Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
24-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Would you buy a pedigree cat if?

If you came across this website would you buy a kitten?

The breeder doesn't give the registered pedigree names of her stud cat or the mother of the kittens nor does she display their own pedigrees as most breeders do these days.

The breeder will only sell the kittens as pets which will be "unregistered" but still wants pet pedigree prices for them! Selling for pet only is not unusual of course but every breeder I know always registers even the "pet" kittens on the non-active register.

How many people would pay going rate (they are slightly cheaper but only about £75) for a pedigree kitten with no papers and therefore no proof it is one?

The breeder appears to be trying to follow GCCF guidelines - they will come with kitten pack and insurance at 12 weeks old and with all vaccs etc - perhaps she doesn't know about the non-active register for nonbreeding peds or scarier still is the inference to the more suspicious of us that these are not able to be registered as the parents are on the non-active register and therefore their offspring CAN'T be registered

Sorry for the bit of a rant but there are enough non pedigree and pedigree kittens around without breeding "pedigree" kittens which will never have any papers ..... Is there really a market for them especially at near full registered pedigree price? Am I just being naive and this actually happens all the time?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
24-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Re: Would you buy a pedigree cat if?

No, personally if I wanted a ped i'd get one with papers and one which I knew it's full history and parents. Sounds a bit fishy to me. I'd at least want to see their parents pedigrees e.t.c.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
24-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #3

OOO I know what I think and it's not nice but there are so many qualified breeders on this site which will give sound backed up advice to this I'm sure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #4

Nope I wouldn't be expect many will.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
24-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #5

Sadly Soupie I expect there will be. I wouldnt, most on here wouldnt, but this person obviously has a market and is doing ok.

Now my website is up and running again, Ill make mention of such things in the "good breeders" guide when I do it.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #6

I wouldn't buy from them; sounds quite fishy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the parents were on the non active register. What a shame .....

Catsey Senior

24-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Sadly Soupie I expect there will be. I wouldnt, most on here wouldnt, but this person obviously has a market and is doing ok.

Now my website is up and running again, Ill make mention of such things in the "good breeders" guide when I do it.
Dawn.
Thanks Dawn and everyone else for their replies. It's something I feel very strongly about particularly the price that is being charged for these kittens After all it is not that expensive to register each kitten is it in the scheme of things?

Fingers crossed the breeders of the two stud cats one male and one female will contact this breeder if they are on the non active register - it's been brought to the attention of the relevant breed chat lists

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
26-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #8

I think this person is up to something.

I bought Caspurr from a "recognised" breeder. I got to see Dad but not Mum???? We all know the health problems I've had with the wee man.

I still dont have his pink slip which isn't important as he is a pet but I kept my contract with her. I do have his pedigree though, for all it's worth.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
26-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #9

I definitely wqouldn't buy a kitten from this breeder or anyone similar. I would think that the breeding cats are on the non-active register and she therefore can't register them. This could so easily be found out by the new owners who can apply to register them and would obviously be told by the GCCF about their parents status. She is playing a very silly game if this is what she is doing.
The fact that she doesn't put her cats pedigree on the website doesn't surprise me as a lot of breeders don't do this because backstreet breeders can copy cats names from a pedigree off the internet and make their own pedigrees up. The fact that she doesn't put any of her cats pedigree names does however worry me.
She isn't following GCCF guidelines as they state that a pedigree kitten must be sold with registration documents and, unless agreed by both parties, and at least a 3 generation pedigree showing registered names, numbers and colours of all ancestors. If no registration is supplied then the pedigree along with a mating certificate should be given to the new owner so they can register the kitten.
I hope the relevant breed club/clubs do something and bring this to the attention of the GCCF.

Catsey Senior

26-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
I definitely wqouldn't buy a kitten from this breeder or anyone similar. I would think that the breeding cats are on the non-active register and she therefore can't register them. This could so easily be found out by the new owners who can apply to register them and would obviously be told by the GCCF about their parents status. She is playing a very silly game if this is what she is doing.
The fact that she doesn't put her cats pedigree on the website doesn't surprise me as a lot of breeders don't do this because backstreet breeders can copy cats names from a pedigree off the internet and make their own pedigrees up. The fact that she doesn't put any of her cats pedigree names does however worry me.
She isn't following GCCF guidelines as they state that a pedigree kitten must be sold with registration documents and, unless agreed by both parties, and at least a 3 generation pedigree showing registered names, numbers and colours of all ancestors. If no registration is supplied then the pedigree along with a mating certificate should be given to the new owner so they can register the kitten.
I hope the relevant breed club/clubs do something and bring this to the attention of the GCCF.

Kay the lack of their pedigree names concerned me most and the fact she does not appear to be looking at developing a line - just one male and one female. Not abnormal when starting out breeding but the whole website just seems to me.

I am actually considering reporting it myself as I am a member of two breed clubs which cover this breed but wasn't sure if I were doing the right thing.