Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #1

Stressy cats being sedated

Right, just wondered if any of you have or have had a veryy stressy cat? Was he/she a nightmare to take to the vets? Did he/she bite/scratch? Did the vet have to sedate them for the simplest of things, like claw clipping or something?
If so, how exactly did they sedate the cat?
The reason I ask is coz the Diva simply will not allow me to clip her claws and I am a bit worried that the dew claw is too long. The thing is, she gets herself so upset that I then worry that she is gonna colapse on me. She doesnt actually bite or scratch but she does swear alot making vets etc nervous of her. I am not in the least bit afraid of her and I know she will only bite me if she is in pain. My concern is for her not me. Vets say she will need to be sedated and I have always said no, not for something so trivial. But if i cannot get her dew claws clipped then it may not be so trivial after all.
So how do they go about sedating her? Do I give her a valium or something before going to the vet or do they do something there like injection or something?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

Re: Stressy cats being sedated

Cassie is very nervous at the vets but I don't think she is as bad as the Diva, Elaine..

I had to get the vet to clip her claws last year, including the dew claw. The vet layed her on her side and somehow clipped her claws in such a way with her own arm keeping Cassie's head away from what she was doing. I really though Cassie would bite but she didn't....just gentle growls..

Maybe Amber will see this thread and let you know what her vets do

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #3

Thanx Mags, honestly you have to see her to beleive her. She clings to me like a child would to its mother, I have to tear her off me. I am quite confident about holding her but I understand others being nervous of her. I just worry for her as she snorts and gets higher and higher, I always think she's gonna hyperventilate or something.
I have NEVER experienced a cat like the Diva in all my life. But I do love her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #4

It baffles me all this talk of sedation and such lol! When I clip my lots claws, I just grab them and do it, not a peep out of any of them. I wonder why some cats are like the Diva and others couldn't care less!

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #5

I know Alex, I've never had a problem clipping claws etc. Woody was a very stressy cat, but once you had a good hold of him, he'd just let you. Winston and Mutley were never any problem at all and Bernie is a bloody wriggler but we get there in the end.
You know how when you hold a cats head before tableting them and they normally poke their heads forward to try to free themselves? Well the Diva pulls her chin right in so you cannt get at her mouth. I've just got used to that one and i manage to tablet her, normally on the third atempt, but we get there.
She is so aukward at absolutely everything.
Is there a Ceasar Milan of cats going around at all. I think she needs to be balanced

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
28-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #6

I don't know anything about sedation but I do have a wonderful spray which I bought at the vets ages ago, it is supposed to be a relaxant type spray I think, it eases stress in cats. Fantastic stuff but perhaps not strong enough for the Diva?

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah5
I don't know anything about sedation but I do have a wonderful spray which I bought at the vets ages ago, it is supposed to be a relaxant type spray I think, it eases stress in cats. Fantastic stuff but perhaps not strong enough for the Diva?
That wouldnt be felifriend would it? I do use rescue remedy before we go to the vets, have used felifriend before but it didnt seem to make much difference but she was never quite as bad before as she is now. Since they tried to muzzle her and i got quite annoyed with them, she is much much worse than before.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
28-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #8

Hi Elaine.. well the one I have is called Feliway, it's a pheromone spray but you can also get a plug in one I believe. The spray stuff you can use twice a day and spray it around the house - along doorframes, etc. and use for up to a month. I found it to be fantastic when we moved house and when we got a new kitten (for our older cat).

Although the poor Diva sounds very stressed poor love. Might be worth a try though?

Good luck x

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #9

Thanx Sarah, it is the same stuff that i have used before but no harm trying again. I just get fed up stressing her out by taking her to the vets only for her to go back into the carrier with out anything being done to her coz she is in such a state, and then i still have to pay for the consult

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #10

what about the sereneum tablets Elaine, I used them on Brioxi when we travelled back from Scotland in the summer!