Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
21-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1

Transgendered Cat? o_O

This is going to sound a bit silly. XD

But, uhm.

My Mother is convinced that Honey is gay, whilst my sister is convinced that Honey is Transgendered.

Why?

He is the only male cat we've had with no specifically male characteristics. I've had two male cats before, and my Mum had had cats of both sexes all of her life.

He is most definitely male, and he will be a year old in March.

He shows some dominance to our much older male cat Spike, but otherwise just follows him around like a shadow, wanting to clean him and cuddle with him at all times.

He spends hardly any time outdoors, he has no urge to 'wander' and is not neutered yet. He much prefers to stay indoors and follow me around like Daddy's little boy.

My sister is convinced that he "looks" female, but I think he's just a very pretty boy.

He is also very dinky/small, and fully grown.

Anyone had a similar male cat?

XD I am sure that he is not "gay" or transgendered, but it certainly makes you wonder.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Re: Transgendered Cat? o_O

Honey is just gorgeous! He's a cuddlebug is he? Many years ago a friend of mine had a male cat that she took to the vet to have neutered and the vet said it wasn't necessary as he was a "poofy cat". (Not sure if this story was ever actually true!) I'm sure things like that can happen. But your Honey looks SO LOVELY, does it matter much to you? If he has not been "done" yet, why not just whisk him along to your vet and get an opinion?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

He's gorgeous - I've liked him since you first introduced him to us.
I would agree that a trip to the vet might be in order. Can you actually see/feel his plums? If not they may be retained in his abdomen, which would make him very prone to cancer later on. Whatever - he's best without them anyway. He may just be a late developer but 10 months is high time to part company with his boy-bits.
Or maybe he's a bit of both (hermaphrodite). In that case it def. needs a vet's attention, to determine the best way forward.
It's good that Honey's not bothered about *things like that* - don't want that pretty face to look 'bovvered'

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Oli sitter!!
Tom_J is Male
21-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #4

awww he is sooo cute go to the vets and see and keep us posted

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #5

I agree that a vet trip is advisable, get him checked out for possible medical problems with undescended testicles, and the op if required. While unusual, homosexuality is found in other species as well: mammals, birds, etc. So he may be gay. Technically "transgender" refers to people who've had hormone treatments and the op. Whatever, he's a lovely boy!!!

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
21-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #6

Actually, it doesn't. C: 'Transgender' is a rather broad term for people who identify as something other than their biological sex for one reason or another. You may be thinking of 'Transsexual'?

Judging by this website: http://www.whitebearanimalhospital.c...17.MaleFem.htm
His kitty plums are certainly 'out'. So I don't think there's any troubles there.

My new job should be starting soon, so I can whisk him off to the vet ASAP for a good examination before he gets neutered. C:

And Angieh, you are completely right - it doesn't matter either way, because he's precious to me regardless.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky
Actually, it doesn't. C: 'Transgender' is a rather broad term for people who identify as something other than their biological sex for one reason or another. You may be thinking of 'Transsexual'?
Quote:

Judging by this website: http://www.whitebearanimalhospital.c...17.MaleFem.htm
His kitty plums are certainly 'out'. So I don't think there's any troubles there.

My new job should be starting soon, so I can whisk him off to the vet ASAP for a good examination before he gets neutered. C:

And Angieh, you are completely right - it doesn't matter either way, because he's precious to me regardless.
I was using the terminology that's common here in the States in the gay community, may not be medically correct. Nonetheless, Honey is a little charmer whatever he is; glad to hear about the new job!

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
21-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #8

Ah, well, I'm needlessly picky sometimes. XD Comes from being FtM Transgendered myself, and running a couple of little online transgender communities.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
21-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Ah, well, I'm needlessly picky sometimes. XD Comes from being FtM Transgendered myself, and running a couple of little online transgender communities.

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
21-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #10

Eh? o.o What is it?