Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Fluffy ones!
Tim25 is Male
12-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #1

Caring for a blind cat?

Hi, one of my cats Button's has been ill for quite some time now.

He had hypertension, and has kidney problems so is on medication and a prescription diet. When we first realised he was ill it was because he suddenly went blind, which was from a detached retina. Once we had him on medication and some TLC he was pretty much back to normal and his sight returned.

Unfortunately over the last couple of days his sight has deteriorated to the point where he is blind again . He is nearly 15, and I'm worried sick of what the vet will say when we take him in tomorrow.

Does anyone here have or care for a blind cat? I don't want to put him down, I've had him and his sister since they were kittens when we moved here 14 years ago. I'm hopeful that his sight might miraculously return again, but I'm not sure this time.

He has got pretty fussy about taking his tablets lately, if any of you could recommend ways of getting him to take his medication I would be grateful.

Cheers

Tim

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #2

Re: Caring for a blind cat?

Animals can do quite well at adapting to blindness. The thing you will want to be vigilant of is keeping his environment mostly the same and not go rearranging things as he will most likely start to memorize the arrangement of your household.
I have had a partially blind cat and a ferret as well and read up on a lot of stories where animals can be perfectly happy with this disability. I don't think your doctor would advise putting him down unless he is having some kind of other medical issues that cannot be managed.
Also, keep in mind you may want to talk to him and alert him of your whereabouts with your voice.
There will of course be an adjustment period if this was sudden but if it has been a problem before he might already have a head start on that. You may even notice his sister doing things to assist him.
Good luck!

Tim25 is Male
12-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

I've put a litter tray out for him, as he didn't seem to want to do anything outside when I watched him in the garden. As soon as I placed him by the litter tray he went to the loo, which is good hes curled up in his bed now.

I'm hoping he will adjust ok, but hes never seemed to be completely 100% upstairs... so I guess only time will tell. He seems very unsettled but I guess thats only natural if you've just lost your sight!

I just hope his kidneys haven't deteriorated too :'(.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #4

Cats do fine blind, I have one, she is 21, and has been blind for almost 2yrs. Their whiskers are excellent, they dont bump into things like dogs do, they do very well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

I have a friend who had a blind cat, not blind from birth but it came on with age - again, he adjusted very well. As he was old he wasn't inclined to move around much anyway, but he did pootle about in her small (and secured) back garden and managed to get around the house without too much trouble.

Tim25 is Male
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm a little upset that hes lost his sight... but at least he might be able to adjust ok to it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

Hope Buttons goes on alright at the vets Tim25, it's such a worry when they're ill.
Cant realy add to the excellent advice you have already been given, exept to reinforce that you are probably more upset about it than him. Animals wont think oh no i'm blind he will just get on with it once he adjusts. You never know his sight may return.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Good luck with Button's vet visit tomorrow, please let us know how you get on, Tim.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #9

As already said, cats adjust very well to blindness. Here are a few links for you which may be of interest. Alot of very good info on CRF, Hypertension and on medicating our cat.
My old fella had CRF and hypertension came later, we managed to keep the hypertension under control and he didnt go blind. He is sadly long gone now.
Good luck at the vets tomorrow. xxx

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....blood_pressure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

They adapt marvellously. My Misty went blind at about 18, she was so clever at getting around I did not realize for a bit that she'd lost her sight. Yes, don't rearrange furniture too much as they do seem to memorize and know where things are. Cats don't think about the past or worry about the future the way we do, they live in the present. Misty was a happy cat till she went in her sleep at almost 20.