Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Stray
14-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #1

Kitten & My Bed!!!

I need help before i die from lack of sleep!!
I have recently acquired a 4month old stray male kitten, who apart from at bedtime is well behaved clean and very playful.
He sleeps on the bed with us and will not in any circumstances stay on the landing. I have shut him out on the landing only to have him scratching the door, throwing himself at the door and crying for hours on end. When he is on the bed he wakes us up by licking us every few hours to be taken downstairs to be fed and use his litter tray - despite the fact he knows damn well where his food and litter tray are!!! (one night we weren't there, so i know that he knows where everything is by now!!!) Is he having us on???
If we try to make him stay on the floor he thinks were playing so for the past 10 days i'm getting about 4hrs sleep in total, help!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
14-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #2

Re: Kitten & My Bed!!!

Hello & welcome to catsey. My answer would be to shut him in the kitchen at night with his litter tray & food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
14-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Hi and welcome to Catsey.

at the moment he is training you and not the other way round. It's working well by the sound of it .

I go with Smudgley, you have to be firm or you will have no life (as you are finding out)
Be strong. Lock him in the kitchen and ignore him. OK it's not easy but you have to.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #4

Warm welcome to Catsey Certainly sounds like he has you wrapped around his little paw I'd be inclined to shut him in a room downstairs during the night with his food, water, toys and litter tray, I'm sure after a few night he'll get used to the routine and you'll manage to get your rest Good luck, do let us know how you get on!

Catsey Junior

14-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #5

Cheers Guys - my only problem is that i have an open plan kitchen - therefore no door on it and fish in the lounge which he loves to attack, so he can't sleep in there so im stuck!! He also loves water so theres no locking him in any of the bathrooms or toilets as he plays with the taps and plays under the water!!
If anyone knows of ayone who wants a kitten in the Swindon area please let me know, as we cannot keep him
xx

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

I personally do not advocate crates/cages but in the circumstances why not get a really large one? Put all his toys, litter tray ect in it at night. Do this for a couple of months until he's older and in a routine.

Or better still if you have a spare bedroom put him in there. Try a clock wrapped in something with your smell on it in his bed.

Sorry just typing away as things come to mind. Surely it's a bit drastic to re home him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #7

Claudia, why did you ask for help re a problem in your first post to then go on in your next post to say you are rehoming him? Don't you think re-homing him is a bit drastic? There are certainly ways and means round this problem...

Catsey Junior

14-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #8

i work all day, and am often away at weekends so i can't give him a good home and i feel awful for leaving him by himself, so i do really think he needs a family who can look after him better than me, plus the fact my mother comes down quite often with 2 big burly dogs who love nothing better than trying to kill cats and such like. I do have a spare bedroom but i don't want him going in there in case he decides to not bother using his litter tray.
Can he stay in the garage or something or does anyone know of anyone in the Swindon area who wants a kitten?

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #9

I'm sorry but I think your at it! You dont want to solve this problem at all.

Were offering solutions, trying to help you but you dont want help do you?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
14-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #10

I hope you find him a good home soon.
In the mean time I would shut him in the spare bedroom at night - and have a litter tray in there for him to use (not forgetting some food and water of course).
He will scratch the door to start off with - and you will have to ignore him otherwise he will train you to let him out whenever he scratches.

I wouldn't shut him in the garage - it will be really cold at this time of year, and there are usually no end of potentially dangerous things in garages that kittens could hurt themselves with if they deicded to play with them.