Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Gray/White Tabby
24-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #1

Vomiting after play?

Hi everyone!

You could call me new here, but I have been around on Dogsey since I can remember, lol. My husband and I recently got a new kitten, so here I am on Catsey!

My kitten is called Socks. She is around 7 months old. My question is this:

Socks will go into the bedroom where her dry food is located and will eat until she is full. Then she will run around like a complete idiot, or typical kitten, in other words. Then, she will start heaving and out comes her meal. And a lot of it. She will usually produce two to three large piles of vomit.

She has done this many times. After she vomits, she gives it a sniff, looks at me like I did it, then it's off to play like an idiot again.

There doesn't seem to be anything unusual in the vomit itself. It's just... um... chewed up food.

Any one have any ideas? Thanks a ton!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Re: Vomiting after play?

Poor Socks!
Can you step in and ensure she plays first and eats second? Hopefully play + meal should = sleep, so she can digest her food quietly. I would think that would be first step, to make sure it is just the juxtaposition of play and food which is causing the problem. If you can do it, and the vomiting stops - problem solved! If you do it but she still returns her meals then there may be a problem and you may need veterinary advice.
Makes it all sound very easy and matter of fact - I know real life isn't that easy but good luck - hope it works!

Oh - nearly forgot .... Welcome to Catsey!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
24-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Warm welcome! I agree whole heartedly with DM's advice above. Do let us know how you get on....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
24-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #4

I hope that the play first eat second works. It might help to feed her very small amount if she continues to eat and vomit as then she has less food so it might stand more of a chance in being digested. either that or trying to keep her somewhere quite and clam. Both those are proably much easier to think of than actually do as kitten are rather wiggily. But it might be worth a try.
best of luck
sally

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #5

Welcome to Catsey!

I agree too, Socks must try to learn to play first and eat after....

We'd love to see some pics her too, please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
24-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #6

Hello and a Warm Welcome.

I would suggest if DM's sugestion doesnt work how about giving less dry food. Little a lot kind of thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

Hi welcome to Catsey...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
24-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #8

I agree with all of the above. But if it continues try changing the food. I don`t know if companies change the composition of food but Cleo started throwing up her food a couple of weks ago. We took her off one type of `whiskas` and the problem stopped.

A welcome from me as well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
25-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #9

Welcome to Catsey I can't add anything that hasn't already been suggested but it sounds like she is an exciteable kitty who likes a full tum and doesn't know when it's sensible to stop I read once that cats tend to eat just a mouse sized portion at one sitting and having observed my girls with their dried food, they do just eat a little bit then come back and top up as needed hehe.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
25-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #10

I've not read the whole thread as it's late but.......are we talking about one big meal which she has at a certain time ?

You're on 'Dogsey' which I asume means you have a dog.?