Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #1

My 2 y.old Maine Coon needs a home

I've 'acquired' a Maine Coon stray about 8 months ago ago, at 1st he was ok with my other 3 cats. One of my cats has since been put to sleep at Christmas cos he had cancer and it was his time (he may have been the 'top cat')SINCE then the hierarchy seems to have changed, the Maine Coon is reaching social maturity at 2 y.o and his true colours are now showing! He's driving the others away with psychological warfare (ie guarding the cat flap, chasing them, mounting the girl, and has even I think bitten my girl cats bottom, leaving a nasty bite wound). I've spoken to a top cat behaviourist, and due to him being used to guarding his territory etc, for ALL of our future happiness he NEEDS TO BE THE ONLY CAT. He is a n/m, my other cats are wary of him, cos altho he is very sweet and gentle with people, he frightens other cats off. He is a gorgeous boy, prefers people to other carts and needs a loving home, with his own garden , not too many cats in the neighbourhood, (as he could do serious damage if he wanted, he's a strong cat), and AWAY from roads. He needs grooming religiously every day, and would suit a couple who have had a Maine Coon before. It's a REAL shame as it's not his fault he's had such a bad start in life, and now my home isn't working out despite all best efforts If anyone would like to share their life with a real character and think they can offer him a good home I will pick up any messgs here..BTW I live in Hampshire. Would be happy to accept visits to see him 1st, but new owner would have to pick him up, or I could take him to you, all depends on the sit.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
16-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: My 2 y.old Maine Coon needs a home

oh that is a real shame, some cats are harder to integrate into exisiting families than others

I acquired a stray last year (Tink) and he's a buggar with my youngest female, he chases her, mount her, but since his chop he seems to have gradually lost interest he sneaks up on her when shes eating, even though we feed them seperately.
We tried all sorts of approached, in the early days we seperated them and gave him time out to calm down. We sometimes use the time out tactic even now. Tink has his crazy days where he is just a total rat-bag to her and there is no other action than to put him in a bedroom to calm down.

Anyway up shot of the matter is there is some sort of equilibrium between them, they dont snug up with each other, but we certainly have less chasing and terrorising.

So I can completely empathise with your concerns, you just want them to be settled and now it sounds like you have to take some alternative action.

I send my best wishes to you and your cat and hope that you find a new home soon - best of luck - keep us posted !!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your cat.
Have you tried contacting M/C rescue or Cats Protection?
Do you have a photo of him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
16-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

A same but not the first time we've heard of group dynamics changing in a multi-cat household and leading to a rehoming.
I think MC rescue might be a good first base.
Good luck to you all

Catsey Senior

17-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #5

I've been on the MC rescue website but can't see how to advertise. My digital camera is very temperamental but I have managed to print off a photo of him and have advertised his plight in my rural vets. I prefer to rehome him myself and am confident that I WILL find him a lovely home (one where he doesn't have to feel that he has to be on hi-alert all the time!) Quite sweet, I burnt some lavender last nite and he snuggled up on the bed between my legs and near my other cat (who was by my shoulder) and actually STAYED there when my other cat (very gingerly) came in! Good stuff lavender.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #6

Just a thought, but have you tried things like a Felliway plug-in or rescue remedy in his water? It might be just what he needs to help him chill a bit and feel less threatened. It might make the situation more tenable until you can find a permenant alternative home for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
17-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #7

My brother is going through a similar thing. He has two 8yr old n/f and he took in a 2yrold male who is owners abandon . He has been feeding matie has he is now called for 12months outside. A cat charity neutered him and took away the female who had her 3 litter in the same year but they couldnt take him in as well. He now goes in and wants to stay warm when he chooses. His other two cats are not very found of him and his and growl but his perserverance has paid off. He had his injections done last week and now they are getting on better than before. I understand how you much feel about it and i know you will do the best for your cat. Like yola i would try the feliway plug they are supposed to calm cats down my vet recomended them to me for Simon and guinness for stress.

jane

Catsey Senior

18-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #8

I've had the feliway plug in since he arrived, in the hall, best place as I have a bungalow; both my other cats have aspen bach flower drops on their food 4x p'day as recc, there is rescue remedy in all the water bowls (but not the pond, can't do that unfort!), and lavender in the burner at nite. I have a calm house. I play with him lots, hide his food in egg boxes, paper bags etc,. Added to the fact that I have a partic nervous 11 y.o Birman who's a bit of a mummy's boy and took to living in the hammock of next door's garden all summer (and is now living and eating in the conservatory, closest he'll come since his bro died), ADDED to that I have spoken to 2 published cat behaviorists who have said exactly the same thing now...the little lad has to go. No point dragging it out any longer in the hope that one day they will all get on, they won't. He needs to be an only cat. Doesn't really help me and him to stay 'detached' from it all now that he's starting to get all snuggly with me on the bed every morn!!

Catsey Senior

18-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

I have been down to the camera shop and managed to get some photos of the young man put on cd, but how to download them is another prob. Anyone know how? I'm not PC illiterate but looks like you have to put them on an 'http://' before sending them...? I'd like to post them on here if poss.

Catsey Senior

18-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #10

Oh dear, have i got it wrong?!