Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: soon to own 2 tabby rescue kittens!
30-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #1

A question for those who feed their cats a raw meat diet.

Hello, I am due to get 2 kittens in 3 weeks, and I am wanting to introduce a raw meat diet, was wondering if anyone on here feeds their cat/s raw, and if so what is the best way to introduce it gradually? And what is the best meat for them? Do i need to add any suppliments?
Thanks Emmaandhercats. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #2

Re: A question for those who feed their cats a raw meat diet.

I have very little knowledge about this. I have to ask why though? You would need to be very sure they got all the nutrients etc. they need. Alfie certainly enjoys the odd bit of raw beef as a treat.

Look forward to hearing other members views. Maybe someone will come along who has experience with that type of diet.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #3

Hello Emma
Do you mean you want to give your babies raw meat as part of their diet or are you planning a barf (all raw) diet?
All raw is quite complicated and will involve supplements etc.
If you do plan barf I take my hat off to you - I was very interersted in doing it for my two but somehow never got round .... story of my life!

There are some long and detailed threads here if you search on raw feeding etc. You'll even see a video of my Bentley, quite young, munching on a chicken wing!

Come back here if you want to ask new questions or chew (arf arf) the subject over again.

Catsey Junior

01-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Hello Emma
Do you mean you want to give your babies raw meat as part of their diet or are you planning a barf (all raw) diet?
All raw is quite complicated and will involve supplements etc.
If you do plan barf I take my hat off to you - Come back here if you want to ask new questions or chew (arf arf) the subject over again.
Hi, yes I was wanting to introduce an all raw diet (barf), the way I see it is this:- I dont feed my son processed food, so why would i feed my kittens them! I have looked alot into it,am a trained chef (tho not professional anymore!) so I know what is nutritious, how to prepare foo etc, and luckily have a very good butchers round the corner! but was just wanting some peoples advice, etc and maybe some info on where to buy the suppliments, and which ones are the best. Thanks for 'hat' by the way!
Emma xx

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #5

I've had a quick look through old threads but there doesn't seem to be one comprehensive one.
This may be the best link and gives a recipe with all the taurines etc

I've reminded myself that minced beef is a no-no unless it has been previously frozen

Keep us posted won't you? (and make me feel guilty about not doing raw - but they do get chicken wings and rabbit legs)

Catsey Junior

01-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I've had a quick look through old threads but there doesn't seem to be one comprehensive one.
This may be the best link and gives a recipe with all the taurines etc

I've reminded myself that minced beef is a no-no unless it has been previously frozen

Keep us posted won't you? (and make me feel guilty about not doing raw - but they do get chicken wings and rabbit legs)
Chicken wings and rabbit legs, at least they are getting them! thats v good for them! and i bet they love u even more for it!
I will check out the link thank you. xx

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

How to munch a chicken wing (excuse dark vid - but you can hear the happy crunching)

Catsey Junior

01-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #8

Ah bless! OMG...I am so excited to get my kittens, only 3 weeks and 2 days...It feels like ages though!
I have just read that link that was posted, it is full of useful information. I am going to have a look at the websites that sell the suppliments, and print off some recipies! x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #9

Good luck. Sounds like you've thought it all through!

Can I butt in (even tho' it's not my thread ) do you mean give chicken wings, bones and all? See, you need to forgive me, I'd just panic they choked!!!!

Bet it'll be the longest wait ever until they arrive.

CM

Catsey Junior

01-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Good luck. Sounds like you've thought it all through!

Can I butt in (even tho' it's not my thread ) do you mean give chicken wings, bones and all? See, you need to forgive me, I'd just panic they choked!!!!

Bet it'll be the longest wait ever until they arrive.

CM
chicken bones:-yeah, bones are important in a cats barf diet, calcium is fundamental for a cats diet.

And 3 weeks...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...im going mad waiting! my neighbours cat is sat on my lap now, padding my fluffy dressing gown! luckily he is a great substitute till i get my kittens!