Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 kittens
25-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #1

Prejudices in adoption

Hi I am new to this forum but would like to ask members a question. Having thought about getting a kitten for along time I decided to get some numbers of local rescues in the Dudley area so visited my vets which had a poster up saying homes urgently needed for cats and kittens from KATS CRADLE brilliant I thought so I gave them a phone right away. The lady on the phone asked where I lived and I told her my estate at that she said NO WE WON'T CONSIDER ANYONE ON THAT ESTATE WE'RE WANTING ALL THE CATS OFF THAT ESTATE .Now my question is being homeowners and both in full time work, and on a relatively quiet street why are we not even getting considered. No home check nothing not even one question just a flat out NO.why is everybody tarred with the same brush. Has anyone else encountered this blatant snobbery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

Re: Prejudices in adoption

I totally agree with you, I think home checks should always be done and each case judged on its own merits. Its because of these stupid blanket rulings that make people turn to places like free ads etc, which in my opinion are awful. Rescues are full to over flowing and surely want to find good homes for the animals. I have had a similar experience lately while looking for a cat for a friend of mine.
Maybe you should try some of the independant rescues.
http://www.[Sys edit: Links to pet forums not allowed]/adoption/index.html
This might help you find some others in your area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #3

Warm welcome to Catsey! I have no idea why you have been turned down for a kitten, just because you live on a certain estate, it certainly does seem rather bizarre

One of our members on here, Smudgley, works for the Cats Protection League and I think she lives in your area. Perhaps you could pm her and ask her advice? Alternatively, hopefully she will be along and see this thread. Good luck in your search for a kitten. Do let us know how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Sorry my English geography is terrible, I had no idea Smudgley was near Dudley.
There you go then, Smudgley may be able to help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Sorry my English geography is terrible, I had no idea Smudgley was near Dudley.
There you go then, Smudgley may be able to help

Actually I don't know where Dudley is (I missed that bit) I just saw that she was in the West Midlands and that's the area Smudgley is in isn't it, although I guess West Midlands is quite a vast area? My geography is not hot either

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

lol @ Elaine & Fran!
Smudgley wil be perfect for kitty cat! Let's hope she's back on soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #7

That's terribly discriminatory tarring everyone in an area with the same brush! And not even consider a home visit? Awful! Hope Smudgley reads this soon; good luck in finding a kitten!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 kittens
25-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Warm welcome to Catsey! I have no idea why you have been turned down for a kitten, just because you live on a certain estate, it certainly does seem rather bizarre

One of our members on here, Smudgley, works for the Cats Protection League and I think she lives in your area. Perhaps you could pm her and ask her advice? Alternatively, hopefully she will be along and see this thread. Good luck in your search for a kitten. Do let us know how you get on.
thank you all for your reply. But the lady i spoke to from Kats cradle said that there was no point in me phoning PAWS or Cats Protection League as they would tell me the samething about rehoming to my estate.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
25-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #9

I live in Walsall, and had a Cat from Cats protection. Smudgley who does CP lives in Wall heath I think, so right by you. Im sure she will be able to advise you more, she's a good girl!

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat
thank you all for your reply. But the lady i spoke to from Kats cradle said that there was no point in me phoning PAWS or Cats Protection League as they would tell me the samething about rehoming to my estate.
I dont think Kats Cradle should take it upon themselves to become spokes people on what other rescues policies on rehoming are.