Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed tortoishell
08-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Fat Cat

Hi everyone, I'm new to forums, I have a lovely mixed tortoiseshell cat called Poppy, we got her from our local vet, where she was advertised on their wall as being in need of a loving home, being a stray. She is a very good talker, humming, purring and making lots of other noises. very playful and loving.
The only trouble is I have now, is that Poppy has gone from
being a slim cat to a fat cat, possibly because of her love of food. She was slim in the vets, and they did say she was on a diet, presumably less food, but I am wondering how to get her weight down without actually starving her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #2

Re: Fat Cat

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
08-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Hello and Welcome to Catsey. I have a 2 year old daughter called Poppy. I hope yours is much better behaved

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #4

Welcome to Catsey! How old is Poppy, and what does she weigh? Is she an active cat? It's simple in theory: feed her less, have her exercise a little more; but, unfortunately much easier said than done..very hard to resist that small starving cat face they use! I'd suggest discussing this with your vet and find a food that will satisfy her urge to feel full after eating but that is less caloric. (And hope she'll eat it!) And try to get her to play more.... feather on the stick, ping pong ball, laser pen, etc.
What food is she on now, and how often does she eat?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Welcome to Catsey!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

Hi and welcome to Catsey

Catsey Junior

15-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #7

lovel to hear you have a daughter called poppy, our poppy is getting a litle bit slimmer, but is still making lots of funny noises to try and get her own way! I used to be able to use my pc quite often at night, but since we have had her, she hates not being 'noticed' sonow i have a cat that sits on my lap and goes to sleep (sometimes over my arm) while i try to type out things on the computer. Apart from your daughter do you have a cat? Serena

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
15-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #8

Hi Serena, Welcome to Catsey!
I run pet weight-watchers at our vet practice so if you need any diet tips, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help!
p.s-we need to see some photos of Poppy

Catsey Junior

15-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #9

poppy is about 5-7 years odl she was adopted, from our local vet and is a mixed tortoishell, she was 4.75 kg but at the moment don;t know what her weight is, although i am trying to get it down, we have managed to 'slim' her down a little it, putting her on low fat biscuits from the pet shop. she makes a lot of noise when she wants food and a lot of funny noises too. she acts as if she is starving and does a good impersonation of a 'poor cat in from the cold' thing which i am trying hard to ignore! i try to get her to eat 3 times a day (small portions) but every time i make for thekitchen she follows me straight in there and yowls very loudly! Thequote on a snooze button when a cat wants breakfast. As I am hard of hearing i take my aid out overnight, but she overcomes this by sitting on me and patting my nose (licking it as well) till i get up. I try to pretend to sleep but she never gives up! You have a lovely cat too.

Catsey Junior

15-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #10

thanks for replying, i am not sure how to get pics of poppy online, but will try. she is mainly a bit fat, but am trying her on biscuits to keep her stmach full with the occasional 'wet' food and tesco cats milk. She has a wide range of noises and seems to know i cant hear her very well being hard of hearing when my aid is out till morning, she sits on me and pats my nose till i wake up for breakfast! thanks for your help