Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
21-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #1

great entertainment indeed

i bought the boys some dried cat nip. at the moment its still in the box, but ronnie n reggie have been throwing themselves all over the box such a display, the box is now rather battered and chewed. ive put it up on the side in the kitchen but better find a new hidey hole for it,as ronnie keeps jumping up and knocking it down for another *hit*
i was in stitches watching those 2.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
22-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #2

Re: great entertainment indeed

aww cute! think i might get some for my boys!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #3

Sadly my furry flumps are completely oblivious to catnip Soudns like it's fun and games at your house tonight

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-12-2007, 03:10 AM   #4

You'd best lock that up somewhere safe overnight or they'll be into it! Leia doesn't pay much mind to catnip, she just eats the fresh I pick for her in the Summer and never gets all silly like some of them do. Wish you'd had a camera handy; that must have been a sight!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby and Moggie
22-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

I've bought some catnip for Leon and Shelby, and plan to make some toys out of it later for them! So much fun for them! And like you rightly say, entertainment for us!!

Sounds like such a laugh!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #6

I am intrigued why some cats respond to catnip and some don't. My Smudge used to love it and Merlin isn't bothered at all. I tried several times growing some in a pot or direct in the ground, but Smudge "loved" it so much, it died. Do you grow it yourself, Dandysmom - if so, any hints on cultivation?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #7

Yes, I do, Angie; it's easy. You can either buy a pot of it at the garden center or just strew some seed (also at most garden centers or garden catalogues) over the ground. If you get a pot it's best to keep it in a hanging basket where the neighborhood cats can't get into it, otherwise it gets rolled over on and chewed up! You can save and dry the leaves yourself; frankly I don't bother with that; just buy some when I want dried; much simpler. And it will self-sow...leave the flowers on it and nest year you'll have a patch! Quite a few cats have no response whatsoever to catnip, oddly enough; sounds like your Merlin is one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
22-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #8

my 2 never really bother with the shop bought toys containing catnip, but the packet of stuff has sent them wild. the box was all soggy n chewed by the time i rescued it LOL