Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 5 Different kinds
BigDon is Male
18-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

Hi there...not the happiest of intros, but it's all I've got right now...

I will save the life story for later...for right now I will just mention a very recent tragedy. On January 16th, 2008, I had to make the most horrible decision ever. I had to put down my cat Sylvester. He was a six toe cat (24 total, obviously). I rescued him from being put down by the local "humane' society back in 2002. He was 7 at the time. I tried everything that my Vet and I could try. He had just reached that point where he no longer had control of all of his faculties. I had two VERY good friends with me when I took him to the vet for the last time. I asked them to stay with Sylvester and me through the whole ordeal. I have cried before. Several times, in fact. But I have never felt such grief and loss as I did on that day. It's going to be a while before I can let go of that.
I have been surrounded by my other cats ever since. They know something was wrong. They are helping me get through.

All I can tell anyone is, give your kitties a great big hug and tell them you love them. The life span of a cat is way too short. Don't let that time fall through the cracks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #2

Re: Hi there...not the happiest of intros, but it's all I've got right now...

Warm welcome to Catsey, although I am sorry you have found us under such sad circumstances. Sylvester sounded such a special cat and how lucky he was to have found you. Take comfort that you showered him with love and affection in the time he was with you and when the time came you gave him the best gift you could, to let him go with dignity. Time is a great healer and I am sure you don't really want to hear that right now but in time, the pain you feel right now will be replaced with happy memories of him. {{{Hugs}}} for you, most of us on here know how you are feeling right now and we are here to share your grief and help you through this difficult time x

Cats owned: 5 Different kinds
BigDon is Male
18-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #3

Thank you for your heart-felt reply. It's going to be tough for a little while. But, soon, I will be talking about and introducing my other feline friends to everybody. I have been blessed with several wonderful cats. I hope you enjoy their introductions as well as I enjoy having them around me

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
18-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #4

Hi and welcome

Sorry to hear about Sylvester They leave a massive hole in hearts when they leave us

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #5

Welcome to Catsey

I am sorry to hear about Sylvester, he sounded wonderful. Take comfort in the fact that you were there for him, you made his days on this earth fantastic and you showered him with love and affection. He loved you for that. Take time to look after yourself right now. We are always here to listen to you and share your memories.

Can't wait to meet the others too.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
18-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #6

Hi and Welcome to Catsey

So sorry to hear about your loss with Sylvester Like Fran said its not a thing you want to think about right now but you will soon have your grief replaced with all the wonderful memories you and Sylvester shared.
Just also have piece of mind that you gave him the most wonderful gift a human can give to their furry friend and that was his dignity at the end when he needed it the most.

RIP Sylvester and run free on the rainbow bridge and chase the butterflies

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Hi Don - welcome to catsey.
I'm sorry to hear of Sylvester - it's never easy to lose a good friend. Maybe you would like to write an obituary for him in our 'Gone But Not Forgotten' section? It might help.
Here in UK we have an animal charity called The Blue Cross which runs a telephone bereavement counselling service. Here is the number from the UK - I don't know if you can access it from abroad though - 0800 096 6606. Maybe you could check online, if you think it might help you?

Look forward to hearing about your other cats, when you feel ready

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

A warm welcome to Catsey, Don....

So very sorry to hear about Sylvester, sounds like he was a wonderful, special cat.
Many of us here have experienced the pain you are going through at this moment.... take comfort though in the fact that you showed him love, kindness and gave him the greatest gift of all....... release from anymore suffering..

You think you will never get over the sadness of losing your furry friend but the time will come when the sadness will turn into smiles and happy memories of him.

We are here to listen and help you through this difficult time so when you are ready, we look forward to chatting with you again..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #9

Hi Don - welcome to our friendly forum. I hope we are able to offer you a virtual shoulder to cry on whilst you get over the loss of the lovely Sylvester. You gave his a good life and you gave him the kindest gift you could, which was to help him on his way when his time was up. A very selfless act which one day he will thank you for.

Would love to chat more and hear about your other cats when you're feeling in slightly more 'chatty'.

Take care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #10

Hello and welcome! You are in the right place to share your feelings and memories of Sylvester. We have all been there and love our pets dearly. He sounds like he was a wonderful companion and was very lucky to have found you. I look forward to hearing tales of your other cats and in time when you are ready, tales of Sylvester and his escapades!