Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #1

What a week at the vet.

I have had so many of my pets at the vet this week, I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong!

Misty (cat) was in for a blood pressure check- it was fine- and I spent a whole day waiting for a urine sample from her!
Mustard (toxo cat) was in, for no reason other than my paranoia.
Tabatha (FIV cat) was in with an upper respiratory infection.

Bruno (dog) was in due to lameness, looks like he has arthritis.

Jemima (chicken) has chest infection, she always gets one in this kind of weather.

Jess (rabbit) was in for an op on an abscess again, thankfully we got her x-rayed and there is no damage to the bone and we have sent off samples to see what the infection is suseptable to. The antibiotic we had been using appears to not be working anymore. I have to clean out the wound daily, and try to get the pus out- not easy as rabbit pus is like cream cheese.

Elsie (13 year old sheep) has flystrike. I have been watching her for a couple of days, but trying to catch a sheep in a 4 acre field is nearly impossible. However, she was easily caught on Wednesday, and when I looked closely she had maggots on her side, I was horrified. She is now inside and has been treated, but I am so worried any of the others have anything, but we can't get close enough to have a good look. Elsie is much happier now and the maggots are dead.

Folly (another sheep) has sore feet, she always suffers from bad feet, but we have taken her inside to recover. The ground is so wet she needs a chance to let them dry.

I think that is everybody, for this week, but I do hope next week is quiet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
25-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #2

Re: What a week at the vet.

Wow you have had a busy week. Glad all the animals are all sorted out now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

What a week indeed farthing - bet you're glad it's over!

(I really didn't want to read about rabbit pus whilst I was eating - no, at least not cream cheese, but a bit of cheddar with my lunchtime apple!!!!)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #4

I hope next week will be less stressful for you Farthing......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

What a week! Hope the coming ones will e more peaceful........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #6

Poor you - we are always worried about maggots at this time of year. Thankfully we are all clipped and will be dipping next week.

You have had a time of it at the vet recently. It can only get better surely.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #7

Would you believe it, but I've been back to the vets again today- Charlie quail has broken the end of his beak off and it was bleeding heavily. He has been given an AB and AI and we just have to wait and see if he can eat.

I also got some more painkiller for Jess as she is pretty sore again.

Could be a busy day on Monday again as Samson and Mustard are sneezing, I do hope I don't have something that is going to spread through the lot.

Typical, Mike has gone away for 4 days and I can't contact him easily.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Poor you - we are always worried about maggots at this time of year. Thankfully we are all clipped and will be dipping next week.

You have had a time of it at the vet recently. It can only get better surely.
The sheep were clipped at the end of May, because I was worried about flystrike, but with only 15 sheep dipping is not really an option. In the 8 years we have had them, last year was the first case we had, Doris had a bit because the shearer came to us late and I blame that. This year I was really pushy to get him early because of Doris.
It may be a bad year this year, because one of our vets was called out to a case- one sheep was dead and another was quite bad- it hadn't been sheared and he had to clip it with scissors to see what was going on.
I do wonder if something else is going on with Elsie, being 13 years old and a bit arthritic, now we have her in for a few days we have started her on danilon ( usually for horses) but we already use it for a goat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
The sheep were clipped at the end of May, because I was worried about flystrike, but with only 15 sheep dipping is not really an option. In the 8 years we have had them, Doris had a bit last year because the clipper came to us late last year and I blame that. This year I was really pushy to get him early because of Doris.
It may be a bad year this year, because on of our vets was called out to a case- one sheep was dead and another was quite bad- it hadn't been sheared and he had to clip it with scissors to see what was going on.
I do wonder if something else is going on with Elsie, being 13 years old and a bit arthritic, now we have her in for a few days we have started her on danilon ( usually for horses) but we already use it for a goat.
OH has been hearing of quite a few cases. Heat, wet, heat, wet - never a good combination.

Hope all is ok.

Catsey Veteran

26-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #10

I can't believe this, I went out at about 10 to take the goats in and Pepper was nowhere to be seen. She was lying down at the other side of the field, all the others were at the gate. That set the warning bells ringing to start with. When I got up to her she was breathing really harshly, and it was a real effort to walk down the field ( she has arthritis and had obviously got cold). Got everybody in, put a rug on her and called the vet. She has a chest infection and URT, so she has been given a long acting antibiotic and metacam. I suspect the weather is partly to blame for this as well, she is an old girl.
The vet was very nice, I was a bit embarrassed at seeing him twice on a Saturday, but he was saying he had been out to a mare today with mastitis ( usually due to flys infection the udder).
I can now say I a totally fed up of this weather, its causing problems for large animals outside.