Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: na
16-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Is it fair to keep indoor cats

Hi new thread for me, I'm new be gentle, no claws please!

This is a subject I'm agonising over at the moment, all the reading I've done, people like Vicky Halls et al say provided the cat has sufficient environmental enrichment then cats can lead very happy lives indoors. Having spoken to a cat breeder they seem to think very much that cats should be allowed outside.

And I'm not just talking Moggies here, I'm especially interested in people who have pedigrees with little road sense, do they go batty being kept indoors? Wreck your house/show compulsive behaviour etc

I have bought a huge cat tree and toys, but I'm wondering how fair it'll be to keep a cat indoors, not mentioning the RSPB stuff as cats are hunters and that's what they do, but it's natural behaviour and shouldn't be discouraged imo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

Re: Is it fair to keep indoor cats

I have 3 pedigrees (Persians) and although they have supervised access (makes them sound like crims ) to outdoors, they are essentially indoor.

None seems to have suffered as a result. I have one cat who has always had behaviour issues, but apart from that (he toilets in inappropriate places) they don't scratch or damage anything any more than other cats. Infact I'd say that when my neighbour's outdoor mogs used to come in they'd do more scratching damage than my lot.

Mine not only have little road sense, 2 our of the 3 will walk up to strangers and roll around infront of them, I suspect someone would be tempted to help themselves sooner rather than later so my kits are staying indoors or carefully watched in the garden!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #3

I have 4 pedigree's, and they only get out when I am home and when its nice enough to leave a window open..Maybe an hour or so everyday...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
16-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

My cat has just started going outside recently but seems to stay in the garden only but I do worry about him so much because after my last cat was sadly knocked down by a car.
But as the saying goes you don't own the cat the cat own's you. and that's true. They'll do what they want to do theirs no stopping them (well no stopping Felix).

16-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

I hear what you're saying Aquatic, but I live in a high rise apartment, if kitty wants to go out they have a long drop down!

Thankyou for the replies, I think it's an interesting debtate to have, and I'd be very interested in others experiences.

I haven't got the cat yet.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
16-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #6

Oh I didn't know that I would want Felix to be an indoor cat but there's no stopping him. so I just let him haha!
When are you getting the cat?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
Stephan is Male
16-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

It`s your choice-as long as the cat is happy?

I would never want nor have an indoor cat but that is just me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #8

I have 3 cats, 2 moggies and one pedigree (exotic shorthair). All of them are happy and contented cats. They enjoy lazing on windows enjoying the sun, but none of them (apart from Broxi, one of my moggies) has shown any inclination to go out. And when Broxi does, he soon wants back in again!!

16-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic

Oh I didn't know that I would want Felix to be an indoor cat but there's no stopping him. so I just let him haha!
When are you getting the cat?
Later this week, I'll watch out for stress signs and the usal but it'd be great if there was a definitive answer wouldn't it?

I know some cats are really homely and stay in, and some are roamers so it makes it difficult to tell how a new cat will react.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
16-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #10

Think it is sensible to have them as house cats....