Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Bengals
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #1

bad bad food!!

Hi there
I have been looking into cats foods and ingredients and have been absolutely horrified at some of my discoveries. But in the process I have discovered some REALLY good ones , and would like to share with you.
Purina make horrid food as do whiskas. Feeding your cats these foods.... its like feeding your kids a macdonalds. It tastes ok but its full of bad stuff, so nutritionally speaking it is worthless. when a child eats McD's hes hungry again quickley as there is no nutritional value, the right things are NOT in the meal. The same applies to purina, whiskas felix and most supermarket shelf foods. Have you ever read the ingredients on your cat food? try it many will have by products as one of the top ingredient (they are listed with the biggest quantity first down to the smallest). do you realise what by products are?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_2FHiT_iq8
I hope you can listen to it . it is VERY eye opening!!
Thanks

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #2

Re: bad bad food!!

Yeah you're here now!
Believe me everyone...Mummsy knows her cat food! She can tell you anything about it!!!
So happy you're here!

08-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #3

thanks babe!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 kittens
09-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #4

i think everyone has known for a while the majority off cat and dog foods arent good.But its what that person can afford .Ive had dogs live to 16 and never an illness and been fed pedigree which isnt ment to be a good one.My 2 cats get fed asda meat in jelly which they love and asda biscuits which again they lap up.I think some people could feel guilty when reading your post that they arent giving their cat or dog the most expensive but they shouldnt.and i for one love a mcdonalds and so did my kids.now they make up there own mind if they go in and they do.infact my daughter works for them part time while studying at uni.

09-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #5

some of the foods I have found to be cheaper than royal canin, science plane and iams etc! so not necessarily. I am not trying to call all folk names for feeding those foods I am just trying to help people make an informed decision. How many people actually know that some of the cheaper foods can contain cardboard for fiber and recycled leather for protein???
If someone can not afford to buy one of the other brands so be it, I am not going to have a go at them. but as I say not everyone realizes, just like I didn't 4-5 months ago. I now try to spread the word that we do have some fantastic foods available that are much healthier.AND healthier foods have been proven to prolong the lives of our beloved furkids!!
only trying to help everyone

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal
09-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

Mummsy i knew id find you here!! haha you have made me obsessed with cat food! I even gave our senior consultant thoracic surgeon a lecture on what he should be feeding his cat the other day dont know what came over me, i looked up the ingredients on the net for him.... what have you done to me mummsy!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

Hi mummsy and welcome to catsey.
Pet foods are pretty much under discussion on Catsey on a regular basis, if you look through alot of the posts in this section you'll find that we all have differing opinions, budgets etc and strive to do the best we can by our animals.
Masterfoods, Mars etc pretty much have the monopoly with regards to pet foods, these are the makers of of foods such as Whiskas, RC and JWB, to name a few. I am constantly looking at whats best to feed my cats, since having had a cat with CRF, and its not always easy.
The one thing I am pretty keen to avoid though is a completely dry diet, as this only makes a cats kidneys work harder from the off set thus we are now seeing CRF cats at much younger ages rather than in older years.
That said, Winston, through out most of his life was fed whiskas, felix, go cat etc. He had very little dry food as it wasnt as common as it is today. He was diagnosed with CRf at the age of 18 and a half and lived until he was 21. He had never been for a dental and had all his own teeth.
Thankyou for sharing with us.

09-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #8

Hi, sorry to hear about the CRF
there is a really good wet food called applaws that is minimal on ingredients, there is also another called natures menu that is good. I have to say the 2 pet shops near me have bought them in special for me and now their sales are growing as more folk try it and see how fab they are. Bengals are very sensitive and corn and wheat and gluten are really bad for digestive systems. I have striven to find healthy foods to avoid tummy problems that occur so often with many breeds not just Bengals.
I am not trying to preach, please dont get me wrong, just share what I know

09-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #9

Ha ha I collared an older lady in Tescos the other day!! converted her to tescos finest.
go Lara, go Lara, go Lara!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #10

Hi again mumsy, I currently work in the pet industry, which by the way i am getting out of soon and moving into a better direction. Sadly for Winston, applaws and natures menue had only just arrived on the market just before his demise. Eva and Bernie however enjoy them emensly. It should be noted though that applaws is a treat food and doesnt contain taurine.
I know you are not trying to preach and we all strive to be better informed especially when it comes to our pets best interests. All at Catsey do what we can for our pets and we do have their best interests at heart.