Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #1

A few new treatments for CRF.

We have started Spice and Misty on 2 new treatments for CRF, they have both been found to slow down deterioration of the kidney even more when used in conjunction with a renal diet and fortekor.
The first is 'rubenal' and is a BIG tablet given twice daily ( i break it in half), it is a root extract for a plant in the rhubarb family wich has been found to slow down renal failure.

The other is a powder added to the food twice a day, it is called 'Ipakitine', this binds phosphate and some ureamic toxins.

I also spoke to the vet about vit B injections, and he was all for it, so we will be staring the girls on this as well, once we catch our breath.

Spice is CRF, and because of this we can't put her on metacam, so she had her second session of acupuncture yesterday. She was completely zonked after the first session, but seemed much more comfortable and let me groom her, where as before she would have been hissing and spitting after a couple of seconds.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

Re: A few new treatments for CRF.

Thanks for letting us know about this new treatment farthing. I do hope your "patients" that need it benefit from the new meds and all the love and care you give them too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

Do keep us updated on how they respond to the treatments, I have spoke with several people who used Ipakitine and were happy with it. Phos binders do make it easier to feed a CRF cat easier, rather than feeding prescription foods.
I swear by using B vits, trace iron doesnt go amiss either as many CRF cats do suffer from anemia.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #4

Thanks for posing that, Farthing, very good to know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

I'd be very interested to hear how the rubenal goes as I'd posted about it a while ago.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=32058

Catsey Veteran

16-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #6

Will let you know how it goes, the biggest problem is the rubenal tablets are quite large.

It takes about half an hour to give just the cats their meds, these days.

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #7

Hi farthing - I wonder if you could give an update on these medications? The reason I ask is that a friend has just taken in a stray cat who has CRF. I understand that so far no other issues have been identified.

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #8

I will try and help- I can't really say whether they have made a difference to the cats, because I don't know how quickly they would have deteriorated without- but they are all doing pretty well. Only Spice and Misty are on fortekor and at the point they went on it their protein creatinine ratio was still below 0.5, once the ratio is above 0.5 is when the fortekor starts to do its job and this is when the cats are really starting to decline. The reason Spice and Misty were put on it early was because their blood phosphate levels were elevated and this indicates that they will soon need to go onto fortekor. I also think the vets put them on it because they are both very old, showing signs of weight loss and decrepitude, and I think they were scared not to. Certainly, compared to Chokki the decline seems less quick, but that may be because we are more aware now. I would always give it a go anyway, and the Ipakitine has helped with Spice, because she won't eat the renal diet anymore so she still at least has the phosphates reduced in the food.
Spice is still going against all the odd, so I can only assume these tablets have been instrumental in that.

Good on your friend for taking her in.

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

Thanks for that info farthing. I will pass it on.

This poor cat seems to have been a local - she was chipped but the vet has had no luck contacting the previous owner. A letter has now been sent - seems that's the procedure - and if nothing is heard in two weeks, my friend can take the cat on. The poor cat was in a filthy state, would not groom herself but after a bath, she is now beginning to take more care of herself. The vet thinks she is an older animal.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
03-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

I've used Rubenal with Azodyl (made by same company) and Epikitin in my renal failure dog with incredible results. Her values are almost normal and have held there for six months. Its great stuff IMO. Though it must be difficult to get the rubenal down a cat, it is a LARGE tablet!