Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic,Shorthaired,Siamese cross
Gazo is Male
17-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #1

Toilet

Me again.
Cassie has now been going outside for a few months now, yet still appears to be coming back inside to go to the toilet. She stays in the house during the day, then I let her out for a while at night. We live in a reasonable built up area with a few grass patches around. Is there anyway I can disuade her from using her tray as she does?
Thanks,
Gazo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #2

Re: Toilet

Is there any reason you dont want her to use her litter tray?
If she's happy and only goes out for a short time at night I would say she's normal.

Gazo is Male
17-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Its a small open house (archway rather than door between downstairs main rooms and open banister with no doors leading upstair) and she's hasn't mastered the covering it all up technique
Kind of off putting when I have unexpected visitors!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #4

Ok I understand where your coming from. Easpecially if your sitting down for a meal .

Firstly you say she hasn't got the hang of covering up. How much litter do you put in? You could try to make it deeper. Also have you tryed a hooded litter tray?
I have two cats that never get out, you can enagin the amount of use my tray gets . the hooded trays do tend not to smell as much. I aslo lift the poo's once or twice a day to cut down on fumes.
Just my own preference but a cat that doesnt go out doesnt get nicked or run over.

Oh and you could try adding another litter tray to the house too.

Gazo is Male
17-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #5

Yes all personal preference isn't it.

I may invest in a bigger tray, mine is quite big, with a fit on rim and I use plenty of litter. She has the habit of scapping the actual tray and the tray liner when she's done rather than the litter - confused little thing!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

My Cassie has access outdoors and she will also use her litter tray during the day. I have a hooded tray for her which also has a built in deodorizer. I keep about an inch to an inch and a half of cat litter in it. It is cleaned out every day and I have never noticed any unpleasant smell with it.

She is always locked in at night so will sometimes use her tray during the night too.

Maybe you could look into getting a hooded tray for her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
17-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #7

I have to say I agree with the others, every cat is different and some just don't like 'going' outside and will come in to use them or prefer to do their business at night when it's quiet and don't get disturbed.

Trying to dissuade her from her natural instinct might be asking for trouble in that she might go somewhere innapropriate in the house.

A hooded tray might be the ideal solution and maybe experiment with different litters as some are better at masking odours than others (depending on if she's fussy about what litter she has).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
17-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

I definitely think a hooded tray is the answer. She may just feel safer doing it inside and if you take away her area to do it she will find somewhere else inside. I have known of cats that have full access to outside day and night but still prefer to use a litter tray. Sounds like she is one of these cats. Bless her. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
17-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazo
Yes all personal preference isn't it.

I may invest in a bigger tray, mine is quite big, with a fit on rim and I use plenty of litter. She has the habit of scapping the actual tray and the tray liner when she's done rather than the litter - confused little thing!

Aha!!! Another mad cat!!! My Misty is a little hard of the understanding too She thinks she has to wipe her paws on the sides of the tray too, rather than covering up her mess. She must of seen the paw action as a kitten, but mistook it for cleaning her paws rather than digging her mess over.

Glad its not just my cat that has a few brain cells missing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #10

My Siamese was an indoor only cat but allowed out in the fenced back yard with supervision: he always came inside to use the tray! I agree that a hooded tray might make her more comfortable....