Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Preparing Merlin for Winter!

I am thinking about what I could do to help Merlin beat the cold weather. He feels the cold so, being an elderly and thin cat. After having a word with Kazz, I thought I would ask Catsey members generally about what food supplements I could give him to aid his immune system and, hopefully, help him store a bit of extra to give him a better chance of beating the cold.

Any suggestions would be welcome - I have already earmarked Elvisisboss' salmon oil, which I am sure Merlin will love as he is very fond of salmon.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
18-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #2

Re: Preparing Merlin for Winter!

Hiya Angie

We get a product called Nurish-Um (made by M&C) that is a great vitamin supplement and can be given to Merlin every day. It comes in a tube and is a yeast-flavoured paste and you can usually get it at Pets at Home and many smaller pet supply stores. Merlin may not like it, depends on his tastes really, our Miw loves it, but Mousie won't touch it.

For those cats with hairball problems (like Miw) M&C also do a product called Defurr-Um which is great!

Salmon Oil sounds good......will have to look for that!

Tina

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #3

Salmon oil and such like probably wont do any harm, what about some cozy beds in cozy spots for him to retreat to, perhaps a radiator bed.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
18-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice Angie, on cat supplements, but I just wanted to give lots of cuddles to Merlin which I hope would keep him a bit warmer for a wee while

I'm sure he'll be snug as a bug in a rug soon enough.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #5

Hiya Angie since our chat I have made a few enquiries and come up with this......... Geriatri-UM meant for elderly cats.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

Just googled that Kazz -

http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/products/h...eriat_tabs.htm

Seems really good value - I think I will give it a try, together with the salmon oil and, as you have suggested, extra bits of fatty meat and skin as treats. He already has the vegetable oil that bacon has been cooked in - only a small amount and there is never anything left. I think that's what he's looking for when he goes scavenging in the dishwasher!

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Elaine, I would love to get Merlin a radiator bed, but I am not sure he would be able to get up and into it - but may give it a go. He does not have his own bed, as from a kitten he always changed position nearly every night and was not a predictable little puss. He now always sleeps with us. When I go to the Petfood Warehouse I look at the lovely looking little beds and wish he would have one - but he does have his own fleece at the bottom of our bed.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #7

Maybe a radiator bed wouldnt suit, I remember getting one for Winston but he found it a bit unstable under foot, he did however just love his mikki cat snoozer.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...316&pf_id=5105
On colder days i would slip a heat pad into it for him and he just loved that.

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #8

That is just the cat's pyjamas! What a lovely bed - got to get that!

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #9

Eva and Bernie love them too, so quite a hit with 3 cats of differing personalities, cannt be a bad selling point can it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #10

I found myself putting "cat steps" around the house....so they could get onto the bed the sofa etc just noxes upturned.

And another point I started to raise their food dishes slightly too to help their digestion....found an argos catalogue was just the right height..........