Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic short hair
14-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #1

A sad introduction (sorry it's long!)

I'm feeling so sad at the moment and finding it hard to come to terms with losing my gorgeous 10 year old cat Charlie. We had to have him put to sleep on 7th March 2008. In the Autumn of 2006 Charlie was diagonosed with annemia, his body wasn't producing red blood cells very well and his red blood cell count was not great. They put him on tablets which he had to have every other day to help him. He picked up and he seemed so well, then at the beginning of March he didn't seem himself, hiding himself away, we took him to the vet and they thought it was a virus and not to do with his annemia and they gave him a vitamin k injection to see if that would help him. They said to bring him back in 2 days time if he seemed no brighter and they'd run tests. He got no better and we took him back to the vet. They put him on a drip as he hadn't eaten or drank much for about 4 days and they ran a blood test, and they found he had no red blood cells in his blood and they could do nothing for him. They said the kindest thing to do was to have him put to sleep and the way he looked at me was if he was saying 'mum I'm ready to go' and this was the kindest and most selfless thing I could do for him, but the hardest thing was to say goodbye knowing I would never see his beautiful face again and just have him in my life. My husband misses him but not like I am. I feel so lost and miss him so much it hurts. We also have his sister 'Tips' but at the moment I find it hard as she knows he's no longer about. I can't stop crying, I'm trying hard not to as I have a 2 year old boy, who knows something is wrong. I just wish I knew how to feel better. I just miss him so much, it's only been a week since we lost him but in some ways it's seems longer ago I saw him, if that makes sense. Sorry this is so long but just feeling so awful at the minute.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
14-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #2

Re: A sad introduction (sorry it's long!)

Welcome. I`m a newbie here but you have found a wonderful site.

Nothing can replace that hole in your heart and grieving is normal-I know it`s a platitude but in time the pain dulls and the good times are in your memory forever

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
14-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #3

I am so sorry for your loss. As you say it has only been a week and you are all over the place. Your feelings are natural. (I lost my old guy 6 years a go and there are times I have a cry over him).
You did the right thing for him. You need to go with your feelings right now. You are also helping your son to know that when we are upset we cry. Tell him mummy's sad today she misses Charlie. Do some of your crying when he isn't there too. Tell yourself that 'I am upset but I will cry after when the baby is in bed'. That allows you to feel sad when you are able rather than being overwhelmed by it.

Big hugs to you right now((((((((((((())))))))))))) we are always here to listen

RIP Charlie, run free XXXXX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #4

I am so very sorry for your loss. Most, if not all, of us here have felt your pain at one time or another, so we do understand how difficult it must be for you right now.
All I can say is time really is a healer, it does get easier and talking about them does help.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you can find some comfort soon xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #5

Hi, warm welcome to Catsey...So sorry to hear about your loss....We can all understand how you feel, It will hurt for a time, eventually you will be able to think of Charlie and have lovely memories of him....
It will just take time...Take care....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #6

Welcome to Catsey. We all sympathise with your loss and understand your pain. As the others have said the hurt will pass with time. Babycakes' advice on dealing with your sadness and your little son is excellent and will I'm sure help you to deal with it. ***lots of HUGS ***

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
14-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry for your loss. Please feel free when you feel up to it to share your wonderful memories of Charlie.

Catsey Junior

14-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #8

My Charlie!

Catsey Junior

14-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #9

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and will share my fond memories of Charlie as & when I feel I can.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #10

Lovely picture, can see he is a very special boy...