland problem....or something else entirely? I really need to sort this as im sure you can imagine, having him on our laps and the couch when we stroke him is starting to cause problems with "mess" and smells being left beind!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Re: Anal problem?!

Oh dear!! I couldn't begin to guess whats the cause of that but it must be very difficult to live with!
A trip to the vet ASAP if it were my puss, poor you

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal, Tortie Moggie
10-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply....I was thinking of taking him to the vet...it doesnt happen all the time though, its only when he gets super excited. Other than that he is completely fine, eating and drinking as normal...Its just gross...Lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

Impacted anal glands? Vet trip, methinks, ASAP!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

It may well be that the anal sacs are impacted or there may be an infection, best get him off to the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

I think if something is coming out of the glands they can't be impacted. Sooty, sometimes, squirts out of his glands when you stroke him and his glands are fine, I guess it maybe a bit like dogs who wet themselves in excitement or an extreme scenting process similar to rubbing their cheeks against you.

It may be worth checking with the vet and I'd be interested to know what they say. To be honest, I just took it to be a quirk of Sooty and avoid being directly behind him when I stroke him- still it sounds like Logan is a bit excessive with it.

Catsey Veteran

10-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #7

Farthing, I know when the glands are impacted it's solid and has to be expressed; what I was thinking was that if it's still semi-liquid the act of raising the tail might exert some pressure on them (as in defecating) and cause leakage. Then again the foul smell might indicate an infection of some sort. I too would be very interested in what the vet says.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #8

When anal glands become impacted or infected they produce a thicker than normal fluid which smells foul.
Normally we wouldnt really be able to smell what they produce as it is used for marking and each cat has it's own unique flavour.
Impacted doesnt mean that they are completely blocked.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #9

The anal glands may not be blocked, but they have to be expressed by a vet due to the thickness of secretions, which makes me think this isn't the problem. I have, however done a search because it was worried about Sooty and found this.

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/analglands.htm

http://www.askthecatdoctor.com/feline-anal-glands.html

http://www.catchannel.com/experts/ar...clean-cat.aspx

Logan may well have impacted anal glands, but they do also express anal sac fluid when excited or stressed and this can be excessive.

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

Thanks for those informative links, farthing!