Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: maine coon? norweigen forest ??
shimmy is Male
18-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

New member of the family

Hi guys i got Tigger 2 weeks ago he,s a ginger Tom about 14 weeks old . Boycey always had seemed bored on accasions and always asks to play every day religiously so i thought he could do with a 'friend'

Well its been not quite the affair i imagined and Boycey has stood his ground , hissed n wacked little Tigger everytime tigs trys to jump on him n creep up behind. Gotta give it to the pair of them tbh, Tigger doesn,t give up and Boycey is now just starting to make it clear who,s boss!

Anyway back to why i,ve posted , Tigger is getting very winey and miowing hard and long at my back door, the tone changes half way through depending on my answer lolol. He gets angry when i say no bruptly lol,anyway i,m a great believer in letting cats go out , at what age or stage to i put a collar on him and go outside with him? he still needs an injection at vets so wont be doing it before then but want to know whats ideal for tigger . My garden is very bushy, lots of places to hide plus escaping . Loads of foxes around mine too , they love my garden too.
Thanks for reading, here,s a pic of them both on my stairs

Mike

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #2

Re: New member of the family

Morning Mike! Love that photo - little Tigger is scrumptious! If he is only 14 weeks old now, IMO you should not be thinking about letting him outside. He definitely should not go out until he's had his jabs and many people will tell you he shouldn't go out until he's been neutered at around 6 months. That may seem like a long time to keep him in, but by the sound of where you live he could so easily get lost and not be able to find his way home. After my Pip had had his jabs and before he was snipped, I used to walk him around the garden on a lead. I felt that at least I was with him as he began to get his bearings and (so far) I have had no worries about him coming home - in fact he's a bit of a homebody!

I do hope that Boycey and Tigger do become good chums - it will take a while.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
18-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Lovely photo of both your handsome cats

I agree with Angie, don't let your little Tigger out until he's been castrated. By then he'll be well settled into his home, a bit less adventurous and reckless plus, with the castration, less inclined to wander off. Nothing is guaranteed of course but by keeping him in until he's about 6 months old it does improve the odds of him being more of a homebody than a wanderer.

Catsey Junior

shimmy is Male
18-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

ok guys thanks for that i,ll take the advice on board, i,m sure Boycey will be ok with it, he does in my mind secretly quite like him as they do play under my snooker table thats covered over(perfect hide out)
So am i right in saying i,ve got a good few months til its ok to let him out.
Ive picked him up and walked around so he,s getting to know the area , since then he,s been demanding the door is opened lol lol , might try and capture it as its very funny . Upsetting at 1st but now im used to it haha
Thanks again
Mike
p.s yes the pair of them are right little handsome so &so,s little one is sooooooo cute...........

Catsey Junior

shimmy is Male
18-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #5

here,s a pic of them both , couldn,t believe it tbh when i found them, this was about 6 days together

a pic of u know who on the table lol

and the new boy on the beat Tigger(named by a 2yr old) so kept the name

Hope u like , regards

Michael

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

Love the pics, Mike! Both lovely boys, and seems as if Tigger and Boycey are settling in well together.

I agree completely with the above advice about keeping the little one in until he's had his op. And I don't like the sound of those foxes!

Catsey Junior

shimmy is Male
18-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #7

thanks
yeah mr fox sleeps quite a bit in the garden, even had cubs born at the bottom one year, there was 4 of them all playing just like kittens was very sweet. I love foxes but they are a pain too , looks like i,m gonna have to ultra careful as much as i can be
Boycey doesn,t seem to worried about them but he is nearly as big as one lol , ya never know i guess

Mike

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #8

Baby foxes, how cute! Boycey looks as if he could hold his one with one; not sure if a fox would attack a full gown adult, but I'd definitely worry about Tigger!

I live quite near the woods where we have foxes; that's a reason why, in addition to heavy traffic, that my cats have always been harness trained indoor only cats.

Edited: now I have the old folk song The Fox Is On The Town O!" stuck in my head ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy
ok guys thanks for that i,ll take the advice on board, i,m sure Boycey will be ok with it, he does in my mind secretly quite like him as they do play under my snooker table thats covered over(perfect hide out)
So am i right in saying i,ve got a good few months til its ok to let him out.
Ive picked him up and walked around so he,s getting to know the area , since then he,s been demanding the door is opened lol lol , might try and capture it as its very funny . Upsetting at 1st but now im used to it haha
Thanks again
Mike
p.s yes the pair of them are right little handsome so &so,s little one is sooooooo cute...........
Yes Mike - you certainly have! Especially if you're fairly sure he's around 14 weeks - another couple of months, which may get harder as the weather gets warmer and you want to open your doors and windows. For Tigger's own good - jabs, neuter and outside nice and slow. Plenty of time to plan for that!

You're right about him being cute too ................ complete poppet. I love ginger kits!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #10

Beautiful.....both of them....