Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tortoishell
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #1

cat drags bottom on floor

My cat sometimes drags her bottom along the floor. She has also licked the lower half of her tummy area so that the furr is disappearing. Anybody got an idea about this please?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

Re: cat drags bottom on floor

Do you know if she had been wormed and treated for fleas before you got her? That would be the first thing I'd think of....

11-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #3

Well I thought of worms and have used Drontal and just about to order some more to give her a dose. The vet says she is stressed but I can't understand why stress would make her do that. Also can't see why she would be stressed either.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #4

Some cats are just nervous by nature. Try getting a tonic called Bachs Rescue Remedy and add it to her water. It's a kind of natural 'chill out' herbal thing. There is also something called a Felliway plug in which takes a little longer to work but will give off destressing vapours.

Finally - I guess the vet has checked her out 'down under' . . . she's not suffering from cystitis or similar is she?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #5

Cats can become stress for no apperant reason, I haveone who just has to hear the door bell and he freaks out....Hope you can sort her problem out soon..

11-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #6

I might try the Bachs remedy actually. Mind you, knowing Bella she will turn her little pink nose up at it. I tried giving her some of the cats version of cod liver oil capsules which went down OK at first then it became a heck of a struggle so I gave in - she wouldn't touch anything that smelt fishy for ages after that, little minx!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #7

If she's scooting her bottom along the floor maybe her anal glands need emptying?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #8

Ok it sounds like one of two things, either worms, so if you haven't treated her recently get a good quality wormer from your vet or anal gland trouble which would require your vet to examine her and sort the problem. I'd try worming her first. Good luck and do let us know how you get on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #9

I was gonna say that since you have treated her for worms, I'd be inclined to have her anal glands checked.
As for the stress and rescue remedy, try putting a drop or two on your fingers and rub it into the tips of her ears.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #10

Worming was what I first thought of; also the anal glands being checked is a good idea. The Feliway plug-in takes a while to work, but it does emit stress reducing pheromones; plus it's not something you have to administer! I feel for you there, my Leia is impossible to pill!