Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #1

yow-ing

Last night Beauty was yow-ing. She came in to my room (really restless), looked at me settling down to sleep (bearing in mind it was about 11pm) and she suddenly yow-ed! It sounded for all the world like she'd got something stuck through her paw! (she hadn't - I checked) but she's not been right all this afternoon either. She seemed to be OK this morning, but she's back to being really restless!

I know what normal behaviour for her is, although she sometimes does wander around the house, she doesn't usually make any noise! Hearing her loudly yow is HIGHLY unusual.

Can anyone help? (I don't think it's her arthritis, if it was then she'd have gone to find somewhere comfortable and warm, preferably in the sun)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #2

Re: yow-ing

I've forgotten: how old is Beauty? Yowling/wailing, especially at night is often a sign of the beginning of senility in an older cat. My Patches did it; it's so distressing to hear. Often, picking up or cuddling the cat will make it stop. Think we had a thread on this; Angie mentioned that Merlin was doing it. Will see if I can find the thread ......

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

The rescue centre reckoned she was 8 but I think she's between 10 and 14.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #4

Well, that seems a bit young, but I suppose it could be....... I think Patches was about 16 when she started.....

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #5

We've had her howling before, but it was because she could sense an earthquake coming (5 point something on the richter scale) I'll see how she does - it could be that she's sensed something wrong.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
11-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #6

Hmm...I hope Beauty is okay & not yowling for a serious reason.
Has she yowled like that yet today?

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKatz
Hmm...I hope Beauty is okay & not yowling for a serious reason.
Has she yowled like that yet today?
No, she just been doing her nut in the garden, racing in and out of the back door and round the garden.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #8

Beauty's "yow-ing" and behaviour doesn't appear to be the same as Merlin's. He yowls seemingly because he is now deaf and doesn't know where "his people" are. He stops immediately he can see us - he will be 22 next month.

Beauty sounds as if she is agitated about something else - especially as you describe her behaviour in your garden this afternoon. Always supposing that you are not about to have another earthquake (eek!) has anything else odd happened in your surroundings in the last 24 hours or so - strange noises/weather etc.???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #9

Could another cat have come in your garden. They could have left there scent there.

jane

Catsey Veteran

11-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Beauty's "yow-ing" and behaviour doesn't appear to be the same as Merlin's. He yowls seemingly because he is now deaf and doesn't know where "his people" are. He stops immediately he can see us - he will be 22 next month.

Beauty sounds as if she is agitated about something else - especially as you describe her behaviour in your garden this afternoon. Always supposing that you are not about to have another earthquake (eek!) has anything else odd happened in your surroundings in the last 24 hours or so - strange noises/weather etc.???
I've not noticed anything strange ...