Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
31-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Torn ...

I've seen a lovely grey and white boy at the rescue centre I volunteer at, who has chosen me as being his person. He's ever such a cute cuddly boy!

Problem is, if I took him on (family permitting!!!) would I be betraying Beauty by taking him? I don't want to be pushing Beauty aside to take on a younger boy! (after Beauty's gone of course!) I somehow feel as if I'd be betraying Beauty by getting the boy!

Advice please?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #2

Re: Torn ...

Everyone handles grief in a different way. Some people can't bear the thought of a new cat too soon; others feel a terrible void and need a new little one to love. Only you can make that decision.......

Catsey Veteran

31-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Everyone handles grief in a different way. Some people can't bear the thought of a new cat too soon; others feel a terrible void and need a new little one to love. Only you can make that decision.......
I couldn't live without a furry face in the house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #4

I think you need to make sure the next cat you take on is a healthy one. You need to be quite strong and pragmatic to take on a cat with serious health issues and I feel you've really struggled with coming to terms with the finality of Beauty's illness.

I don't necessarily think or feel it's a betrayal but everyone deals with the loss of a pet differently. You'll need to see how you feel after Monday. I'd leave off lining up a new pet until you know how you've dealt with loosing the one you have.

Catsey Veteran

31-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I think you need to make sure the next cat you take on is a healthy one. You need to be quite strong and pragmatic to take on a cat with serious health issues and I feel you've really struggled with coming to terms with the finality of Beauty's illness.

I don't necessarily think or feel it's a betrayal but everyone deals with the loss of a pet differently. You'll need to see how you feel after Monday. I'd leave off lining up a new pet until you know how you've dealt with loosing the one you have.
The grey and white boy seems to be healthy - he's 3 with no health difficulties that I know of!

I will be going with my brother to introduce them to each other on Sunday (my brother likes the look of his picture) but we won't be making a decision yet.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
31-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #6

I think Yola is right. Only you can decide how you feel but give yourself chance to grief. I had accepted Willow's illness and it was relief in the end when she was PTS. Of course I was devestated but I had come to terms with it.

Take things slowly