Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
26-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #1

almost took in a stray today

my OH got home today after stopping by his work with a story. he works at a lumber mill and there are generations of a stray colony that originated at least thirty years ago. that colony has been there a long time and incidentally is where kuan yin was found.
he saw a black kitten today wandering on its own much around the same age/size kuan yin was (about four weeks old). he tried to grab it and it bit him to the point of bleeding and ran! LOL..safe to say that it's already gone feral i think when we got kuan yin she was just on the brink of going either way so we were lucky.
in a way it was probably for the best b/c we already have four cats..two of them are ill seniors but still..not sure how kuan yin would react to not being the youngest.
on the other hand it's getting colder and halloween is coming up and he has some coworkers that have been abusive to the animals that hang around his work and i'm a little worried for it.
but then i can't save em all.
i can't believe he was trying to bring it home. he still adamantly says he doesn't like cats (yeah, right).
oh well, thanx for reading.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #2

Re: almost took in a stray today

Tough decision! I understand it's possible to redeem a feral if it's young enough, but a long difficult job ... and with your two oldies???? Then again, you do have such a way with animals...head says "no", heart says "yes". Yeah, your OH who doesn't like cats.....sure he doesn't...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #3

Maybe just as well he didn't bring the kitten home, Tink.

Keep an eye on the bite that your OH got from the kitten, especially if it was a feral..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #4

It would be great if we could save all the ones we heard about or seen wouldn't it.

Please tel your OH to watch that bite.

I once looked after 3 ferals, one I think was a lost domestic as he eventually moved in with us. The two females were his daughters and although one eventually let me touch and stroke her the other never came close. You must have been lucky with your kuan yin.

I'm sure if it is in the colony and finds its way back to the nest it will be fine.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
26-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

yes i told him if he ever does come across another that seems in need, any animal that is, to bring it home and we'll bring it to the humane society at least so it can be fixed, vaccinated, adopted and such.
we don't need to bring EVERY one we find home LOL
but at least he won't feel like he has to leave anything behind just because we have a "full house".
i thought that a decent solution

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

Yes, good solution Tink and your OH knows what to do in the future (so long as it doesn't bite him!). It's very hard when you know the sort of men that he works with and how cruel other people can be. He's a gem, your man!

Cats owned: 4 Mixed breeds - all Seniors
26-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #7

The cat that I almost adopted, was not a stray, but a 4 yr old neutered male, from a friend. Karen told me that she had to take her cat to a shelter, because he was not getting along with a 6 mo. old kitten. She said if she would have thought about it, she would have brought McCoy to me. At that time, I would not have been able to say 'no'.

The shelter told her they would try to find him a home. When she called the shelter to check on his status; because he had been there for 1 week. They told her, he was so stressed from being at the shelter, he had a 'kitty heart attack' & he went to Heaven.

I told her McCoy is in a better place now. And financially, I just couldn't afford to take on another critter. I have 4 senior cats & a rather large puppy.

We don't see too many strays around here; there are hawks in the area.